Transformers ROTF Oscar Speculation

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Rodimus Mike, Sep 6, 2008.

1. Rodimus Mike

Rodimus Mike I Drank What?

Ebay:
    Hey all, I have yet to see a topic about this,and thought I would start
    one. But do you think Revenge of the Fallen will finally win an Oscar for
    Best Visual Effects this time,since they lost out to Golden Compass for
    the first movie?. If it don't win I may never watch the Oscars again.

2. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    It might, it might not. It's WAY too early to tell, as we haven't seen any of the visual effects yet. If Watcmen doesn't get canceled because of this whole lawsuit BS, than I think that'll win at least something. There's no way I see that movie not winning anything.

3. Paladin

Paladin Have Zord, Will Travel

News Credits:
    Detroit- It's a shithole full of people who steal
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    It'll probably get nominated again and lose again.

"Best" just doesn't mean best anymore.

4. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Riding polar bears > robots.

5. Witwicky Camaro

Witwicky Camaro Sabbatical Is Required

News Credits:
    Wrong... Just wrong on all acounts. How to okay looking CGI Polar Bears beat the Highest Level of CGI Carnated Cybertronians? Evil!

6. transmetal2dinobot

transmetal2dinobot Sub-Commander

Ebay:
    claymation> riding polar bears

7. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    indeed.

Mechanical Bull + Polar Bear= Oscar gold
    [​IMG]

8. Witwicky Camaro

Witwicky Camaro Sabbatical Is Required

News Credits:
    Milla Jovovich > Riding Polar Bears.

9. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Really too early to even guess since we don't even have a list of every film out next year, much less what the finished effects will look like in each film. Heck we haven't even had a chance yet to see what ILM will do try and top their work the first time.

If you want something to be sure of then the odds are insanely high the film will not be up for any Best Director awards :D 

10. Sso02V

News Credits:
    Call it a hunch, but for some reason, I get the impression that you don't like Michael Bay.:deadhorse: 

11. vektsilver

vektsilver Transorganic member

If he does a better job then people would stop complaining.. lol

Honestly it takes some stepping back out of the Fandom and out of our exceptionally high expectations to look at this film with an objective point of view. It did nothing to warrant an oscar except in the visual effects dept and possibly audio wise .

That being said if there is more depth and maybe some real emotional heart strings tugged in this one you can start to consider it but the reality is we have a director not known for anything other than awesome explosions and a unique action shots for his films. Plus the subject matter is a real tough one to convey unless you are completely devoted to it.

This is not to say he cant do it but the track record denotes more action instead of substance and substance is what wins respect and awards.

I think on his second go round and less resistance to the look and feel hopefully he can put more effort in making this movie feel more engaging, especially emotionally as in the last film things like Jazz's death were empty scenes with no affect on the film (sadly).

EDIT
    on subject of the special effects it is hilarious that the movie didnt win it all because the transformers really never looked fake at all and for looking so real i get the feeling they lost an edge to those damn polar bears as people were taking for granted that Optimus and freinds were just real. I kid you not it looked so real that they paid no attention to the detail that went into them. Thats probably the biggest compliment to Michael Bay in the fact he directed the look of the CGI rendered characters because he could tell when something looked fake because of how much he likes to shoot cars and the way they react with the camera. Honestly brilliant. ( he gets one compliment from me a year thats all ) :) 

12. Poho

Poho That's MISTER Poho to you

News Credits:
    i'm STILL outraged that Golden Compass won the best visual effects oscar. every time i watch transformers the special effects totally amaze me. at least one of the TF movies has to win the award for best VFX. there's just no way they can't. the amount of work that went into the first one is unsurpassed.

13. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I love it when transfans show their ignorance. It makes me happy inside.

Creating visual effects with organics is about fifty billion times more difficult than with machines.

Yeah the visual works in Transformers was good. Did it deserve to win? Yeah, probably. But don't act like the Golden Compass was a bunch of sock puppets.

14. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Old

This reminds me when the first two L.O.T.R. didn't get best picture, and then R.O.T.K. received one. Oops! Here ya go.

15. transmetal2dinobot

transmetal2dinobot Sub-Commander

Ebay:
    you make a good point
    the effects in tgc were further advancements on what was in the first narnia film, and were pretty impressive, but transformers has this edge around it

in any case that movie was pure ass(script, pacing and storywise), i think that's where much of the hate comes from
    you should see the way people on the his dark materials forums go on ranting about changes to the movie away from the book, it's hilarious and almost makes a lot of the hat around here seem civilised

16. Sso02V

News Credits:
    There's nothing groundbreaking, or even interesting about making talking animals anymore.

The groundwork has been lain many, many times over, while we've seen nothing like Transformers on the big screen.

17. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Old

Tell that to Peter Jackson and Del Torro. One word...Smaug.

18. vektsilver

vektsilver Transorganic member

Honestly it doesnt really matter what complexity is the end result is the best FX and really that is what comes out to be more realistic. The golden puppet (im clever) never had anyones disbelief suspended and I think Transformers the Movie did.

Im the furthest thing from a fan of the live action movie but I will say what Michael Bay did wright and wrong. He did a very VERY good job with his camera work when it came to lighting and direction and advising the ILM crew on how the actual metals should be reacting in a scene to match the scene they were shot in.

I understand organic objects are tougher to render realistically but the level of detail and attention to lighting and details by ILM and its director are well beyond anything we have seen to this point. Its very hard to watch that movie at all and feel like what was on the screen did not exist on that screen with its surroundings. Even for Metallic objects that movie is a masterful showcasing of talent in cgi that definately surpassed the movie that one over it. The Golden compass wasnt even the best CGI of organic material I have ever seen. Besides doesnt anyone ever realize we didnt even mention the times humans were rendered in the TF movie.

EDIT: ill contest that the level of detail on the parts and individual maps to each piece on the TF's surpassed any level of detail on any of the setups for golden compass. That alone makes managing and animating the robots ten times more difficult that a typical flat surfaced object of little to no internal parts to expose. I think we all thought this movie should of been a slam dunk when we still thought the Transformers were going to look more G1 but now its a show case of hard work and attention to detail on things that may never be noticed with out slow motion frame by frame examination.

19. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The groundwork for Transformers has been laid many, many times over. T2, T3, Independence day, Godzilla, Armageddon, The Island, The Matrix Trilogy, War of the Worlds, I, Robot and many many others.

You're not looking at this objectively.

20. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I payed to see Pearl Harbor so I'll always have an ax to grind with the guy :D