Transformers: Salvation

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Anguirus, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    That was cool. I want more.

• Like Like x 1
  2. fishpop

fishpop Squishy

Ebay:
    I just finished reading this and that line made me chuckle.

While i am subscribed to Hachette's Definitive Collection, i do not know how recent into the IDW series it will get to but seeing as it consists of almost 30 volumes in a 60 volume series, (The Stormbringer miniseries & Spotlights Shockwave, Soundwave, Nightbeat & Hot Rod are Volume 36) i will say it will get pretty far.
    But what's my point in bringing this up? Well; despite the chances of 2 out of 3 in "The Dinobot Trilogy" being in TDC, i would most likely buy the individual issues anyway because they are really good comics that have kept me intrigued. While i don't particularly like the art style, i do think it help set a dark and moody tone for the story they are representing, even outside of this trilogy like when it appeared throughout Dark Cybertron during the segments about Prime's adventures while hunting Bludgeon & co.

TL;DR:
    I'm subscribed to big compilation series thing.
    Would still buy individual issues due to their story.

"Funny" thing: My voice is a little "shagged" ATM due to summer illnesses but i read out portions of the issues for my brother so he knew what was going on and when i read Bludgeon's dialogue; i could only do, what i'd call, a rather subdued rendition of Prime Starscream, minus the gravel, and it worked pretty damn well. I hope i'll be able to recreate this voice once i'm better.

3. SG Roadbuster

SG Roadbuster SG Wrecker

News Credits:
    Kei Zama's art is pretty good at conveying a darker tone, and it's much better.

• Like Like x 2
  4. ZombehDino

ZombehDino Scavenger

Twitter:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Definitely would have preferred for someone like Kei Zama to do the art for this (and the whole trilogy for that matter) but I can say with confidence that this has some of my favorite work by Livio so far. I still don't love his style but he made the characters emote well with how he drew them and I could understand what was happening from panel to panel, which are some big improvements imo. I'll go as far to say that I unambiguously love the way he drew Trypticon and Bludgeon, and that he fully succeeded in capturing the former's size and power as well as the latter's creepiness.

Overall I really enjoyed this book, and for better and for worse I find myself wishing this trilogy started with the same level of quality it ended on. I thought the dialogue was fun and snappy, I liked the nonlinear structure (not a first for Barber but still well done), and I appreciated the risks taken with the story. It got me excited to see what comes next and that's a refreshing feeling after the onslaught of crossover events. If nothing else, it's great to see Trypticon finally become the interesting character that his original bio always told us he was after all these years of him being consistently portrayed as a supersized brute. The concept of him being the surrogate father to the first new generation of Cybertronians in a long-ass time is one of the most compelling ideas to come out of IDW in a good while and, like I said, I can't wait to see where that plot thread goes.

The only thing about this comic that really rubbed me the wrong way was, as others have already said, the narration. It's a trope of Barbers that I'm really getting tired of. It was cool to hear Trypicon's thoughts but Slug and Sandstorm didn't seem to have much of interest to add and their inner monologues were more distracting than anything.

• Like Like x 1
  5. fishpop

fishpop Squishy

Ebay:
    Ehhh.. it does it's purpose in this trilogy fairly well but sometimes it looks too murky like in the Optimus segments during Dark Cybertron.
    I'm fine with it though.

6. Reask

Reask Predacon

That was pretty good, definitely a bold move to kill off Slug like that and I was certain Swoop would bite it too when they mentioned in the first few pages that he wasn't with them anymore too. Trypticon definitely is the star of the comic, you wouldn't think a dumb kaiju like him would have inner monologues after his one note history throughout the franchise but it is refreshing. Bludgeon, talks too much like any typical Bond villain which I can understand better now seeing as a few of you here have given decent explanations for his cockiness, but while his character and plans felt tired and old here, I got sentimental seeing Trypticon fire up his cannons and killing the old bastard. It felt like the end of an era at long last, he starts the series trying to control Thunderwing, and he ends the series trying to control Trypticon. A good enough death for someone like him. ... Until Starscream showed us his spark and body somehow survived. Now I would be interested in seeing what Monstrosity Starscream does next with Bludgeon and Slug, but it just makes me wish him dead more and more. I'm still baffled as to how he's still 'Emperor' of Cybertron. They deserve him all the same after electing him though.

Sandstorm, pure jerk, and while it wouldn't be right to kill him in front of all that new life, the Dinobots should have done it anyway. A good somber read filled plenty of monsters, both the hideous on the outside kind, and the hideous on the inside kind. :D 

7. ZeroiaSD

ZeroiaSD Autobot

Finally got it! I think this was the best of this series of Barber/Livio comics. Starscream was gold, the Dinobots and Sandstorm were great, Bludgeon is a strong villain, and I love that not even Trypticon really knows Trypticon's deal.

Plus 'Eukarian' as a verb.

8. Soundwave902

Soundwave902 The Lone Survivor

Question: Since when did Starscream take the title of "Emperor", wasn't he always "High Chancellor"

9. ZeroiaSD

ZeroiaSD Autobot

At the trial of Megatron, his title was "High Chancellor of the Refulgent Cybertronian Dynasty, Emperor Perpetua and Defender of the Realm."

From which I gather he was allowed to pick his own title.

• Like Like x 2
  10. DrTraveler

DrTraveler Once and Future Slicer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I just sat down, bought, and read the whole Punishment/Redemption/Salvation trilogy thanks to the IDW sale. That was a hell of a read. I think these three stories together have been my favorite runs since Last Stand of the Wreckers. It makes me sad again that Barber took his series to Earth after Dark Cybertron rather than follow the threads back on Cybertron like he had been doing in season 1 of his RID comic.

• Like Like x 1
  11. The Mad Demobot

The Mad Demobot Well-Known Member

I actually liked this one-shot, not knowing about the other two. Bludgeon is a good villain, Trypticon was a nice surprise, and the poor Dinobots can't catch a break. It's sad that in universe the Dinobots are hated for being these unstoppable soldiers while to us readers they're like super bad-ass. It's nice to get a different perspective on them that wasn't fully explored in Maximum Dinobots. I like Bludgeon's new Beam Saber; it's like the Dark Saber from SW: The Clone Wars where its this blade shrouded in a vast void sprinkled with little stars.