2D Artwork: Transformers: Robots in Disguise, "Brothers"

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by Superquad7, May 30, 2010.

1. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    When I first got back into Transformers in 2000, one of my first main interests within Transformers was illustration. I started drawing some of my old, favorite G1 bots, but when RiD hit I really got into the toys (and even the cartoon). After I got into RiD, I wanted to create a set of videos (this is before the technology to make DVDs was commonplace) where I'd end up making a boxed set of the whole series. The Rhino sets hadn't been out too long, and I really liked how they were done. I decided that I wanted a box, along with "animation cels" as well as artwork that I could multipurpose. This is one such illustration.

Here is the original inked line art:

[​IMG]

. . . . and here is the colored artwork, using Photoshop:

[​IMG]

This is actually one of the first full pieces I've colored using Photoshop; I'd like to think my skills have improved a little since then :) 

If you're interested, the original project thread can be viewed here: http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/radicons-customs/210830-rid-set-w-extras.html#

Also, here is the gallery of the boxed set: RiD VHS boxed set - Scratch Built Customs - TFW2005.COM

Thanks for lookin' :) 

Attached Files:

2. mattarmstrong

mattarmstrong Well-Known Member

i have always loved the line art and now seeing it colored is awesome

3. dsn1014

dsn1014 41:75:74:6f:62:6f:74

Thats looking good, its cool to revisit old work to hone skills. I've been working away on GIMP lately and recoloured some of my own stuff, its been great to get practice and get the creative juices flowing again. Are you planning on doing more like this?

It looks really good, the colours are vibrant and you've nice effects going on. I'd like to see more of this.

4. Black Oracle

Black Oracle Black Convoy's Dark Angel

News Credits:
    Awesome RID art, Superquad! So toy-accurate.

5. Soundwave_FSD

Soundwave_FSD Yoda in a track suit...

That's fantastic.

6. Shadowbreaker

Shadowbreaker \/ /\

News Credits:
    That looks great! :thumb 

7. MustardwKetchup

MustardwKetchup Well-Known Member

Very cool! If you don't mind me asking, what inking pens do you use? I'm a big fan of the unfinished pen sketches.

8. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Thanks alot! I really appreciate it :) 

I've got a few more to share, as I created a few pieces for the boxed set. I haven't revisited these pieces in terms of working on them again. I simply hadn't posted them here yet. I don't have any current plans to do any more illustration work for the short term, as I have a few other things currently demanding my attention at the moment. I will be doing more illustration work though in the future, so just stay tuned :) 

Also, thank you very much for commenting on the vibrancy and the effects, as I remember working very hard to achieve those sorts of things. :) 

Thanks so much! I actually did have my toys of them in hand while I was illustrating them, and that's very typical of when I illustrate, as I want not only details to be accurate, but I don't want to "cheat" on movements and such :) 

Thanks for your comments! I usually ink with a Sharpie for the bolder lines, and pens like Pilot for details. Mainly, I enjoy working with pens that are very fluid in ink flow and have a crisp black line. I'm very much oldskool in the sense that I don't enjoy the inking with the "technical precision" that Transformers are often inked with. That's not to say that I don't enjoy others' work inked like this, but I don't like my lines to be perfectly straight and my thicknesses to be perfectly thick; I enjoy that while lines are mostly straight, there is some organic look left even in the line work (whether from pencil or ink). Often, I'll even just scan a pencil drawing, make the lines completely black, and bypass the inking process altogether. There's a certain rawness to inking by hand that I'll forever enjoy :) 

9. jgoss

jgoss transformers fan 4 life

wow sq7 that was back in 2000 and it still looks great!

10. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Thanks for the props :thumb 

11. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    Sweet stuff!

Kind of silly to add some critism to a piece that's already a couple of years old - you've probably figured it out already :p  - but the inking is slightly confusing. Both figures have equally thick borderlines, so they get a bit lost in each other..

But hey, who am I kidding. This is cool stuff, I like the details. God I hate it when people are able to do the detailed drawings, I'M NOT JEALOUS :lol 

Keep it up! :thumbs2: 

12. Venksta

Venksta Render Project Creations TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Its good to see older pieces by other artists. For that being your first coloring job in photoshop, its really good. :) 

13. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Thanks for the critique! The line weight is certainly a valid point, and I'll certainly keep that in mind for future illustrations. Sometimes, I'll illustrate a piece knowing that it'll go in PS for coloring and do things with the coloring to give things depth.

As for the details, mainly I just took my toys, posed them the way I wanted, and drew what I saw. I'll often times just throw in some random scratches and stuff here and there, though I've moved away from that a bit (see my Ricochet and Nightstick: http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/trans...rnators-targetmaster-ricochet-nightstick.html)

Again, thanks for your constructive criticism; I really appreciate the manner in which you interacted with my work here :) 

Well, I wouldn't say it was my first coloring job in PS, but it's right there with my earlier work :)  Thanks for the props, man :) 

It's a fun trip down memory lane here for me, as I just realized I hadn't posted these pieces in here :)