Transformers Re-Generation One #83 Discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Kickback, Sep 5, 2012.

1. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Can't believe this isn't up yet!

2. Thundershot

Thundershot The guy with 28 Sweeps

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I was just about to start a thread and you beat me to it.

Anyone poking into this thread should be expecting SPOILERS.. I'm not using the tags for a thread dedicated to discussing the issue.

Good issue... I just wish it wasn't so damned depressing. Hopefully it's just the opening arc and not the whole series. Fort Max bites it, but maybe he's still living inside of Spike. After all, Optimus' essense resided in Hi-Q... Fort Max and Ratchet were my absolute favorite Marvel characters, and both are dead or practically dead. I still have a feeling Ratchet will sacrifice himself again to defeat Megatron. We shall see...

Nothing new with Grimlock but now we get to see Bludgeon's move...

So why is Bludgeon so keen on bringing Thunderwing back?

3. DrGrim

DrGrim OBEY

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So, Optimus Prime's way of mentoring Hot Rod is to sit in an empty room on some metal boxes and talk? Interesting. Who thinks that by the final issue Optimus Prime will be offed a third time and Rodimus Prime will be left to lead Cybertron?
    It's a bummer Fortress Maximus is gone before the series even started. Hopefully that Nebulos story with Grimlock can give him back to us.
    So far, I'm not feeling Regeneration One as much as I hoped I would, with how much I loved the Marvel run and everything. More Than Meets The Eye remains my favorite book currently. Still, we're at the beginning of the run so we'll see how it goes.

4. Kickback

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Minor plothole...

Spike mentions that the Ark housed all the victims of the Underbase, including the Decepticons, which is how Megatron was able to bring back all of these dead soldiers. But at the end of the Underbase saga, Powermaster Optimus Prime and Scorponok talk about gathering the rest of their dead. When Optimus Prime leaves for Earth to surrendor to Scorponok before the battle with Unicron, we're only told that Megatron is in the CR chamber, because of the operation Fixit did to separate Ratchet and Megatron after their fusion.

When Megatron and Galvatron go after Shockwave in the Ark while Ratchet and Starscream fight, Megatron is nothing more than a blubbering, mindless drone with no cognitive thinking because Ratchet maintains it all ... but Spike metions that Megatron awoke more fierce than ever and conquered the Earth using Ark technology.

So my question is ... why were deactivated Decepticons aboard the Ark? It should have just been Autobots from the Underbase saga. Megatron tried to teleport a bomb on to the Ark to blow it up with Blackjack, but he physically never set foot until the portal re-opened and him and Ratchet were fused.

And then of course, why is Megatron suddenly beeming with more intelligence than we've ever seen him with throughout the course of the entire Marvel series? He's always been a tyrant, never a methodical thinker ... that was always Shockwave.

I'm fearful that this series is going to "regenerate" to the BAD days of Simon Furman, where he creates plotholes and story devices soley to tell a story he wants with no actual thought put in to the storylines that preceeded his run in this story.

5. JRX

JRX Well-Known Member

Is there no reference to them being stored in the ark from any of the issues? I don't have them nearby. I know after issue 19, a bunch were after the battle with omega. I wonder if he took the idea from that.

6. emptythreat

emptythreat Well-Known Member

Skorponok's ship was destroyed so it would make sense that they were put on the ark. And if not they may have been left deactivated on Earth that Megs was then able to get access to.

Spike also says that most of this kicked off in 1995 so 4 years after we last saw Megs he had been busy, and maybe after the crash Ratchet was knocked off line and Megs found he had more control and took advantage of that.

Well we don't know what happened to Shockwave yet. Also Megatron led a campaign of war for millions of years until the Marvel book starts the story and then they didn't know what to do with him for a while so they took him off the map. This is the first we've seen of him as a proper warlord and also given how he suddenly has the medical knowledge to ressurect zombibots we have to assume he's stolen some of Ratchet's know-how too.

Or you could skim over the details in the book and miss the answers to the easily resolvable "plotholes"... ;) 

7. Acteon

Acteon Overworked

Ebay:
    Not too bad, but I'd like to see more happening each issue. It feels a bit short each issue compared to MTMTE or RiD.

I did enjoy all the nods to the classic run - the Exo suits in the base were a clear nod to the UK Robot Buster story (one of my favourites), we got to see the Neo Knights, in silhouette at least, and Blackrock's back too, which I hadn't expected.

The tone has been pretty bleak so far, I hope we get at least a bit of relief at some point. I'm not optimistic though, seems we have Furman back in slaughterhouse mode.

