Transformers: Regeneration One #84 Preview

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by ken8kuhletz08, Oct 9, 2012.

1. ken8kuhletz08

ken8kuhletz08 JKC

News Credits:
    • News Credit News Credit x 1
  2. Gridlock1987

Gridlock1987 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  3. Bass X0

Bass X0 King of Muay Thai

News Credits:
    This story isn't what I wanted at all from the book. RiD and MTMTE are really showing it up. The premise is cliched and we've already seen it been done before in Transformers, the characterisation and writing is flat, too long is spent on the same scene without moving forwards and the artwork is poor.

About the artwork, I know Wildman was going for a retro look but to me, this just doesn't look as good as his issues in the actual Marvel comic. Back then, Wildman was trying to draw great artwork, now he's intentionally holding himself back and it shows. The same for Furman too. Back then he was writing groundbreaking stories for the time, now those same stories are no longer groundbreaking but he's still writing the same stories. For now, this is a pretty standard story. I like to think Furman is still slowly setting the scene up to blow it apart later but I have a feeling this is how its going to continue.

I'm not dropping it because I want to see where they go with the story. I'm quite invested in the Marvel universe and G1 characters but if I wasn't, I'd be dropping it too.

4. Optimus8404

Optimus8404 Autobot Commander.

Ebay:
    I agree with you. This is what? The fourth issue and they're STILL wandering around Earth? And way to kill off your story by lobotimizing the Decepticons. Thats lazy writing to me, that way he just focuses on building up Megatron's character. And making Optimus look like a depressed war torn soul is the final straw. The good guys have no positive attitude AT ALL. It's like watching Intervention!

5. Uncle Madness

Uncle Madness Well-Known Member

I tried giving this book a chance but "Mad Max Megatron" doesn't cut it for me.

And like other's have stressed, making the other Con's as lobotomized drones was probably the worst decision ever in TF comic history.

I'll just stick with the two Ongoing's from here on.

So disappointing.....

6. hellrasinbrasin

hellrasinbrasin Well-Known Member

All I hear is complaining .... 1st you wanted IDW to resume the original MARVEL Series. Now that they have you're bitching because you got what you wanted. Since you folks hate Regeneration One so much don't join the discussions whatsoever again.

7. Bass X0

News Credits:
    Marvel was good. This isn't as good. And its bad compared to MTMTE and RiD.

Just because we wanted a continuation doesn't mean we have to accept a half-assed continuation.

8. Reflector Prime

Reflector Prime Well-Known Member

You guys act like this was ever a good idea to begin with. No one wants a 20 year old comic, even if they think they do.

9. Oracle_Aesir

Oracle_Aesir Outback is back

News Credits:
    We wanted a continuation from the original story to finally finish it off, this seems like a totally different, very slow-going storyline rather than the fast paced weekly, mostly standalone stories we had back in the old days (and what we have with MTMTE and RID now as well)

10. Urizen123

Urizen123 I toast, therefore I am.

"Bitching because we got what we wanted" ? Pardon?

People are complaining because they didn't get what they wanted - which was, y'know, a comic that isn't spectacularly awful.

Everyone appreciates the fact that Hasbro/IDW went out on such a limb for the fans by continuing the Marvel US story. Such niche fan-service is a damn ballsy move for any company to make. With so many expectations riding on this project, one would assume the creative team would pull out all the stops to give something back to the fans who have yearned after a continuation of that story for the past two decades.

Against the odds, to see this all actually come to fruition - and then to be met with such a flat and uninspired execution is incredibly disappointing.

Bingo.

If everyone had taken off their rose-tinted glasses for a moment and actually looked at the concept rationally, there's no way anyone could have thought this was anything other than an extremely bad idea.

11. JoeHavok

JoeHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    There are always going to be haters regardless. I for one am happy to have a subscription to Regeneration 1. And to the haters, did you actually buy the original comic in its initial run? I'm guessing you did not. The story is taking a different route then the other comics, and that is not a bad thing. Give it a chance.

12. JoeHavok

JoeHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Um, speak for yourself. And, I'm pretty sure the IDW continuation if GI Joe A Real American Hero comic is doing pretty well. So I think a lot of people do.

13. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

I haven't been following this title, for many of the reasons already given, and because I was never all that wrapped up in the late Marvel stuff. After his run on IDW, I found Furman to be a bit on the stale side... he was the only writer willing to put a serious face on Transformers in the 80's, but now his stuff feels a bit flat.

However, this preview was kind of fun. Nice to see Roadbuster in a leadership role, doing what he was always supposed to be doing. Characterizations are not bad (not sparkling, but not bad). Some funny touches like poor Ratchet's head mounted on Megatron's chariot (which makes sense for those of us who remember the Marvel stuff).

