Transformers science

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Cobalt Agent, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Cobalt Agent

Cobalt Agent My dick kills dinosaurs

Fictional aside, I'm sure we've all had moments when watching Transformers where we've said to ourselves "That makes no damn sense."

For instance- In the cartoon anything that goes through the space bridge apparently travels on "a beam of light." Now, light travels at 186,282.397 miles per second. That's 11,176,943.82 miles per minute. Now, apparently four minutes was enough time to transport to Cybertron, or so says Shockwave. That's 44,707,775.28 miles... That means that whatever was being transported couldn't make it out of the outermost limits of the asteroid belt, right? Yes, I'm that much of a fucking nerd that I took the time to not only think about this for an hour, but actually tried to do the math to counter something from an 80's cartoon.

Anyone else waste time thinking of stuff like that?

2. viper2391

viper2391 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    it makes no sense to question some of the science involve in TF coz its really just a cartoon show - fictional. Now if thats full of BS then how about questioning the science behind Superman? He had a kid in Sup returns, how come? He's alien right? Louise Lane's body could have easily rejected his... you know because of DNA incompatibility again a waste of time because its just fiction.

3. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well, one can assume the light isnt how they travel, but rather the excess energy from the machine escaping through the top, like the stacks in a power plant, and that they just teleport through hyperspace, or whatever, to arrive instantaniously.

4. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    a very well written essay on TF technology/science:

http://transformersfanfic.com/index.php?view=PublicSubmission%2FBody&categoryType=library&publicsubmission_id=1560

(and you guys thought all i do was spam ;) )

5. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Transfomers science = Star Trek science = Star Wars science = Science Fiction or maybe Science Fantasy

6. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Dare I mention 'mass-shifting'? ;) 

7. Psychrome86

Psychrome86 Well-Known Member

you just pissed off a lot of people. it's only fiction until someone makes it. Being able to call up any piece of music you want through a computer was science fiction on the next generation until mp3s were introduced. automatic sliding doors were science fiction. an electronic brain was science fiction. anyone else remember that little transforming robot we were all buzzing about? as for star wars; laser guns are in development :) 

8. Phy

Phy I want... ROOM SERVICE!!

News Credits:
    Maybe he pissed you off, chochacho; all I want to do is replace those equals signs with less than or greater than signs.

9. snkeyes069

snkeyes069 Legend in his own mind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Lois was protected from her kid by the placenta's and umbilical cord's ability to nourish the fetus while isolating the fetus's blood from the mother's...the same way every other pregnant woman on the planet is protected. Otherwise, the mixing of maternal and fetal tissue (ie: blood) would result in not just miscarrages, but routine death of the mother early during pregnancy!!

Assuming the merging of Kryptonian and Human reproductive cells could result in the production of a viable embryo/fetus/baby, Lois could have easily carried the kid to term (assuming super-strength develops AFTER birth...cuz OUCH!!!!!).

Now, can we bring this discussion back to something based in fact...like mass shifting sentient robot life?

10. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:

* My apology, it was not my intention to do. I enjoy TFs, ST & SW but, I've never worried about the science much less the physics involved. I know as well as anyone that something must first be dreamed before it becomes reality. You left out ST Communicators/Cel Phones and Data Disks/ Floppy Disks onward. :wink: 

Arthur C. Clark, author of 2001 a Space Odyssey (among many other things) once stated: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." The Transformers just took that to heart. Besides, they are millons of Earth years ahead of us in technology.

Many years ago I created the theory that the Transformers have access to a "pocket dimension" I called "The Out". In this pocket dimension, objects can only exist in something akin to binary code, encrypted by each Transformer so that, e.g. Prime's trailer doesn't appear on someone else. All Transformers also have the born ability to also exchange mass with this pocket dimension. I once wrote a short story where the character Backscatter, (who can travel across dimensions in certain situations) got trapped in "The Out". To make a short story even shorter, he manged to cling to the Master Sword before Fortress Maximus summoned it forth to battle Scorponok.

11. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

You're right. But not really. :) 

While stuff in sci-fi that seems outlandish often ends up becoming reality, I think it's still pretty safe to say that Transformers is "Science-Fantasy", along with StarWars and a few other popular properties. I mean, obviously this distinction is contingent on a somewhat arbitrary sub-dichotomy between "Fantastic Sci-Fi" and so-called "Hard Sci-Fi"... often self-consciously referred to as "Speculative Fiction" by more pretentious fans who feel they need to semantically legitimize the genre somehow.

But I think this term actually is useful... the intent of the work is probably the strongest criterion for determining what brand of Sci-Fi you're dealing with. "Hard" or "Speculative" sci-fi is usually a conscious effort on the part of the creator to present a realistic and plausible vision of the future. Science-Fantasy on the other hand, is not limited by those precepts... instead it presents a fantastical scenario, where the speculative science is secondary to spectacle and entertainment.

