Transformers: Salvation

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Anguirus, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    No thread yet for today's best comic? It's so good it almost makes me happy that Monstrosity was a thing.

All the major threads and characters from Punishment and Redemption get a follow-up, and a thematically satisfying one at that. Essentially the two conflicts going on are for Cybertron's future--in the form of its last hotspot--and its soul, as Bludgeon's motivations are at last clarified and deepened.

Bludgeon's been a bit of a pinball in IDW, but this issue finally cements him to great villain status. He certainly has a weakness for monologuing, but that almost seems a reaction to his own loneliness, and the fact that he can kick your ass five times before you hit the ground. Three different protagonists have to outsmart him three different ways to stop him getting what he wants...which, refreshingly, is NOT just to stomp on Iacon for the nth time.

Strafe risks being the weak link, what with her nonstandard character design, her "new Dinobot" status, and the fact that you have to read Redemption to know ANYTHING about her. But all that ends up making her a reasonable audience surrogate, and the only non-newborn character to NOT be guilty of terrible war crimes throwing the others into sharp relief.

Unexpectedly, given that he hasn't really played a part in the trilogy yet and that he's not generally considered to sing under Barber's pen, it's Starscream who swaggers off with the book. His character development really shines through, as he confidently handles a crisis that would have reduced him to a sobbing wreck back in the early Robots in Disguise era.

Most important of all, the Dinobots have really clicked into place as funny but not overly broad characters. There's never any question if you are listening to or looking at Slag, Swoop, Snarl, or Sludge, and in particular Snarl, the perennial "other guy," gets a rare chance to shine.

The two most momentous events I'm going to Spoilerize for courtesy.

The boldest choice in the book is killing Slag--who's AT LEAST G1 B-list--at the very start, and having Sandstorm be responsible to boot. It's an understandable choice given that Slag really wrapped up his development in Redemption, and it's a fantastic death scene. There's even a backdoor path to his resurrection left open at the very end. Still, people who have been waiting for the Dinobots to reunite for YEARS are going to be very disappointed by this additional obstacle.

The most interesting thing that happens is a sort of meta-commentary on how Trypticon has been yanked to and fro as a villains' pawn for his whole career, in and out of IDW. Strafe's big play is just to release Bludgeon's hold on him, and given that Trypticon is a fully functional Titan who's more or less not had free will for exty million years, he resolves the plot then and there. It turns out that Trypticon, sick of war as per his motherfreaking original bio, just wants to protect and offer himself up to the next generation. In effect, this makes Trypticon another new "Dinobot."

Oh and with all that going on, I forgot Devastator's memorable and funny guest star turn as a really persistent bug on Trypticon's metaphorical windshield. Well done!

• Like Like x 5
  2. RNSrobot

RNSrobot Keeper of the Waspinator Swarm. Blam.

Goddamn I am buying this now. Thanks for the reminder!

3. ThePendulum

ThePendulum Active Member

never liked Bludgeon as a scientist. Not about to start. Not gonna lie, I want that guy dead because he's boring.

Everything else........I like. Slag's death was interesting, as mentioned already. Strafe is ...... as mentioned. Sandstorm's inclusion is interesting.

4. RNSrobot

Generally enjoyed it. Trypticon kicks ass.

However. And I can't be the first to say this.

Can John Barber write a story that doesn't feature first-person narration?

It's fatiguing. Especially when he switches narrators. But simply as a storytelling device, he's overused it to the point of tedium.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Focksbot

Focksbot Skeleton Detective

It's a very good story. Slag's early death convinced me that Barber was going to kill off a tonne of characters in an epic finale - I was thinking the rest of the Dinobots, Sandstorm, the Constructicons and Scoop. Amazed they all got out alive (for now), but quite a thrill to actually feel that lives were at stake again.

Sandstorm is badass - an expert tracker and sniper who doesn't blink going up against Snarl *or* Bludgeon, even though he assumes it's certain death in the latter case? And then he brokers a peace for the sake of the greater good, even though it loses him his ambush advantage. Unfortunately, it's a fairly safe bet that zombie Slag is going to want some revenge.

The Dinobots are also well drawn in this episode - with the caveat that it's still somewhat difficult to delineate Sludge and Swoop in personality. They're both basically friendly, loyal and talkative, with Swoop being less quick to anger.

