Transformers RTS-FPS game

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by TFProgrammer, Mar 17, 2009.

1. TFProgrammer

TFProgrammer New Member

Howdy all,

I'm a bit new and did a search but didn't find anything on this topic, so I'm putting out a thread to see if anyone would be interested in brainstorming for a Transformers RTS-FPS game.

So some basics (since I did some research over the last couple of months):

1. Why RTS-FPS? Why not RPG or MMORPG?
    Well, most RPG and MMORPG are about collecting items and gaining experience, and customizing skills and your character. Based on the cartoons, it seems to me that there's not as much "development" of individual characters or gaining of new skills; it's more about developing technologies, bases, units. That probably lends itself towards the strategy genre, and then individual missions could be more along the lines of FPS (or at least controlling individual heroes and using their abilities).

2. RTS does seem to be the closest to Transformers. We're not mass-producing units.
    Actually RTS doesn't necessarily mean you're mass producting units, for instance, Battle for Middle Earth and Battle for Middle Earth II -- producing many heroes. RTS also allows you to do real-time missions and deal with issues of supply and production. Often RTS games like Warcraft III and Age of Mythology also include World Editors or World Builders to help you create diverse worlds.

3. I don't like the micromanagement of RTS games.
    That's okay, I've played a ton of RTS games and want to cross a number of features. One game is Activision's Dark Reign, which includes having default AI or strategies for units (or groups of units). Likewise, there are default behaviors in many other RTS games such as Warcraft III (Auto-cast for certain units), Age of Mythology, Age of Empires II, Rise of Nations, BfME/BfME II, etc. Having certain units with default strategies programmed will simplify the game a little bit and allow certain players to enjoy the game more.

4. What are you looking for in terms of people to get involved?
    Typically there are a number of roles within software development organizations, such as artists/graphic designers, software developers (aka programmers), QA (in this case, game testers), program managers (who tend to focus on "business logic" -- or game features and mechanics), tech writers, etc.

At this point since we're still in brainstorming phase, probably just people who are interested in thinking through game dynamics and then minor prototyping, before making a business pitch (to Hasbro/etc.)

If you're interested, please email me ;) 

2. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

I agree, we need a combo RTS/FPS game. I played Battlezone, way back in 1998, and it was awesome. But that game was combo of FPS and a (for that time) regular RTS where you gather resources and build a base. I think that RTS part should utilize postulates from...say Dawn of War games, where you don't gather resources, but capture valuable strategic positions, which constantly increase your requisition points for ordering new units and upgrades.

3. Shipley

Shipley No Topic Required

News Credits:
    Activision holds the license and until Transformers grows as a brand a bit bigger, they're unlikely to produce anything other than 3rd person action games based on current movies or animation.

Not to be a stick in the mud, but if you're going to go through the work of developing a unique gameplay system, why not just create your own characters and try to sell it as an original game? You'll make more money and won't have to worry about activision/hasbro/paramount/whoever to please to crunch a release date for a big promo and fitting elements of a story or characters that don't work in a game.

4. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
    I'm not sure Activision has the license for the PC. But if they didn't, I doubt it would go to anyone outside of EA.

5. Shipley

Shipley No Topic Required

News Credits:
    Activision has a blanket license for Transformers games. the 2007 Transformers game came out for PC. ROTF has not been announced for PC, though that may be connected to PC sales and split development over 5 teams.

6. Raruto

Raruto New Member

maybe you should just... mod a prexistent game instead of doing a new one...

7. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
    Arise, Serpentor!!!