Transformers protoforms?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Optimusprime32, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Optimusprime32

Optimusprime32 Member

Why do all autobots protoforms lookalike in the first movie and shared the same alt mode and why do other autobots and decepticons, like sentinel and megatron have different protoform modes? Just doesn't make sense.

2. Nope

Nope Predacon

News Credits:
    Probably because they only appeared in the shadows for a few seconds in the first movie.

3. THEdeathsHEAD

THEdeathsHEAD Lockdown's #1 Fan

We've covered this time and time again. Sentinel simply had a cybertronian mode, and the other autobots dropped their cybertronian modes and came to earth in protoform/reentry modes.

4. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Maybe because all "protoform" modes have a similar alt-mode?

5. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sentinel and Megatron never really turned into protoforms in the first place. In the prequel comics they all looked different on cybertron, but when they were traveling to Earth they took on a "protoform mode" and all looked the same (presumably a pre-scan mode, so they have the same characteristics). Sentinel had a ship and Megatron had his alt mode so they never had protoforms I guess. Best way I can explain it.

6. Erland

Erland Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    protoforms don't or shouldn't have alt modes..

7. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    In the movie-verse, "protoform" mode is used to describe their "arrival to earth" or "re-entry" modes, rather than the initial, pre-formatting "child" stage of cybertronian life.

8. TNG Prime

TNG Prime TNG Prime IS a title!

Simple. They never dropped their Cybertronian forms for space travel, because there was no need to. Sentinel had a ship (And was shot down by Starscream, who didn't know about the DOTM plan) and Megatron (This is from TFwiki) is one of the few TF's who can just go out to space without giving a scrap about protoforms or ships.

9. r6680jc

r6680jc Well-Known Member

Megatron and Sentinel Prime don't like to be seen 'naked', hence they won't to be in protoform mode.

10. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    Because Sentinel and Megatron have never been seen in their protoform modes in the movies. They've been seen in their Cybertronian modes. There's a big difference.

Sentinel and Megatron: CYBERTRONIAN MODES.
    First movie/Decepticon cannon fodder: PROTOFORM MODES.

Cybertronian. Protoform. Different. Protoforms lack any distinct vehicle parts because they're essentially a "blank slate" for Transformers, and are usually used for space travel. A common, nearly identical form for which they later scan a vehicle and reformat into their respective Earth modes. Cybertronian modes are basically Cybertronian versions of their Earth modes. They look similar, but are different. Cybertronian treads instead of Earth tires, different kibble, maybe different colour, but they have an alternate mode that would resemble their Earth mode.

Also, Bountyan's got his s**t together too.

11. daniel 97

daniel 97 Autobots' second in command

News Credits:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    The protoform IMO is basically the skeleton of the Transformer, but what happens when they scan a vehicle? I simply don't understand the whole process of trans-scanning. I mean I'm pretty sure Bumblebee's protoform looks something like this [​IMG]
    But what happens with Optimus, his protoform doesn't have eyes, nose or mouth, but in his earth mode he has??? How does this happen, is it that a whole exoskeleton wraps around the protoform itself?

12. primal789

primal789 Prime

News Credits:
    This may help.And he has eyes

Attached Files:

13. mttyns

mttyns Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Also, in the first movie they didn't bother giving the four bots individual protoforms because they weren't on screen long enough to warrant it so they just re-used the same model.

The Decepticon protoforms are cannon fodder and are just there to make up the numbers so don't get to look individual either.

It's all a practicality rather than any in-story reasoning.

14. Minh'T

Minh'T Descendant of Primus

Facebook:
    You should make the same question with why all the decepticons Protoform look alike in ROTF and DOTM, the answer is low budget. They use only one model to save budget

15. daniel 97

News Credits:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    So, according to this source, they automatically scan something upon arrival at their destination? I mean can they stay only as protoforms, can they survive?

16. primal789

primal789 Prime

News Credits:
    Yes,but they need to disguise themselves from the native life forms that live on the planet they landed

17. daniel 97

News Credits:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Which means I was right, there is an outer structure that wraps around the protoform!

18. Ironhide1234

Ironhide1234 Rust Bucket

News Credits:
    Protoform Autobots and Decepticons all Transform into meteor type things to travel across space.

Megatron, apparently, scanned an alien jet whilst he was following the Allspark.

Sentinel never needed to transform into protoform mode as he had the Ark.

But that leaves the question as to why the Autobots on the Ark, firing the Ark's cannon at Decepticon drone ships all looked similar.

Unless either a Decepticon or Autobot scans something and is onscreen for more than 5 minutes then they're characters and not cannon fodder :p 

19. primal789

primal789 Prime

News Credits:
    In their Protoform mode all look the same except Sentinel,Soundwave,Shockwave,Megatron and of course Ravage

20. hyruk

hyruk Genericon

Sentinel and megs were never in protoform modes, megs had his cybertronian jet alt mode in first movie and had a tank mode after he was upgraded by 'the doctor' using the parts of a constructicon who was killed;sentinel lay dormat in the art for almost +60 years and was in his cybertronian mode