Transformers RPG

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by danny_the_mad, Apr 30, 2008.

1. danny_the_mad

danny_the_mad The lost Autobot

one of my writing projects is a Transformers RPG. this has been one of the biggest projects i ever started, and i still have lots to do. once things are completed, i'll be sending a manuscript (after editing, of course) to Habro and Takara. pending fees to sell the RPG title and whatnot, i think i can make it a reality.

basically, players will be Cybertronians from the good ol' G1 days, but utilizing current vehicles and such (a la Transformers live-action). each player can choose a template vehicle to build from. each template will have it's own bonuses and penalties, and will give a player a starting number of Energon Points. the points can be spent for the initial hardware (i.e.: weapons, sensor arrays), armor enhancements (specialty plating, force field), and the like.

templates will also have listings as to how useful it is to help fulfill whatever Primary Function the player may choose. for instance, a racing bike will be great for recon, espionage and sabotage, but not so great for heavy and extended combat.

the rules and such are the most difficult, but right now i'm in the research phase.

any Transfans here gamers that would be interested in seeing this in print, and playing it?

2. danny_the_mad

i guess no one is as interested in this as i thought.

i'm open to any suggestions as to how to make the idea of this more appealing. i just think it's about time we Transfans see a Transformers RPG on bookshelves.

3. Ripclaw

Ripclaw DementedDino1

give it time for people to respond

and i like the idea

4. danny_the_mad

thanks for the response, Ripclaw.

i can get a little nuts about this sort of thing. Transformers and gaming needs to be combined more often.

5. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    I think people may be a little leary of dedicating themselves too much to projects like this. I know of at least three different attempts to create a TF RPG, and none of them have every gotten anywhere with Hasbro. Additionally there are MUSH's out there that some people enjoy filling those with the burning need to role play as well.

TF's also have that silly (if you don't think it's silly, then I mean no offense) Attacktix tabletop game and the toys themselves offer everyone a degree of individual RPGing, so I don't think there's that big "need" that some people may think there is.

I'm not bashing it, in fact, the last time I saw someone seriously proposing an RPG with the idea of starting with the idea that anyone can just choose a TF and play if they wanted to with a set of Tech Specs, I was one of the people who helped test it out and I've still got a copy of the rules, I thought it was pretty neat and viable.

Additionally, there may be some players who just don't like your setting, and you admit you're still developing and it's difficult for the right set of rules to be made, so people may be hesitant to just jump on board until they know more about the project. It's easy to declare that you're working on a game/comic/dub/whatever, it happens a lot here really, but the number that are seen through to the end are very scarce, so why should people give time, effort, and energy into refining something that will never see completion?

That came off as more then a bit pessimistic, I don't mean to dishearten you or your attempts and hope that you succeed in your goals.

6. danny_the_mad

i appreciate the feedback, Pravus. i have seen these RPG's on the net, including a play-by-post or two, but they didn't offer anything i liked.

additionally, while the Attacktix thing is a neat concept, i just cannot buy into it. had Wizkids produced the game, i may have been more tempted.

i do understand that there have been more than a few who have proposed similar ideas, but i'm going through with this. though i am NOT an accomplished or accredited writer by any means, nor have i been published (that is, until i start releasing some of my source material for different games to Palladium Books), i feel i can do the idea justice. i can bring a fairly balanced game system to the table, and people can either re-live old adventures, or create new ones. the Robotech RPG is a grand example of how that can play out, and it's being reprinted after a HUGE demand from both the Palladium and Robotech fans.

in my mind, if i don't make this happen, who will?

7. Chaos Sorcerer

Chaos Sorcerer Well-Known Member

I think it's a great idea myself, but at the same time I find it downright baffling that given Hasbro bought Wizards of the Coast, and owns D&D and thus the D20 license, that they simply havent pumped out a Transformers and GI Joe mod themselves.

8. danny_the_mad

EXACTLY! they have the resources, there is a demand...why the hell not do it?

9. Optimus62

Optimus62 War For Cybertron!!!!!

I like your idea, I would be interested.

10. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

Sweet idea! I'd totally buy it! Hopefully there's templates so I can make my character a Jeep...

11. danny_the_mad

Jeeps, S.U.V.'s, A.T.V.'s, pick-ups...there will be quite a few templates for both civilian and military vehicles, as well as some ordinary objects (stereo, microscope, laptop).

12. weeklyhero

weeklyhero Prototytan

I was trying to come up with ideas for a MMORPG for TFs that uses similar ideas, so I'm definitely interested in this one.

13. danny_the_mad

i think that would be pretty sweet! play either a Autobot or Decepticon, upgrade your items, armor and weapons, and get some neat attacks. i can see it happening.

a thought for you all: i'm wanting to use the G1 origins storyline we all know, or would it be better to use the 2007 movie storyline?

14. MACRAPTRON

MACRAPTRON Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Actually, you'll have more chances of selling this to Hasbro if you create a RPG with your own characters.

As a fan project I agree, we need more TF games. I always thought about making one similar to Earthbound/Mother 2.