2D Artwork: Transformers: Prime

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by SaberPrime, Sep 8, 2010.

1. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Well-Known Member

First two still images are the Modern Day Optimus Prime. His real name is Orian Pax, this is from my own personal continuity where all the "Prime" names are titles taken from the original Transformers which brings me to the second pair of images, the original Optimus Prime. The reason he's a Fallen repaint is because I based the idea to use the Fallen's mold from the movie. All the original Primes seen in ROTF looked like the Fallen with a few minor differences. Rather than changing the mold I thought it would be better and easier to tell them apart if they all had the same mold but were colored differently.

Obviously the red and blue ones are the standard versions and the purple and black ones are from the Shattered Glass universe.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2010
  2. SaberPrime

For my second round of images I have Ultra Magnus. My own personal Ultra Magnus is based a little bit on G1, RID, and Animated. Like Animated rather than being a car carrier he's kinda of my own version of whatever the heck Animated's vehicle was suppose to be. He's got G1 Ultra Magnus' personality. And obviously the design and his name was mainly inspired by RID Omega Prime. This time rather than Omega Prime being the combination of Ultra Magus and Optimus Prime it's just a single robot. Omega Prime is his title in the Primus Council.

The second is the original Omega Prime. And just so there's no confusion, these Fallen look-a-likes are actually separate characters from their modern day counterparts and do not share the same exact names. So while the modern version is a title the original is actually their name meaning these guys are not Ultra Magnus.

I kinda based the color scheme of the Shattered Glass versions off the G1 Ultra Magnus' original color change from the early trailers to the movie. It appears to just be a switch of the red and blue coloring so that's what I did. Though with that coloring I kinda inadvertently made SG Ultra Magnus look even more like Optimus Prime.

3. SaberPrime

This is my design for Hot Rod. He's a Cybertronian Car similar in design to nearly every Hot Rod car ever made with one minor alteration. He's a hover car, no wheels on this one. Hot Rod is simular in personality to G1 Hot Rod, he never wanted to be a Prime but the start of the war forces him to join the ranks with the other Primes. Except for SG Rodimus who like his G1 counterpart has the personality of Starscream.

The original Rodimus Prime has the personality of Energon Rodimus or Animated Rodimus Prime. And forgive the SG version, it's hard to put a goatee on someone who doesn't have a mouth.

4. SaberPrime

And now for Alpha Trion. Now when I original designed this guy he wasn't even going to be Alpha Trion, he was just going to be Vector Prime which is why he looks nothing like Alpha Trion. After I learned that Vector Prime's toy was repainted into Alpha Trion I gave him that name. And then after Shattered Glass came out I decided to give his counterpart a more fitting color scheme. Unlike the Alpha Trion toy however I didn't do much remolding on the head. I didn't want to make him look like a different character entirely but I did add some spikes for his facial hair.

The original Vector Prime I realize that his standard paint scheme looks more like Vector Prime than the SG version looks like Alpha Trion. Because of the animation effects involved with Fallen it's not that easy for me to match colors all the time. I'm working color blind and the computer does half the work for me.

5. SaberPrime

So far Primal Prime is the only Maximal I have sense he's really the only Maximal ever to hold the name Prime. The name is based off a repaint but the actual character is based more on the original. I added in my own twist that he got his beast mode off of Cybertron and damaged his memory circuits so he thinks that he's the original Primal Prime.

The actual original Primal Prime, well, not much to say about him.

The Shattered Glass colors I based off Optimus Prime sense the character he's based on actually shares the same name as Optimus. Sense he has no red parts however I used the orange to change into Purple. I've even kept the cracked windshield look that SG Optimus has. Couldn't do that with the original of course sense there's no glass on his chest... or at all...

6. SaberPrime

Just two images for this. The first is standard universe Primus. I used Cybertron mold and War Within coloring. The second image is Shattered Glass Primus. I didn't really have any other color designs to go off of so what I did was add a 50% occupancy to my version of Primus and past it over the original coloring. Standard Primus is of course Cybertron however in the Shattered Glass universe as I see it, Primus is able to travel the universe while SG Unicron serves as Cybertron.

7. SaberPrime

And now for the last of the Autobots. I'll post the Decepticons tomarrow. This is Zeta Minor. I was originally going to call him Minor Magnus referencing his alternate ranks in Animated but never really liked that name. I came across a web site showing "Sentinel Zeta Prime" from War for Cybertron. I kinda doubt that's his official name sense I can't find any other references to his name being Sentinel but Zeta Minor sounds better than Minor Magnus. His vehicle mode is basically a Cybertronian Snow Plow. The standard version is largely based on Animated Sentinel Prime. His design started out as being a more traditional style for the same design but that kinda fell after I finished the head and then I just did my own thing.

The original Sentinel Prime was almost a straight repaint till I realized the one I was basing his color on had yellow, red, and Purple in his chest while the original was only blue and red so I had to make that little change to his coloring. I actually based the "originals" off their modern day counterparts that I designed.

His SG coloring is based on his War Within name sake. Animated was mainly Blue and Yellow while WW was Yellow and Red.

8. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    just wondering have you asked Nick Kelsch about editing his work? you might want to at least credit the guy I mean you have just ripped apart his sprites

9. SaberPrime

1. Yes the base models were made by Nick Kelsch.

2. Nick isn't the only person who makes sprites like that and he's actually posted a tutorial on how to make them so I thought they were free to use.

3. Being Transformers, Hasbro owns most of the rights to them but we're able to make these things as fair use fan art. I'm also a fan of Nicks work which is why I used it as my base but all the editing is my own.

