Transformers scale question

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by tannim31, Aug 23, 2011.

1. tannim31

tannim31 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Morning all

I was wondering if anyone had some insight on the different scales of the transformers toys? I can guesstimate from other threads that leader class are approx. 1/60 scale (I.E. DOTM Leader Ironhide) What scale are the Deluxe class? for instance DOTM MT Deluxe Bumblebee?

Thanks in advance to all that view or reply :) 

2. Karhukjnsi

Karhukjnsi Universal Wrestler

News Credits:
    You got Camaro Bumblebee AND F-22 Raptor Starscream in the DotM Deluxe line, there's no set scale ratio for any of the classes. You're better off asking about specific toys.

3. tannim31

Ebay:
    MODS: I Goofed on where to place this thread if you would be so kind as to move this to the toy general discussion it would be appreciated.

My apologies

4. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

While there's no hard sense of scale for each class, I am often impressed by how, if you mix and match the scales you can get a bunch of characters in something resembling proper scale to each other>

Deluxe cars would be about 1:35 scale I think... which makes them pretty close to scale with many of the leader class figures (Brawl, Starscream, Sentinel). Voyager Ironhide is actually pretty close to the right size next to deluxe cars, since the Topkick is so damn enormous.

zmog

5. tannim31

Ebay:
    Karhukjnsi: Thanks for the reply, I know there are no set scales regarding TF toys, I was just curious on the apporox. scale size (DOTM deluxe bumblebee specific). I am guessing 1/100 - 1/144 possibly? (I am going to do and articulated hand mod on it)

6. tannim31

Ebay:
    SMOG: Thanks, That helps out quite a bit. :) 

7. Bass X0

Bass X0 King of Muay Thai

News Credits:
    I like to imagine the vehicle modes in scale with each other based on their real life sizes and then the robot modes remain in that same scale, regardless of character.

This goes for all earth vehicle based series. I also think robotic beasts should be the same size as their real life equivalent and remain that size when transforming to robot mode.

Its when a Transformer has two completely different vehicle modes that things start to get screwy. Springer's okay since his alternate modes are Cybertronian. But the other G1 triple changers I have to compromise to come up with an appropriate size for their robot mode.

I've also imagined Micromasters to be no longer tiny and that their vehicle modes determine their robot mode size. It does lead to the likes of the Air Strike Patrol towering over Power Master Optimus Prime's combined form but I can deal with that.

8. Cast

Cast Roll the dice

I actually take the totally oppersit view to this, robot mode is the true size and that doesn't change when they transform, starscream turns into a tiny jet, astrotrain could fit your drive way in either alt mode, it just so happens that average sized transformers are about the size of a car, its probably why so many of them pick it as an alt mode.

I reason it like this, TF's don't get that people are meant to fit in them again this is cos to me people can't actually fit inside a transformer, there isn't room what with all the robot parts being in there too. Transformers to me turn into things that look like say a car, doesn't mean it the same size or in any way works the same as a car other than it moves on 4 wheels.

I know it doesn't fit with the fiction but to me its the only way it could work. But throwing adult logic at an 80'sd kids toy line doesn't ever end well.

9. Boulder

Boulder Rock Lord

HA HA HA HA HA Scale? Transformers? HA HA HA!

Alternators were 1:24 I believe. That's about where it ends.

I agree with Cast on this one. For the most part, I think that the larger vehicles are likely undersized. For example, Astrotrain is a space shuttle, not the space shuttle. (Though there's almost no way that Groove could ever be a scale that makes sense.) I always imagines that Broadside is a ship in the shape of an aircraft carrier rather than being a carrier he himself can land on. Perhaps he simply found the alt mode from a picture in Newsweek. And some of the mini-bots are much larger than other characters. Powerglide would be much larger than Beachcomber for example, but wouldn't necessarily be the same size as an A-10.

But that's just the way it is in my universe. YUMV.

10. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

With so many movie characters available in so many different sizes/classes of toys now, surely it's actually possible to put together a fairly accurate line up in a realistic scale?

11. SMOG

Y'know... that actually makes a lot of damn sense! I think as a kid, I tended to think in these terms a lot myself.

On the other hand, I don't really have a hard and fast rule about it... some TF's I think work very well as robots scaled to their vehicle modes, while others I could see as off-scale vehicles. I suppose just accepting wild variances in mass-shifting removes the issue, but I've never liked mass-shifting in general.

Yeah, as I mention above... if you mix and mass the price points/classes, you can get a line-up of movie characters that are close to scale with each other. Unfortunately, I think Prime might be the hardest to fit into that format though... if you take Deluxe cars as a starting point, most of the other characters have an edition that works for that scale, but Leader Prime is a bit too big and Voyager is too small.

