Minor/Repaint: transformers rotf sideswipe repaint A.K.A-tracks

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by jbarmadillo, Jul 10, 2009.

?

is it good?

1. yes

6 vote(s)
    15.8%
  2. kinda

10 vote(s)
    26.3%
  3. not really

13 vote(s)
    34.2%
  4. teribble

9 vote(s)
    23.7%
  1. jbarmadillo

jbarmadillo Well-Known Member

once upon a time i screwed up my rotf sideswipe with paint marks and decided to repaint the hole thing oh yeah by hand...
    this is my second custom tell me what you think.:2c: :2c: :popcorn 
    excuse background i had to use that color because of the lighting

Attached Files:

2. prime13

prime13 UCHUU KITAAAA

News Credits:
    its good:thumbs2:  but try spray paint next time;) 

3. Pun-3X

Pun-3X Well-Known Member

I would definitely recommend spray paint. It means a lot of masking off segments or taking a toy apart (depending) but the results are often very nice.

4. Rhinox555

Rhinox555 Insert clever joke here.

It looks pretty awful.
    But: All customizers start that way. My first bashes were fucking junk. keep practicing and learning, and you'll get better.

5. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

I voted not really. But that's just because i personally can't stand all of that blue. Maybe it's just the pics, but if it were me, i would definitely try to break it up a bit, though i'm not sure if you're going for G1 accuracy or not.

Frankly, i would start applying drybrushing and/or washing to some of the robot parts, that way you can keep the blue car sparkling clean.

Also, if you don't mind me saying, in another effort to get rid of the monotony, i would give him clear windows. Normally you wouldn't be able to do this, but it just so happens that Sideswipe's windows are cast in clear, then painted to give it that blue tint. So I'm pretty sure some other people round here can tell you how to remove the blue.

However, for a second bash, the fact you got some flames on there is a great sign. Heck, i can't say i'm that good at this, but i still am afraid to put custom flames on mine. Just keep at it! You should see the Sunstreaker i ruined with my first use of enamels...

EDIT: Now that i look at it closer (i was too lazy to click the thumbnails before lol), did you deliberately keep the gray showing, or is that just accidental? Because, if it wasn't intended, i'd say give it a second coat of paint, and cover that up. Then, just drybrush or wash it if there's just too much blue/red/whatever colour.

I'm pretty sure most of the pros round here would immediately mask off any wheels or remove them toally before painting to ensure the tires stay black, but i still think that if they have got paint on them, that it's better to paint some black over it to keep the tires black, if you can't just scrape off the excess.

Also, it's mistransformed. The lower torso has a clip that should fit into a hole under his chest. It takes a bit of force to get it to clear the joints for his arms, but he'll look better afterwards.

Sorry to be so harsh, just wanted to "help". :) 

EDIT 2: At least your second bash looks better than mine: Custom Sunstreaker - TFArchive

6. amd098

amd098 En taro Artanis!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    try masking off the areas you dont want paint to get to
    also disassembling some parts help out as well, for this guy id definatly paint his head after i take it apart
    for flames and such, id just get a repro sticker sheet, since i dont have as great painting skills as the famous repainters do
    also try to keep the colors even, it seems you got 2 different tones of blue going on

one final thing, take your time
    i screwed up my megs the first time due to rushing thru it, i then had to go again a year later and reapply the paint after removing the previous applications and now he looks much better

7. The Mad Vulcan

The Mad Vulcan Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    First, buy a smaller paint brush. I learned this the hard way trying to do detail work with a regular brush and gets paint into a neighboring region to my dismay. My wife does custom nail design, so I know that there are some amazingly small brushes out there. It is possible to individually paint the screws.

Second, spray paint. As mentioned by someone else, this gives an even spray to make it look like a factory job. How an actual car is painted.

Coat of primer
    2-3 coats of paint
    wet sand (fine grit sand paper kept wet)
    clear coat.

But just laying down a good spray paint will look good. If you put on too few layers, the original color will show through in places. Too many and you will loose detail like door jams.

Taking the figure apart or placing masking tape on regions that you don't want to paint are also good suggestions. A good painter spends significantly more time on prep than paint.

Finally; lacquer thinner. AKA paint remover. By dabbing a little on a paper towel one can remove that nasty paint in the wrong places. Furthermore, there is no reason to buy a new figure, just clean this one off and try again. One caveat is that too much lacquer thinner will dissolve the plastic just as well as the paint. You wont be able to soak the figure. It will take work to remove the paint.

It should be noted that this looks significantly better than my first. Those photos will not be posted here any time soon...

8. sentinalsupreme

sentinalsupreme Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    looks way better then my first or second custom,sunstorm and sunstorm again, i throw both in the trash and almost cried and pouted about it for a week. blue on blue is cool but it works better with 2 or 3 types of blue. i like it , and im looking forword watching you develope.

9. Maximo Prime

Maximo Prime Bassist of Ill Repute

Ebay:
    Keep at it! I agree about spraying and masking, it truly takes it to the next level. Learn as much as you can about taking it apart in a fashion that you can easily reassemble it. Get a junker bot to practice painting on. look up the tutorials here for removing pins and stuff. Like any other skill, you'll get better the more you do it!
    Good luck!

10. strata32000

strata32000 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I agree it is pretty good man.
    What I do and alot of painters here do is we mask the tires with tape.
    Just get a some what long piece of tape and rotate the tire while leting the tape
    attache to the bottom tread of the tire.
    Then mask the top part of the rim off to keep paint off of it:)