4. I don't even know how to contact Nick but if he has a problem with me basing my work on his sprites then I'll gladly take them down. ;) 

10. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    They'd be better to assess artistically if they were full sized drawings, not avatars.

11. SaberPrime

Except that I can't really draw worth a damn. Odd considering how many artists I have in my family but I never got that good.

12. SaberPrime

So here I have Megatron Prime/Galvatron In my own universe Megatron Prime is an Autobot who similar to Darth Maul when he joined the Sith, Megatron erased all traces of his former life when he became a Prime. Galvatron is the name he choose when he switches sides and takes over the Decepticons. I wanted to create a Megatron who doesn't start off as the main leader of the Decepticons so in my universe there are two other leaders who preceded him. Rather than making an upgrade, he just wears a crown as Galvatron.

The original Megatron Prime/Galvatron was created by Primus as Megatron Prime and later corrupted by Unicron who gave him the name Galvatron.

The main universe crown I just colored black and the SG Crown is based on the original colors. Obviously it Starscream's crown but it also helps the Galvatron look.

13. SaberPrime

Shockwave is a Decepticon spy. Unlike his Animated counterpart Shockwave himself is not a known Decepticon agent so there's no need for his to have the disguise. He was given the title of Longarm Prime though he's not at all like the original Longarm Prime. He transforms into a Cybertronian equivalent of a crane + wrecking ball though his laser arm actually acts as the wrecking ball in vehicle mode. In other words the laser blast replaces an actual wrecking ball.

The original Longarm Prime though his coloring is based on Shockwave was never known as Shockwave and was never a Decepticon.

The standard universe versions are based on the original Shockwave colors. The Shattered Glass coloring is loosely based on animated Longarm's coloring. Again I'm color blind and I didn't really have a color pallet to use so it's as close to Longarm as I can get. I basically just removed the blue from the existing colors which is the cause for the light purple turning red.

14. SaberPrime

I wanted Starscream to actually have some time as leader and then spend the rest of his time trying to regain his self proclaimed title. He's not an official leader sense at his time as Leader the Decepticons aren't even an established group till he ends up resurrecting the Fallen. As Leader of the Decepticons he uses the name Cyclonus. His coloring is kind of my own mix of the original Cyclonus, Starscream, and BM Jetstorm. He wears the crown as Cyclonus.

The original Cyclonus is just as ambitious as Starscream but without his name.

SG Starscream just like the official SG Starscream is based on the original Jetfire.

15. SaberPrime

Bombshell is Starscream's only real loyal follower. He uses the Herold name Scourge. The only difference in transformation to Obsidian is that his head doesn't go up side down in it's vehicle mode position. The helmet actually stays visible in vehicle mode as the crest operates as a laser cannon. Like Starscream I took coloring ideas from G1 Bombshell, Scourge, and BM Obsidian.

The original Scourge is much more intelligent than his modern day counterpart. The reason I used the coloring of the helicopter blades for the hands is kind of an inside joke. He didn't even have hands but when I showed the picture to my ex-girlfriend her current boyfriend thought the helicopter blades were claws.

The shattered glass coloring is based on Hot Rod.

16. SaberPrime

Soundwave is an old friend of Megatron's he recruited to join the Decepticons. Just like Megatron himself Soundwave wipes out all information of his past life before joining the Decepticons. His mold is based on Cybertron Soundwave.

The original Soundwave is a creation of Unicron like most of the other original Decepticons. I'm not a big fan of Shattered Glass Soundwave but I do like the way this one turned out.

17. SaberPrime

Standard Universe Unicron, the orange one, is Armada Unicron's mold with BWN Unicron's coloring. Shattered Glass Unicron, the black one, I did the same recoloring job only on Energon Unicron. I really didn't do much work on these at all. You can see I mainly just added a few red accents. Nick defiantly deserves most of the credit on these guys.

18. SaberPrime

And here we have the leader of the Predacons, Tarantulas. Like Primal Prime Tarantulas believes that he is the original Tarantulas. He's based mainly on TM Tarantulas.

The original Tarantulas wasn't even a spider but he was created from Spiders. Unicron uses components from the worlds he eats to create Transformers and an organic planet got into the works when the original Predacons were created.

Shattered Glass colors are based on his "Fox Kids" toy colors.

19. SaberPrime

This is a big one. We have, Ramhorn, Seaclamp, and Cicadacon. They are the only combiner I created. Seaclamp and Cicadacon remain mostly unchanged. Ramhorn however I gave him a rhino alt mode to credit the original Ramhorn. Their colors and robot heads are loosely based on their apperance in Beast Wars rather than the toys though I did take some coloring from the toys. Separately they know who they are but in their combined form they change to a 4th personality who thinks he's the original Tripredacus who falls apart when he tries to transform into the vehicle mode.

The original Tripredacus was not even combiner. His colors are largely different from the future version because I actually made 4 of them based on the colorings of the other 4 then gave them 25% occupancy and pasted them over each other. These guys literally took me about 2 weeks each to finish.

The Shattered Glass colors are based on the toy colors.

20. SaberPrime

Sideways joined the Decepticons after Fallen's resurrection. He was caught in the blast that freed Fallen from his prison and the Fallen convinced him that his name was Sideways. He was a drifter before this and no one knows who he really is. Later he learns that the real original Sideways later joined the Autobots so following his name sake he does the same thing. As the only Decepticon to join the Autobots he was given the title Nemesis Prime.

The original Sideways/Nemesis Prime joined the Autobots after much debate and was branded with the name Nemesis Prime as a reminder of his former allegiance.

Standard Universe is based on the colors of Armada Sideways. Shattered Glass version is based on his Energon repaint.