And of course, we still don't have a Blackout in a proper leader scale. Hasbro was clearly asleep at the switch for that one.

zmog

12. Bass X0

News Credits:
    I think throwing adult logic at an eighties kids toy line is more in line with my proposal.

They're robots in disguise - the whole point is to blend in to their surroundings by becoming indistinguishable from actual vehicles. People are meant to fit inside the Transformers and we've seen this happen numerous times over. Although there is alien tech within them, they still function as their real life vehicle counterparts.

Warpath being a tank the same size as a small car would be a bad disguise. I see Mini-Bot as a size class like Legends; it has no relation to their size in fiction.

13. Cast

Cast Roll the dice

Yeah I said logic doesn't work with 80's kid tv show, I don't think your wrong and I'm right it just I like to think all my toys are in scale with each other at least. I could also say how often do most people get up close to an f15 or a shuttle, if your only seeing it at a distance them being tiny wont factor in.

I'd also point out that in beast wars very few transformers were to scale with there animal modes so it does have presidence in fiction.

14. Bass X0

News Credits:
    Yeah. I know about Beast Wars. They get a pass since I don't want a real life sized velociraptor interacting with a real life sized rat.

15. Scaleface

Scaleface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I had been working on actual size comparison based on their real sized. The movie Autobots might look like this:

[​IMG]

16. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Scale in the toyline is almost as inconsistent as scale in the original animated series.

Or this coloring book, for that matter.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 16, 2011
  17. SMOG

I totally hear what you're saying. I don't disagree. But I do like the sort of interesting suggestion that when TF's were modified into their Earth forms, it was only a superficial form of camouflage, they weren't taking all the factors into consideration, since they were new to Earth... and for that reason, the illusion is incomplete. It's an amusing idea, and sensible in a way... that is to say, it's entirely believable that mistakes like that would be made in a clash of such radically different alien cultures.

Well, considering "real life" Velociraptors were about the size of chickens, and a hefty dock rat can be about the size of a cat, I'd say that the scale wasn't so far off. If you want to start throwing in prehistoric rat species, the size discrepancy is even less significant.

Of course that doesn't account for the giant scorpions and wasps and ants (etc) in Beast Wars... but just sayin'. :) 

ZOMG! I remember that colouring book! I used to LOVE that picture of Ravage! Yeah, way too big... but I always considered Ravage to be about the size of an elephant. Always bugged me when he was depicted as being kitten-sized next to other TFs...

zmog

18. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    The elephant seems more kitten sized in this picture, compared to the hawk, the tree, and the plants.

19. Incepticon

Incepticon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've always been of the mindset (and my own preferred fiction) that TF disguises are superficially external only - not unlike a costume of sorts. For example, Robot X might look like a car complete with panel lines, decals, windows & tires, but that doesn't necessarily mean a human can open the doors, hood or trunk, let alone actually get inside the alt mode. So more or less exactly what they're like in toy form: alt modes that externally mimic something we recognize, but in no way actually function like the Earth versions of those alt modes (ie: having rumbling engines, exhaust, fabric seats, etc).

As for scale, I've never liked or agreed with the mass shifting cheat. If that means the Seekers absolutely tower over everyone else, then so be it. If that means Prime can't look Megatron (who is, let's say, a tank) in the eye, then so be it. That's what I like about characters such as Rumble, Frenzy, Perceptor, etc. being reimagined as having vehicle modes in Classics - we no longer have to factor mass shifting into their former lame tabletop device alt modes. Or on the same note, seeing characters like Seaspray & Powerglide being upsized from minibots closer to the scale they actually should be given their alt modes.

I know there are a lot of people that scawf at the idea of TF scale since it's never really been there in toons or toys, but they (Hasbro, IDW, etc.) could certainly make a decent run at it if they wanted to.

20. SMOG

Word. That's exactly how I feel too, though I think we're in the minority now, and especially since the Bay movies came out. It always seemed ridiculous to me that TF really functionally BECAME cars, with proper seats, steering, etc...

Again, I know what you mean, and within reason, I'd like to see scale adhered to more often. The way I see it, keep the scale consistent for the vehicle mode, unless the iconic value of the character demands that they be a different size... and in those cases, find a new vehicle mode (ie: Megatron as a tank).

Powerglide is a funny case, since A-10's are not especially big as far as jets go... so Classics Powerglide is still way off-scale compared to most other figures in the Classics line. However, based on his G1 profile, I'd love to see Powerglide re-imagined as a WWII style prop plane... his lower speed, higher manoeuvrability, and cocky attitude would go nicely with a F4U Corsair or a P51. :) 

zmog