Transformers: Resparked (a fanedit)

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by reave, Apr 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reave

reave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have made a fanedit of Transformers, and it is available now. This first "soft cut" (Resparked V1.1) is basically a moderate trimming of the more annoying parts of the movie. If you enjoyed the movie overall, but could do without some of the human goofiness, frenzy silliness, and overall cheese, this cut should suit you. If however you absolutely hated everything about the movie, you will probably not enjoy this much more.

There will be two more cuts. The "hard cut" which will remove even more of the human involvement in the movie. This cut will probably appeal to less people as it will lose most of the humor. I am currently working on this version (Resparked 2.0). Finally, I am in the planning stages for the "G1 cut". This will be an experimental cut where I will use audio from the G1 Transformers series and original movie. It will probably be even shorter, and I may even turn it into 3 or 4 "episodes" to make it more like a G1 cartoon than a G1 movie.

Now don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the movie as it was, minus a few horrible decisions (bumble-piss/masturbation discussions), I just wanted to experiment with it to see if it could be brought closer to what most fans would expect to see in a Transformers movie. If you are interested in this fanedit, and you own a copy of the original movie (to protect your license), you can find more information by googling "fanedit", and going to the first site listed.

I spent a very long time cutting this, to assure that the final product was a nice looking, natural feeling cut of the movie. TFW2005 is specifically thanked in the credits, as this community helped revive my interest in Transformers, and I'm greatly appreciative of all the information that I've gathered here. Reading the fans gripes about the movie helped shape the direction that I went with the edit. I hope you enjoy it!

Here is some information about the edit:

original film name: Transformers
    new film name : Transformers: Resparked (1.1)
    film studio name : Pararmount/Dreamworks
    edit crew name : Reave
    Date Original Film Was Released : July 3rd, 2007
    Date Edit Was Released : March 9th, 2008
    Original Runtime : 133 Minutes
    New Runtime : 122 Minutes
    Amount of time Cut/Added : 11 minutes

----------------------------------------
    Cuts removed/added/extended :
    (MILD SPOILERS)

Trimmed end of soldiers talking. no more “what’s your favorite day" or whatever.

Cut Lennox talking to his wife and kid (fart joke).

Cut first time Epps looks at Blackout with binoculars, it’s a little ludicrous to think that he would sit there so long and look at him twice.

Cut out spitwad scene. Tightened up classroom scene.

Cut out second naval tool innuendo “joke/laughing/”stop sign”.

Cut “the compass makes a great gift for columbus day”.

Cut “the man in the green car”.

Cut Sam from “alright Mojo, i’ve got the car, now I need the girl” all the way to parents introduction. No more mirror/zit scene, ebay scene, mojo crack addict scene, etc.

Cut Mikaela’s boyfriend saying “allright guys, I know of a party, let’s head”

Cut Mikaela’s boyfriend saying “this is not a toy, these 22’s, i don’t want you grinding them”

Cut Mikaela’s boyfriend saying “you’ll call me.”

Cut large part of Mikaela and Sam talking in the car (big arms, etc.)

Cut Sam saying “I like to go fast” (creepy!).

Cut the President saying “yeah, could you wrangle me up some ding-dongs?”. Bush is dumb jokes are so 2004, and it's just corny humor.

Cut some of Frenzy’s goofiness in elevator.

Cut “join the air force, bring the president ding dongs”….etc.

Cut Frenzy saying “uh-oh.”

Cut “should I be? Yes you should! etc….” These people are supposed to be “the top of their class”.

Cut some more Frenzy “wackiness, and Frenzy saying “Witwicky!”

Cut frenzy’s slapstick walk through tons of govt. agents.

Cut lots of Frenzy “wackiness” inside Barricade. Shortened Barricade sitting next to air force one…..waiting…..for….?

Cut Maggie saying “there is nothing on earth that complex (obvious).

Cut Maggie saying “what about an organism?…………..dna based computer, and I-I-I-I-I know that sounds crazy…”

Cut Sams dad saying “you know, little chihuaha”.

Cut some of the indian phone guy (trimmed pause at start, cut “i’m going to ask you to speak….). True story, but a little bit stretched out.

Cut “you got 10 back pockets! left check, left check left cheek!”

Cut second phone guy/”no i don’t want a premium package!”

Cut Epps saying “bring the rain” , shifted audio to cut mouth movement. I’ve talked to several people I know from the military, and they all told me the would never talk like that on the radio.

Trimmed (panasonic) memory card commercial. Made Maggie stealing the card a little less freaking obvious.

Cut Maggie saying “there’s only one hacker in the world who can decode this signal”. rearranged video to cut this scene.

Cut dance-dance revolution scene. More useless filler.

Cut Glen saying “let me work my magic.”

Cut Glen’s grandma saying “are you playin them video games again, making moment of door being kicked in more dramatic.

Cut news report in Sam’s room. too much info for the network news to have on the base attack.

Cut Sam calling Miles and telling him that “satan’s camaro is stalking him”. Ha-ha.