Big downside for me is still the art - with someone more dynamic and consistent on board, this would be an A to A+ tale and worth the fiver it cost. As it is, it's just an enjoyable comic.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Anguirus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think it's as good as Livio gets which IMHO is not bad. It's a good story for him and he clearly had the time to put in.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Heliblade

Heliblade Autobot Vigilante of Kaon

This was good. The Dinobots as usual were cool, Bludgeon was a fun villain, Trypticon was weirdly endearing, and it was nice seeing Strafe, Swift, and Sandstorm again.

And how often is it that in a mainstream series that a Dinobot dies? I'll give the story credit for taking a chance.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Anguirus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Mainstream, hell, I can only think of The Beast Within. And I guess off-panel in ReGeneration One?

• Like Like x 1
  9. SG Roadbuster

SG Roadbuster SG Wrecker

News Credits:
    "I guess the old saying is true, you never know when a Giant Space Dragon is going to steal all of the children"

......best Starscream line ever.
    Just wish it had been rendered by a competant artist.

• Like Like x 6
  10. AnomusPrime

AnomusPrime Very sane, not crazy at all

Gosh I haven't got time to read it today. (And not reading the comments before I do.) I'm so excited though. Waited long!

11. ZeroiaSD

ZeroiaSD Autobot

Gah, LCS didn't have it, will have to wait to read!

12. DJW107PRIME

DJW107PRIME Autobot Hero TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I was sorry to see Slag go but I enjoyed this comic.

13. supernova222

supernova222 junkion

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    pretty good overall, i have really liked this dinobot trilogy
    love the change in trypticon, great surprise development there
    love that new lives are finally starting on cybertron, cant wait to see where that goes
    really wish snarl rather than slug went, slug had the most character and should have been kept around
    despite that, i want to know what gruesome S#$% starscream has for his body and that spark
    i was hoping it would end with them learning about grimlock and go looking for him

• Like Like x 1
  14. Nocturne

Nocturne Professional Ginger

News Credits:
    I don't usually care that much about the dinobots but this was a lot of fun! The art brought it down a bit but this was still a really good effort from Livio.

15. DireChymeras

DireChymeras Member

this made me really want to see grimlock return to his troops at some point soon, I wonder what he'll make of all this

• Like Like x 2
  16. YoungPrime

YoungPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm giving this a 8.5/10

PRO's:

-Bludgeon was imposing and a bigger threat than most villain of the week tend to be. That and they weren't quick to snuff him.

-They boosted Trypticon's character giving him more freedom than being your typical dumb brute he's usually seen as.

-Starscream's reign IMO has continued to improve. I was also wondering were Flatline was and I'm glad that he's still around.

-I enjoyed how Devastator handled himself again Tryp. More proof that Combiners and City Bots don't have to behave as dumb brutes.

CON's:

-Slag (not Slug...SLAG!) I don't like how he went out but since there's a cliffhanger I won't complain too much about it.

-Strife was annoying (but the rest of the cast were great IMO and I'd love to see Barber do more with this lot instead of what's happening on Earth).

-The Story's pacing seemed a bit off. The story seemed to fly by.

• Like Like x 4
  17. RNSrobot

Yeah, that's a plot thread that has been dangling for way too long.

Bludgeon rules.

Interestingly, I read that being sick of war and hating everybody and just... tired of it all is actually a neglected aspect of Trypticon's original toy bio! So it's not even a fully new take but a rare expansion of a trait given to the character but rarely explored. Neat!

• Like Like x 1
  18. Megastar

Megastar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    He'll be back.

• Like Like x 1
  19. battlefudge

battlefudge Well-Known Member

Holy smokes. I really enjoyed that. Starscream was great, I think he is about due for a book of his own.
    The story rolled along at a good pace. The action was used sparingly. I really liked that. Livio takes a lot of flak, and I have given it on occasion, but this time around I liked it. I thought it fit with the tone. Everyone was drawn well, I knew who each character was the entire time. Maybe a few flubs here and there, but overall pretty good!

For me I never really bought into Sandstorm's vengance/punisher character. Nice to see him grow a little. Though he was completely incidental to the plot.
    On the whole:8.5/10 seems about right to me!

20. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    Oh, I have to buy that.

• Like Like x 1