Transformers RPG!!! Will we ever see it.

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by lordtigerhawk, Jun 6, 2008.

1. lordtigerhawk

lordtigerhawk Well-Known Member

After the success of the transformers movie and the toy line do you all ever think we will ever see a Transformers RPG or The original G1 Dinobots ever be released? :crazy: :banghead: 

2. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Well, there's already a pen and paper transformers-style rpg put out a few years back, its name escapes me, it ties into the d20 modern system and was made by a third party publisher. It had rules for not only transforming, but size changing, minicons, combiners, and weapon - based modes. It was called mechaformers or mechatopia or something like that. EDIT: Mechamorphosis, that's what it was. Also, there's mechagenesis, which I think is newer.

It also wouldn't surprise me if there were unofficial g1 rules based on the rifts system (or a bunch of other ones) out there, given that there was a rifts robotech system.

If you mean an rpg video game, there's the g1 cellphone game coming out soon, that looks like a cross between advance wars and an rpg.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2008
  3. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Given how well the movie did (and how popular Transformers were even before it), I'm surprised there hasn't ever (to my knowledge, at least) been an official Transformers RPG.

However, there are several fanmade versions if you look for them; mostly written as expension sets for familia rulesets.

There's Meta-Earth's expansion[/i] for the Mekton Z rules, for one - based more on the cartoon than anything, but I understand it's a pretty good add-on.
    I've also just found a
    Beast Wras-based set of rules[/i] for the White Wolf gaming system.

There are several board-based RPGs, where you can post as your character on a message board, using your posts to describe what your character does and says.
    Scroll down
    here for a list of several of them.

I'm currently also working on a set of generic table-top game rules, and one of the reasons is because I want to be able to play a TF combat/role-playing game (I will be incorporating elements of both); I'm currently coming up with stats and rules for all the '84-'85 Transformers figures, and the Micromasters too (because little 2" figures are like ready-made game pieces :D ).

4. cagliostro

cagliostro Victi Vincimus

Actually the Robotech RPG came out in '86, Rifts did not drop 'till 1990. I would just like to say I would love a proper Transformers RPG.

5. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

6. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    I was under the impression they made later rifts compendiums based on robotech in addition to the robotech rpg system, like how there were rifts books based on ninja turtles. Those robotech rifts rules may have been fan made, however.

7. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    The molds for the original Dinobots are reportedly lost.

8. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

That is a shame. I wish they would reverse engineer them and get a set back into production. My first Transformer was Grimlock and he didn't survive the attack of my annoying younger brother. Casualty of the war.

9. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

It is a shame; for me it's purely because I'd love to get hold of a reissue Swoop, as we never got him over here.

10. Shaba

Shaba Decepticon femme TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
  11. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Yeah, there's quite a few online message board-type RPGs about, including on several of the main sites, like Seibertron.
    As far as I figure it, LTH was referring to pen-and-paper type RPGs, like D&D and D20 Modern etc.

Another system I've found is pretty good for TF characters, oddly enough, is the Marvel RPG (the more recent one from 2003). There's not much you can't create with that system, and it's got a pretty free-and-easy running style, too.

12. Overhaulimus

Overhaulimus Sword of Fury!

News Credits:
    I went as far as creating my own pen and paper RPG using the DnD D20 system.

13. cagliostro

cagliostro Victi Vincimus

Irc there was a conversion book (could be wrong it might have been part of another book),intesting side note in one of the drawings in the Rifts book on Atlantis you can see the SDF-3. So in a way robotech is sort of there. Also irc Rifts is kind of suposed to be the catch all for all of the Palladium univerce.

14. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Good man! :D 
    Did you ever publish it online? 'Cause that'd be fantastic.

15. Julliant

Julliant This space for rent.

I want a TF MMO, similar to the Star Wars games, in movie-style designs. Get to choose planets to go and customize one's own bot with a built-in 3D modeller.

16. Peanut04

Peanut04 Under Construction

News Credits:
    I think a Transformers mmo could be great, if put into the right hands for development.

17. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    I tried the same thing, but eventually got bored and gave up on it.

18. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

It is a lot of work, as I've discovered from creating my tabletop game.

I think definitely the easiest way is to modify or add to a suitable existing ruleset; some just don't handle modification easily, others pretty much allow you to make what you want.
    As I've said, the 2003 Marvel game was great for creatung characters; frankly most of the abilities you'd need for a Transformer are covered in the main rulebook's pages, and anything else you'd want can be made up reasonably hassle-free.
    Unfortunately I've never played D20 Modern, though I understand that's pretty adaptable (and I'd love to hear more of Overhaulimus' take on the matter).
    The Star Wars RPG definitely isn't.