Kind of a fun retro vibe, but admittedly not something I would drop money on every month when RID/MTMTE are sooooooo good.

zmog

14. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Regeneration One is about the only interesting IDW book out to me & even that one seems to be dragging out. I've lost all interest in MTMTE & RID. Boring story, pointless redesigns. For some reason, I cannot stand stories set in space or other planets. Maybe when they finally are back on Earth in more familair bodies, I'll check the series out again.

Have writers lost all ability to write quick one issue stories? Go back in the 80s/90s -any comic, not just TFs. There coud be stories that seem pretty big & fit into one issue. Now every damn story has to take at least 4 issues to tell.

15. Bass X0

News Credits:
    Yes, I was a fan back in the 80s until the end.

But this comic isn't as good as those comics nor is it anywhere near as good as the current comics.

Back then, near enough each issue was a self contained story meaning that no space could be wasted just doing nothing like they are now. We had stories like Matrix Quest which focused on a different small group of characters each issue, and Thunderwing's Decepticons. Here, the Wreckers were attacked by Megatron in space in #81 and are still wandering around in #84. Enough of that. Move on. Its not exciting. And Megatron is pretty much talking to himself since the Decepticons have been lobotomised. Meaning no personality from them. And being used to Megatron as a complex three dimensional villain in the past few years of the comics and cartoons, its very disjarring to see him back as a crazy two dimensional character whose plans don't expand beyond "Destroy! Kill! Enslave!"

Maybe you should go back and read those old comics yourself, instead of just remembering when you read them years ago. And read the current MTMTE and RiD too.

16. PrimeOQZ

PrimeOQZ Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As far as the preview goes, looking forward to the battle with the ark and megatron. It's funny how twice now they refered to it as auntie yet that was only a uk comics name.

Since there are only 20 issues, I would think that the stories would have moved along a lot faster to get to everything. Furman said that he submitted 9 hanging plot lines from the older series to hasbro but did not say if all of those were going to be addressed.

We have cybertron, earth and nebulos happeing right now but looks like only one is going to be resolved. I have a bad feeling that it looks like we might be headed towards everything being rushed.

I am enjoying what we have just wish it was faster. MTME and RID could be an example for the entire comics medium right now, not just regeneration one. Simon is just status quo with the industry but since we have the other two titles, we are spoiled now. :D 

17. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    They aren't "wandering," they are going on the offensive.

Whatever, I don't need to have some pointless argument, but the fact that I've dropped buying RiD monthly and am keeping this book should tell you all you need to know what I think about this thread. I want to see where this book is going and I like the contrast in style between this and "mainline" IDW.

18. BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Sheesh, Bass... It's Furman. He is never the one to hurry up stories, unless the publisher hurries it up, and was that ever good? (See the last issues - crammed into spotlights - he did for IDW).

I am loving Re-G1 so far. And yes, I admit I am looking forward towards MTMTE each month the most. But Re-G1 is also awesome, for totally different reasons. I can totally read it as something that came out in the nineties - maybe because I am fond of reading such old comics these days - and it brings up questions, characters and situations I myself made fanfics about when I was in university. Surprisingly, at some points, Furman's ideas actually mirror my own I fancied and scribbled on paper back then. Which just makes it even more fun to read.

As for this issue - OOOOH, those are Demons on the cover! One subject I hoped Furman would get back to. Namely, that Primus isn't all hunky-dory, and his first creations - and the way he imprisoned them - well, sometimes even gods of Light use drastic ways to do "good".

The second is what happened to Starscream, which is literally his worst nightmare come to life. "KLLRTCH!" indeed! :D  (Btw, for those who don't see what that means -
    "Kill Ratchet!"
    - he's trying to tell Kup how to kill Megs.

And man, I think this is the first time we see all three helicopter-Wreckers flying together. In Marvel, Whirl disappeared too soon, and in TWW Sandstorm was apparently not a triple-changer. Also like Whirl's one-liners. :)  Not that I don't like the psychotic version of him in MTMTE - but y'know, variety.

19. RustyBarnacles

RustyBarnacles TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Nice catch! Didn't pick that up.

Agreed on this being one of the best IDW contributions. The story, albeit slow in it's progression is much darker. And it's going slowly for a reason. There has to be a set up. It may be picking up where Marvel left off, but it's picking up on earth and the aftermath which is a new setting/description. There's a plot that's got to be woven.

I wish this wasn't just going to be 20 issues, but I do know that Furman is going to build to a huge climactic end.

To put it simply, if you hate the comic, don't read it.

20. Bass X0

News Credits:
    But I don't hate the comic. I just wish it wasn't so slow given its limited number of issues to fit everything in, and I wish the characters were more interesting and varied.

They were during Furman's run of the original Marvel U.S. comic. Thats what I expected this comic to be like. But its not.

Plus, how do I know if I don't like it if I don't read it?