Transformers: Rising Storm 01 (Spoilers!)

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Bovril, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Bovril

Bovril Critical Miss!

Well, I guess I knew it would suck, but man it really sucks. Magno's art is retro-grade crap, can barely tell what's what. And to top it off, looks like we're gonna have another ridiculous buddy character in the movie - this time with a hideous pseudo-new-yoiker accent.

Oh joy.

2. shadowsfm

shadowsfm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    yeah i couldn't get half way through it. i never did like the movie comics. though i did enjoy foundation by the same writers. i liked megatron's monologue, like in ongoing 7 (i believe?)

3. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    The art is terrible as always, but I really enjoyed the writing in this. It tied into previous books, the pages were well used so it didn't feel like you could fly through it, the Arcee explanation was clever, and the story itself seems to be interesting as well. I'm very pleasantly surprised with it, especially after how terrible the last few movie comics have been. Just a shame that it's still Magnos on art duties, because the quality of writing here deserves MUCH better art.

4. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

sadly i've given up on movie comics. i'm sticking to summaries and these forums from now on unless you guys convince me otherwise =P

5. shadowsfm

shadowsfm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    you wish you can rent them like you can rent games for a fraction of the price?

6. rattimus prime

rattimus prime Scout Class Prime

The art....scratch that it doesn't deserve to be called that...the characters and scenery are sooooo bad, i honestly couldn't make heads or tails of some of them, and they blended into the scenery. Ironic considering i defended Don Figuroas Ongoing style yet i decry this guys work, might have to be that Dons work is actually good

7. Black Oracle

Black Oracle Black Convoy's Dark Angel

News Credits:
    I'm still waiting for my copy of this. I'm not a fan of Magno's art either, but I'm hoping the writing makes up for it.

8. Fonecrusher

Fonecrusher Megatron wants YOU

You should try Reign of Starscream if you haven't already, IMO the best of the movie bunch.

But yeah Rising Storm #1 blows, much prefer Foundation #1 better art, better characters, better story and better dialogue!

9. DecepticonSpike

DecepticonSpike Kimber/Stormer Fanboy

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I just read it. Everyone else has already stated how I feel about the art. The only characters I could recognize were BB, OP, Shockwave, and Starscream. As far as the story I didn't get a lot of the references since I usually don't read the movieverse comics, other than Reign of Starscream, Sector 7, the Titian "Twilight's Last Gleaming". but I thought that Shockwave's appearance was pretty good, reminding me of the very end of Marvel TF #4. The rest of it, I might pass on. I'm pretty sure I'll understand the movie without reading this.
    BTW, Didn't Arcee die in ROTF?

10. Black Oracle

Black Oracle Black Convoy's Dark Angel

News Credits:
    Finally got my copy of this and Foundation #1 today. As I expected, Magno's art is not the easiest to digest, but I did find the writing of some interest and the dialogue seemed good. Had a bit of a chuckle at Galloway's change of attitude here.

The use of the Arcee sisters has me wondering whether they may be back in some form for DotM? Elita-1 seems to feature quite prominently in both these first movie prequel issues. Or perhaps Barber is just trying to provide some kind of satisfactory resolution for the fate of the sisters?

11. eagc7

eagc7 TF Movies Fan/Supporter

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    well Bob orci say they died, but i guess IDW wanted them back, and kill them in another way just in case they are not in DOTM

12. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

yeah i read through reign of starscream. great book. also defiance was pretty awesome too. since rotf came out tho i haven't been into the movie books. sector 7 wasn't too bad, but i sadly didn't finish the last issue.

13. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I quickly gave up on the scrawl (can't call that mess art) and just followed the story best I could by dialogue. I would blame the itty-bitty nature of the BayFormers designs but I've seen comic artwork of BayFormers that are a magnitude of better than this. Most of the TF don't even looked remotely like their toy designs, even the faces. If it wasn't for the dialogue I'd have had no idea who was supposed to be who.
    I really pity the poor fucker that has to make sense of that jumble to colour it. They should be paid double for the extra work that must take and the brain blood clot it must be causing them.