Transformers:ROTF vs. the Summer Films of 2009

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Excelsior Prime, Apr 17, 2009.

1. Excelsior Prime

Excelsior Prime Autobot Leader

I just wanted to get an idea of what folks are most looking forward to.

I'm most excited about ROTF, but not just because I'm a Transfan. Let's break it down:

Star Trek: Without getting spoilery, this movie is an "excellent jumping-on point" for new folk. I'm old folk, a Trekker since the mid-80s. So while this looks good, I'm not all that thrilled at a reboot.

Wolverine: I love Wolvie, but the more I read/see about this flick, the more nervous I get. I think it's going to disappoint. The only way a truly faithful Wolverine movie will get made is if it's A) animated and B) done as an anime on HBO or Showtime, with a hard R rating.

G.I. Joe: Ugh. So many people claimed Bay ruined Transformers...look at what's become of G.I. Joe. I have zero hopes for this flick, and will likely catch it on DVD.

Terminator Salvation: Looks good, and it's got Christian Bale. But McG? Not so sure about this one, but I have more hope for it than I do for Wolverine.

What do the rest of you cats think?

2. Optimus1986

Optimus1986 TMNT & Hulk Fanatic

I'll reserve judgement on all of them until I see them.

3. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    I'll save my money for Terminator: Salvation (looks :rock :thumbs2: :thumbs2: ), Pixar's latest movie-Up (Pixar's big hit # 10), and Public Enemies (Best movie of the year with Michael Mann, Christian Bale, and Johnny Depp)

4. Moonhawk

Moonhawk Well-Known Member

Apart from ROTF, I'm looking forward to Terminator 4 and Startrek - both have huge potential to refresh tiring franchises.

Another one to look out for IMO - Ice Age 3 - the new trailer for it is hilarious.

5. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    ROTF, Year One and Extract are about the only things that have my interest atm.

6. DieMaus

DieMaus is blawesome

News Credits:
    Just thinking off the top of my head, I would say that RotF is legitimately my most awaited film this summer; the only other two I really have marked out are Harry Potter 6, which needs to work hard because it's adapted from my least favourite HP book, and Pixar's Up, which needs to work hard because it's following on from Wall-E, my least favourite Pixar film.

Whatever the case, all's I know is that I'll be consciously seeking to see a lot fewer films this year; I feel like I went to see a whole lot of stuff in 2008, and walked out disappointed from almost everything. Maybe I'm getting old and cynical...:p 

7. Starscreamer95

Starscreamer95 'Civil' Nintendo Fanboy

News Credits:
    *Gasp* Hater to two things that were gold!!! -_-

8. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    I'm interested in TF2 for fanboy reasons, but other then that...Eh, not sure, the first one wasn't all that great in hindsight. I think Terminator Salvation will be the movie of the year for me (never thought I would say THAT), though Star Trek looks good too...

One thing's for certain: It's a great movie year.:thumbs2: 

9. Bayless

Bayless Well-Known Member

fuck the Wolverine movie man. honestly the more and more shit about this character I see, the more tired Im becoming of him.
    Terminator does absolutely nothing for me
    Star Trek looks great. never liked the show or first movies but, this looks to inject some much need action.
    ROTF will rock my face indeed.
    GIJoe could just be dumb fun.
    Im kinda lookin forward to some of these less publicized films too like Battle for Terra and Mutant Chronicles. both just look fun which personally I want in a summer film

10. bumblebot98

bumblebot98 Banned

News Credits:
    everyone knows the ROTF will completely own HP6 AND terminator salvation.........hopefully...

11. Shadow25

Shadow25 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm pretty sure ROTF will be the highest grossing film of the year. In 2007 it went up against Pirates and Spider Man threequels, which were both enormously popular series. Those are gone for now, and TF was already the highest grossing non-sequel.... I think we'll see numbers possibly comparable to The Dark Knight.

12. ashion

ashion Well-Known Member

Never been a Treky fan, so thats off my list... can't even take it seriously enough from the look of the cast in the trailer to even do a 'cheap ass tuesday' (tickets are $9 instead of $15). The look of the cast is what is really putting me off.

Wolverine... no high expectations there. If anything will get a group of friends together for a lazy tusday nighter.

Terminator: Salvation.... again no high expectations. May see it may not. T3 ruined it for me.

GI Joe... do i seriously need to say more?

TF: ROLF is about all i'm waiting for this winter (summer in America). Looking to have a uni outting to see it since so many want to go see it ( I got to a small college called Qantm which only has 120 students)

13. Ethereal

Ethereal A Sad Flareon

You have no soul if you hated Wall-E :p 

Out of the list, I really want to see 4/5 of them. ROTF, Star Trek, Wolverine, and Terminator look interesting to me, and I don't mind filling my summer with mindless movie mayhem. GI Joe, I don't want to see because a) I didn't even know it was coming out and b) Joe never really interested me in the first place.

14. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Transformers, Star Trek, Harry Pothead and "9". Those are my movies this summer.

15. Vertea

Vertea Active Member

FINALLY someone else here mentions "9"! That movie looks to be fantastic. Probably gonna be the best animated thing for a while. That and TF2 are my movie must-sees. Everything else can wait.

16. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    "9" is definitely up there for me, and Welcome to the board, Vertea.

17. zbrillante

zbrillante i love pigs

im waiting for wolvie cause i want to see some decapitation. star trek cause im a sucker for the oldies. tf rotf cause i wanna see optimus explode. gi joe cause it looks good but may have the same failing act as dragonball. terminator for more giant robots exploding. up for floating and falling. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm and many more. i cant wait to see optimus explode.

18. Poho

Poho That's MISTER Poho to you

News Credits:
    really? not Cars? to be honest, i think Wall-E was the second best movie to come out last year. it's not my favorite Disney/Pixar, but I still love it to death.

anyway, my analysis is:
    -Star Trek looks like a really awesome new take on Trek
    -I have faith in Bale for Terminator 4, but McG? i just don't know.
    -Wolverine looks cool, but I'll wait for the DVD

i can agree with that. i don't think it will make as much as DK did, but it will certiainly be up there.

19. the (H)i(GH)con

the (H)i(GH)con raver-in-diguise

I've never been a Startrek fan, and the new movie probably won't change that. Terminator looks good, but I won't see it in theaters because right around the corner from my house, there's a store that sells good quality bootlegs for $5, usually either the day before it's released or the following day. In Wolverine's defense, I saw it, and with the exception of a couple things, It wasn't that bad. They screwed up Deadpool big time though. They could not have picked a better person to play him...until he actually became Deadpool. ROTF will be the only movie I'll actually pay to see this summer, although I'm sure I'll be dissapointed. As for GI Joe, after what I've seen/heard, I'm considering declaring Jihad on the people who made it.....And I'm not even Muslim, I'm Italian. I wonder what 80's franchise they'll shit on next... Maybe the A-team.... Mr T can be played by a white guy with long hair and B.A. could be a 16y.o. girl. Sorry, I got a bit carried away there.

20. PredaconX

PredaconX Decepticon Combiner

ROTF is def my most desirable movie to see this year by far. I think star trek def has some great potential to be a great fresh reboot for the series. I havent really ever been a huge trek fan as ive always loved star wars more but this one just looks like a lot of fun. Terminator Salvation def looks amazing from the footage ive seen thus far. TF3 was absolutely horrible but this one looks to have jumped right back on the right path. G.I. Joe i havent seen enough of to really comment on yet. Granted the scenes havent been all that exciting yet but im going to wait and see what happens, who knows it might turn out to be a pretty fun film.