8. hellrasinbrasin

hellrasinbrasin Well-Known Member

Die Die Autobots ... After 20 Years Overlord is ready to snuff out some Sparks. But really were you expecting something else besides a house cleaning I mean this is where The Marvel series would have gone had it not stopped initially. Could you imagine the conversation we're having now if Furman did then had the books continued with what he is doing now. The outcry would have been the same.

9. Methos

Methos ...Hail Megatron

Well if they were dead may be Scorponok left the mess for the Autobots to clean up.
    Wouldn't be the first time the Bots held dead/deactivated Decepticons on the Ark.
    back when Grim and Blaster were fighting for leadership of the bots the Decepticons launched a attack to liberate the dead/deactivated Decepticons from the Ark.

Megs has been on the Ark before,back during the run with Ratch reviving the Dinobots Megs was more or less left incharge of guarding the Ark while Shockwave was doing other stuff.

Yep same thought here about Shockwave,but what of Starscream.........

What makes you think he is trying to bring Thunderwing back??

10. Thundershot

News Credits:
    Ebay:

I dunno. Why else would they show Thunderwing's body at the end? The context of the dialogue seems to point to that being the "unattainable". Maybe I'm misreading it.

11. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No, this isn't where the Marvel comic series would've gone. This is a story Furman thought up twenty years later - unless he's now "doing a Lucas" and claiming this was his vision all along... but I don't think so.

12. Thundershot

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If he had done the story he wanted, Optimus wouldn't have returned in #80.

13. Acteon

Acteon Overworked

Ebay:
    Oh, I think there's a lot of new influences shaping the current yarn - the fact that they have 20 issues to craft a conclusion will provide a structure that an #81 of the day would have lacked.

What I really don't want to see is another Gen2, which had some good ideas but was basically a by-the-numbers kill-a-thon with character deaths being brutal, almost single panel affairs. I'm aware that's the nature of a real war, but such a hard edge seems almost out of place in a book about toys.

Still, I'm fascinated by Furman's ideas, as ever.

14. Thundershot

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I agree that when Simon has an end in sight, he just starts killing them en masse.

Other than how depressing the story is so far, I'm surprised to see 4 of my 6 favorite Marvel characters appear in some way so far: Ratchet, Fort Max, Scorponok, and Ratbat. Too bad 3 of them are either dead, almost dead, or zombified, and the other likely won't have any traits that made me live him.

I can still hope Nightbeat and Blaster (with visor) will be ok...

15. Kickback

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    I stick to my point that Furman messed up. There were no deactivated Decepticons from the Underbase saga on the Ark. We can't just "assume" ... you don't see, in real life, two warring factions take the others' dead and bury them in their own backyard.

Spike states, "A bunch of the 'cons that were in stasis from the Underbase that went offline when the Ark crashed".

Furman is thus telling us that:

1) Decepticons that died from the Underbase saga were on the Ark
    2) They were still alive in stasis
    3) The crash killed them and Megatron zombie-fied them

Which irks me a bit because it means that all the death that Budiansky created with the Underbase was just totally undone with a single line. Those characters were supposed to be dead and destroyed.

Sigh.

16. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^ Well at least the characters are still "dead and destroyed," and we don't know what mysterious resource or power Megatron used to create them.

Also, it is Budiansky who established that the Transformers offlined by Starscream could be repaired with new microchips way back in #55 or so.

17. Thundershot

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Right.

They were only "mostly dead". Like the many Autobots, they were offline but not dead. They never directly addressed what happened to the Decepticon bodies. Maybe Scorponok didn't want them? Most of them weren't his troops anyway. Who knows? It was never really said one way or another.

So if Optimus did collect them when he got the Autobots, they were likely in stasis. Megatron probably repaired them (maybe using all of the Nucleon) but lobotomized them...

Hmm... Maybe it's the Nucleon that made Megatron suddenly "crafty"..

18. General Tekno

General Tekno Self-Styled #1 Lugnut Fan

News Credits:
    Yeah; they were never dead dead, given Ratchet was lamenting about lacking the resources to repair them all after the Underbase saga.

Also, as someone pointed out on another board, it's totally a certain Marvel Comics organization that accidentally woke Megatron. I mean, beekeeper outfits!

19. Thundershot

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, AIM was the first thing to come to mind, but they're probably just radiation suits... (judging by the deco).

The base they're in... are we supposed to know it? A GI JOE base or something?

20. Methos

Methos ...Hail Megatron

You're right,I just saw the green and what I mistook for a tank barrel to the right and thought it was some kind of new body for Bludgen,as in movieverse style.

And yet Grimlock was able to bring them back online with some nucleon.

Thing that got me in the old comics when Grimlock and the revived Dinobots went back to Earth after everyone was transported to cybertron to fight Unicron.
    Snarl picked up a signle that was in two peices on Earth. I always wondered who/what that could have been.