Transformers reissue prices vs GI JOE

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Noisemaze2006, Apr 3, 2008.

1. Noisemaze2006

Noisemaze2006 Banned

Okay, explain this one. Hasbro can reissue the GI Joe Toys for a decent price,almost the same as the original price 25 years ago, but every time Hasbro or Takara reissues a Transformer the price is friggin outrageous.

WHY???:confused: 

Going by Transformer reissue prices, I'd guess this HISS tank should be around $64.99 or higher.

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=HAS15226&mode=retail

Why do we have to pay $100 or more for Encore Omega Supreme when the Joe fans get to pay almost the same prices as they did 25 years ago?

:wtf: ​

2. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Eh, you have the diecast which drives up the prices on Transformers reissues and than you have the engineering aspect. Also, keep in mind that you're also paying the import stores shipping fees plus their profit margine for the Takara reissues. For the Takara reissues I would hazzard a guess that they cost 25% less at retail in Japan than whatever BBTS is charging.

I mean, if you order through Fan to Fan they can usually get them for you cheaper by about 20% to 25%, but in the end you're still going to have to pay shipping from Japan.

As for Hasbro's reissues... well, they have the distinct problem of being TRU Exclusive and TRU jacked the prices up really nice. Of course, they were TRU Exclusive because no one else wanted to carry them so...

Also, when it comes to the GI Joe 25th line... most of the stuff isn't reissues, but new molds (at least all the ones I had were new molds)... so you're not really buying a reissue of a vintage item, but a new mold based off of a vintage item. I guess it kind of helps to think of the GI Joe 25th line as something more akin to Classics than Reissues.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2008
  3. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wasn't the last TF reissue in the U.S., G1 Soundwave, something like $25?

Last edited: Apr 3, 2008
  4. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't remember, but that would be pretty cheap when you consider that alot of the ones after the first wave were rather unreasonably priced all things considered... but than there's the issue of diecast too...

5. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm pretty sure Soundwave was $30.

6. ranoobu

ranoobu I like fried chicken

News Credits:
    Yea.. it's definitely a new line.. i'd consider the 25th joes like the tf movie/classics line..

They'd only be re-issues if there were minor improvements.. but these are just plain different molds...

As for the vehicles, I read a post here or there saying things are removed or replaced with plastic.. possibly why it's a bit cheaper.

7. Noisemaze2006

Noisemaze2006 Banned

The Joe fans get to buy a minty mint *official* Hasbro release 25 years later for almost the same price they originally paid in the 80's. I'd love to buy a brand new mint condition G1 for close to original retail. Hell, we can't even get those damn Asian KO's anywhere near original retail. $49.99 for a KO Mirage & he was originally only $9.99. $80+ for each Dinobot & they're fricken KO's! How much are they charging for the Metrotitan KO? $89.99 + $300.00 shipping? $80 - $100 for Omega Supreme & he was originally only around $34.99. Same with Sky Lynx. (Sky Lynx & Omega don't have any die-cast). HLJ (which is usually the lowest) has Encore Starscream for $30.00, even that's $20 higher than the original price. So what's with the insane mark-ups on TF's? There's like no way you can get a mint condition original G1 anywhere near original retail, not even a KO. But the Joe fans only have a $5-$10 markup.

It's even hard to get an empty G1 box anywhere near original retail. One guy on Ebay was selling a Wheeljack KO box for $29.99+$10 shipping. It's totally whacked out! Looks to me like the Joe fans got it made.

8. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Didn't single card joes cost like 3 or 4 bucks back in the day?

9. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I wonder if that would be the case now, with the success of the movie, if Hasbro were to try it again?

10. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    :lol 

11. T16skyhopp

T16skyhopp Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    soundwave was like 35ish.

this did bug m yesterday, since you cna walk into target and get a hiss tank and a 2th anniv driver for 9.99. figure you pay the 6 bucks for just the driver on the card.

but i do get it. most of our reissues are imports. also, hasbro is using old joe vehicles cause its cheaper then making new ones (same alot with star wars). updates would be nice but are not necessary. the old vehicles still do a good job. transformers is probably one of the more expensive brads for them to produce, cause they're constantly making new molds that aside from a repaint, are harder to reuse.

and yeah TRU does have higher prices, but you can blame that on target and walmart.

i dunno, its early, im bored. want to go get a hiss tank.

12. jacranky

jacranky Well-Known Member

Single carded joes back in the day were about $1.69....or not much more than that...definitely not as high as $2.99. TF's were anywhere from $5 for the small ones and $35 for the Metroplex-sized bots.

Re-issue joes these days are $6-$10. That's a pretty big hike compared to $1.69.

And yes, I agree that the engineering and import aspects will drive up the TF prices these days.

13. T16skyhopp

T16skyhopp Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    also that bbts price is 19.99. the price for the target excl is 9.99 for the tank and driver. at least that what i read, it could have been wrong.

14. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Because Transformers pwn Joe. I knew that in 1985 and it's just as true today. :lol 

15. Codimus Prime

Codimus Prime Missouri Toy Hunter

I think even with the movie Hasbro is not going to pick up reissues again. At least not hardcore or will they set a number of releases per year.

It's easier to keep repainting figures for the 07 Movie line. Plus with TF2 on the horizon and Animated getting ready to hit shelves, why would they?

Thats why I think that Takara Tomy is doing the Encore reissues... so Hasbro won't have to mess with it. But, American fans who want the items can get them this way.

16. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Is it out yet? I was gonna pre-order from BBTS but if it's only $10 and Target WOW! No way am I paying double for it!!

17. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    From what I hear, they're out.

18. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Umm.. I never paid LESS the 2.99 for a Joe "back in the day". They were on sale from 2.99 to 5.99 depending on the place. But anyways, it's all pointless to complain about the 25th Joe line being cheaper by comparison because it's completely new molds and new engineering. It's comparable only to TF classics, which by the size cost about the same as that size bot 20+ years ago, if not less.

19. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Comic Ink - Dublin, CA

News Credits:
    I'd bet that a BIG part of it is also licensing. Those early designs aren't Hasbro's intellectual property, they were licensed from Takara who gets a cut from every piece sold. With GI Joe that is all internal with Hasbro so there is one less big company to be paid. Maybe if Hasbro bought Takara/Tomy the prices would go down a bit :)