Cut out a few frames of Sam flipping his bike over. The editing was poor, and if you looked at it, they were repeating footage, making it seem like he was in the air too long.

Cut several seconds of Sam making small talk with Mikaela after falling off bike (while being chased by his car… that was driving itself…and had turned into a robot the previous night).

Cut several seconds of Sam’s hesitation to get the f#*k away from a car that just turned into a giant f@%king evil robot….

Trimmed “this must be a bad dream” along with a few frames of transition from Sam on roof of car to Barricade slamming his fist down.

Trimmed a few frames of Barricade’s two swings at Sam (he’s a lightning fast ninja when fighting Bumblebee, but a lumbering hulk when trying to swat a human?). I also trimmed it to again make Sam look as if he is trying to get away from a GIANT F#@KING ROBOT!

Cut “the car won’t start. at least we ditched the monster, right?” keeps the tension in the car higher.

Trimmed Bumblebee’s “engine trouble”. He starts himself up and punches it at the right moment. Sam is surprised.

Trimmed Mikaela lingering and staring at the sawzall (there is a freaked out robot attacking her boyfriend after all).

Cut out Frenzy’s Looney Tunes running in place/some silly noises during fight with Sam.

Cut Sam saying “not so tough without a head, are you?”, trimmed transition.

Left Wilhelm scream!

Cut frenzy shaking his head and saying ‘ooooh” to Mikaela’s purse.

Cut “it’s probablyJapanese, yeah, definitely Japanese”

Trimmed Sam and Mikaela drooling over Bumblebee’s interior/Bumblebee taking his time sitting in traffic inside a tunnel (while in “disguise”).

Cut “excuse me? are you the tooth fairy (barf)?

Cut “what’s crackin little bitches?”

Cut the second (Sam’s) Ebay plug.

Slightly trimmed “Scorponoks tail” scene, making it a little more of a suprise.

Cut “the donut scene”.

Cut kid cutting in on female reporter.

Cut the Masturbation scene.

Cut Sam and his parents being dragged outside (you touch my dog….don’t talk to anyone until we have a lawyer…etc.).

Cut Sam saying “what you mean like ET? pfffft” I know it’s a reference to Spielberg, and it’s real cute, but Shia’s acting at that point is a little iffy.

Cut “criminals are hot!”

Trimmed Optimus slamming into Sector7 SUV for effect (to make it more of a suprise/shock).

Cut Bumblebee pissing scene. I know that the agents are wet in the scene after that, but I’m going to chalk that up to sweat. If anyone can teach me how to clean that up digitally?), I’d be glad to, but for now, I just had to get rid of that ridiculous scene.

Cut “where’s Sector 7? Wouldn’t you like to know?”

Cut Frenzy’s landing/more goofy noises from his fall off dam ledge.

Cut Simmons saying “they know the way of the samurai.”

Cut Maggie saying”that thing is freaky! he’s like the little bitty Energizer bunny from hell, eh?

Trimmed end of phone-bots rampage and Simmons saying “aww, he’s breakin the box….”

Cut Frenzy saying “beeta, beeta, beeta!!”

Cut “ok, you want to leave the fate of the world on a kid’s Camaro?”

Cut Sam asking Bumblebee, “they didn’t hurt you, right?” (Awww, poor wittle robot).

Merged footage of bumblebee looking around and then slamming face shield down. (it was a pain in the arse to line up video/sound spent 4 hours alone on that one 10 second scene. Eat your heart out ILM!). Cut out Sam talking in between shots.

Cut Frenzy saying “duh/uh” when he tries breaking into the room with the crew. Trimmed scene slightly.

Trimmed 4 frames of Secretary of Defense Keller breaking glass to make the timing more realistic.

Cut Simmons “get out of the way…” trying to blowtorch frenzy…..frenzy shooting discs into room, Goodburger screaming about it, Keller sending message, Air Force responding.

Cut smiley, dipsh*t kid saying” COOOL MOM!” I worked on this longer than any other shot, and should have given up quite frankly, but god I hated it. I’m pretty proud that I got it to work.

Cut FRENZY “OH SH*T!” (I know it’s a G1 reference, but it’s dumb here.)

Cut Epps saying “that ain’t friendly”.
    Cut “I’ll drive, you shoot!”. It’s a weird little mix-up of cuts, that pretty well works, but being my most hated line in the whole movie, it just had to be removed. I had to steal sound effects from a different battle to get this one to work. I’m pretty happy with it, considering I got to remove one of the worst lines from the movie.

Cut Lennox saying “uh this isn’t going well.”

Cut Mikaela saying “SHOOT! SHOOT!”

Cut the “advertisement-bots”. I kind of like Mountain Dew bot, but it was impossible to cut the scene up (without rebuilding the audio track from scratch, f*#k that.) to remove the other bots. I’m happy with it, and it keeps things rolling. Besides, there was some awful acting in the whole scene.

Trimmed a couple of seconds in the Allspark hand-off to try and trim the hang time, and increase the urgency. It seemed as if Sam was taking his time to get rid of this thing that giant f#@king robots were chasing him for.