In some cases, some of the most fantastical science-fiction can still be read as a sort of allegory for where we're headed as a civilization (or where we ARE already), but I think that this can still often be "Fantasy" as well. There are all sorts of variations. Star Trek:TNG for example has almost nothing to really say about the future, but has lots to say about -right now- (or the 80's at least). Practically half the episodes hinge on some thinly disguised metaphor for a contemporary social ill or dilemma.

Anyway, I think we can agree on this much... even if we concoct all sorts of pseudo-science to explain the peculiarities of the Transformers universe, the setting is first and foremost an action-packed heroic Science-Fantasy, meant for entertaining children with wild flights of imagination. In this sense, I think it is located much closer to Masters of the Universe than say, Macross... despite the presence of transforming mecha.

Thoughts? :) 

zmog

12. fschuler

fschuler Member TFW2005 Supporter

13. Psychrome86

thoughts? more questions than anything else.

so what's the difference between fiction and fantasy? what i've gotten from you is that the beholder must call something fantasy if it's obviously never going to happen and fiction if it's closer to reality (for us as humans on earth). however, how can science fantasy exist? are you saying that if they try to explain the technology it's science fiction and if they just ignore science completely and write whatever they want it's called science fantasy? why not just adventure fantasy? i believe flying was a fantasy at one point. the earth revolving around the sun was fiction? can we just call it all the human mind at work? besides, time is relative. starwars apparently happened in the past, TF is now and star trek is what it could be and who knows how many other stories exist in an entirely different plane. also, what is pseudo-science? you make it sound like plain theory. as far as i know, theory only exists until something is proven or disproven. i've learned that anything is possible until it is proven otherwise. and what was i wrong about in my first post?

14. Psychrome86

maybe i used the wrong wording. i probably should have said there's alot who would disagree with you. i'm one of them. :) 
    question: is technology limited to electronics and computers?

15. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Its all magic.

16. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Well, if you actually read my post, you would know that I said INTENT is probably the keenest indicator of whether something is Science Fiction or Science "Fantasy".

As in the intent of the artist, creator, company, etc... whether the material is -presented- as an exploration of possible futures, or just as imaginative adventure entertainment. It's all sci-fi to a degree... just that fantasy has a different goal.

Which is why I said you were right AND not right. Whether something presented in a movie -becomes- reality doesn't necessarily have ANY bearing on the original intent of the work. If the army is making lasers, that doesn't suddenly mean Star Wars is "Hard" Sci-Fi just because it actually happened. There are some interesting aesthetic notions in Star Wars that are significant to serious sci-fi... like the idea of fancy spaceships looking old, broken-down and dirty. That was sort of a fresh take as opposed to Star Trek's perfect, new and clean view of "the future". Still... Star Wars was never hard sci-fi, and neither was Transformers.

I think another distinction might be found in science-fiction that ignores certain scientific or physical impossibilities, while making no attempt to address them.

For example, the original Gundam involves far-out space dogfights between giant robots. That seems like fantasy... however, the fact is, they address and attempt to explain many of the "hard sci-fi" aspects of that genre while they do it... such as the impracticalities of bipedal robots (especially in space), arbitrary notions of up and down in zero-g, and, in a world of long-range sensors and computer guided missile systems, why would anyone even make visual contact with their enemies, much less get involved in a close-quarters space-duel? Old Gundam is cool that way... because it's smart.

Transformers meanwhile makes no effort at all to explain their mass-shifting, talking in space, gravity and atmospheric conditions on Cybertron, anatomical resemblance to humans, etc etc... ALL of that has been the fans. In fact, Transformers stands out more than most any other sci-fi property for generally ignoring almost all the most fundamental scientific questions posed about an alien race's life-cycle, culture, biology, origins, etc... Either ignoring, or providing half-assed, loophole-ridden offhand explanations that don't even hold up to a 9-year-old's scrutiny, much less an adult's.

That is why Transformers is a Science-Fantasy. Because we don't care. We are meant to turn a blind eye to these things, and just enjoy the space-opera. Much like Flash Gordon and his ilk, it is more about the fun than the serious speculation.

I thought I explained the whole thing pretty clearly already in my earlier post. I'm not going to re-write it, so just read it again. I didn't mean to say that you're really WRONG... just to point out a different perspective on the definition of "Science Fiction". :) 

zmog

17. Mad Dawg

Mad Dawg Autobot Brewmeister

Shockwave uses the spice, Melange. It gives him the ability to fold space and see the future. It also extends his lifespan well beyond what is normal.

If only he knew it is just petrified worm poop.

18. PrimeConvoy

PrimeConvoy ShickaBAM!

I usually just let things be, the thing I've only really that about is how Primus as a planet would work...I mean, you think after all the years living on him and that, that they would of realize he was there...I mean they build and construct, they mine minerals and material out of Primus himself...Sure i get it, he could have a outter core of earth and minerals but somewher they would of hit a arm of a leg or something...Dunno why these question bothers me but it just does.

19. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
  20. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Holy crap, I didn't know Lexicon was still around!