Left in michael bay getting flicked into a car by megatron.

Cut “bring the rain” #2

Cried about not being able to cut Link Park song from the end (yet, damn it!).

-----------------------------------------

I know some of these cuts will not make people happy, but I really made this for myself. If it's not what you were looking for, read the fanedit site how-to sections and make your own cut. It's really a pretty fun little hobby!

Oh, and if Mike Bay/Spielberg/Paramount/Dreamworks are reading this, I loved your movie, I just wanted to experiment with it! I do not endorse piracy in any way, and I expect everyone who watches this to own the original DVD/HDVDD (or Blu-Ray soon, hopefully!).

2. reave

reave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not a popular idea here, I take it.

3. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    Congrats on all you hard work, but I don't think this thread will last.

4. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

So does this movie exist or is the list of "edits" the hard work?

People would watch it and judge, Just like Conseptron's script, but if you don't have a product, you are not going to get any response as the silent majority liked the TF movie.

I would love to see it if you do it. I thought the Phantom menace 1.1 was pretty good when they edited out jar Jar.

5. reave

reave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thank you, though I'm not looking for congratulations, or trying to hang on to a thread (no pun intended). I just thought some of the people on this board might enjoy an alternate cut of Transformers. It's kind of my version of fan fiction ;) 

It does in fact exist, and is available at "a bay of pirates", a "small nova" (search for "resparked" at either) or alternately by looking around at the first website that google returns for the word "fanedit". I spent a lot of time making sure that it didn't turn out looking cheap or amateurish, so as not to waste the time of anyone interested in a project of this nature.

I am one of the silent majority :)  ! I loved the movie overall, I just felt like making a tweaked version, with some of the more annoying aspects cut out. Thanks to Bay's style of quick cuts, I would say 99% of the cuts I made are invisible, and the rest are hard to spot.

You should check out the Phantom Menace 1.2! Much better picture, and a great audio commentary from the editor.

6. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Action Master Super Mod

News Credits:
    oooh...i wanna check this out...i remember the old thread...glad to see its finished...now i just gotta find it and get it DL'd

7. jazz4ever

jazz4ever I'm turned on by numbers

uumm...i dont really get it but okay :thumbs2: 

8. Superion33

Superion33 Banned

I didn't like the plot of the movie. Is there anyway to cut that out and put in a better plot? One that makes sense.

9. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

not to be rude, but with all those changes, i don't see how this movie could possibly make sense lol.

you also removed some scenes i really liked too :( 

10. reave

reave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Oh, you're not being rude, I expect most everyone to disagree with some of the editing decisions that I made, as everyone wants something slightly different from a movie, or anything for that matter. I made this for myself, and if some people enjoy it, all the better. I expect criticisms, both constructive and not constructive about this edit, and neither will hurt my feelings.

I've had several friends watch this edit, and I've heard from several people on the fandedit website, and they all told me it makes plenty of sense. I understand how it looks like I cut a ton of stuff out, but most of the cuts are tiny little trims.

Not all the scenes that I removed are scenes that I didn't enjoy to a certain extent. I just wanted to move the film along, and get to the robots kicking robots in the ass part!

I think that you may be thinking of another persons edit from another thread. This is the first that I have posted about this edit on TFW2005.

11. AngusDF

AngusDF Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Can you post links to download websites, please?

12. Caine

Caine Rise up to the glory!!

News Credits:
    Why don't you just simply stating "BOYCOTT" the movie?

13. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I like most of the cuts you made, though there were a couple I wish you had left. The eBay stuff should've been left in considering it was pivotal to the Decepticons tracking down Sam. They did find him through eBay. I also liked the "It's Japanese" scene. I also like the Linkin Park song.

14. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    That is not allowed here.

15. unicronhq

unicronhq Banned

News Credits:
    what about sending the site to people via PM then??
    I would like to check it out myself.

16. reave

reave Well-Known Member

News Credits:

There is enough Ebay stuff to show how the Decepticons tracked him down, the linkin park song is still there, as I couldn't get it separated, and you won't even notice the "Japanese" bit is missing ;) 

I will not post links to this.

If you google "fanedit resparked", and you end up at a site with fanedit in its name, you should be just fine. Just keep in mind that to own a copy of this, you must own a legit copy as well.

17. Poho

Poho That's MISTER Poho to you

News Credits:
    i'd like to see this.

18. Radioactive Ravage

Radioactive Ravage Ancient

I dunno. It seems like you cut out almost all of the humorous scenes. It seems like the movie would be an apocalyptic alien-invasion movie rather than the childishly fun picture it turned out to be.

19. rdarkstream

rdarkstream Minicon lover

Ebay:
    meh there was very little that needed to be cut.

The bumblebee peeing was great.

20. reave

reave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I really didn't cut out all of the humor. It is more serious in tone, but the movie hasn't lost its soul in the process. This cut is definitely not for everyone, but you might give it a chance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.