Transformers Prime vs Beast Wars

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by KAGE, Jun 3, 2012.

1. KAGE

KAGE aka: GibsonKAGE

News Credits:
    Not sure if this has been discussed before or not but...

I love Transformers Prime and even though the show "recycles" character models like nobody's business, it's forgivable because the show is so good. But My question is. Beast Wars only had 2 reused models, the spiders and the cats but yet they still had a variety of new characters. Why is it that Prime has such a hard time using new models?

2. soundwave142

soundwave142 Decepticon over-seer

News Credits:
    This has been discussed :3 prime's budget. Transformers prime does show more model on screen at the same time but alot are the same model ( vehicon miners, jet, cars, insecticons, scraplets) which makes sense. Though the have only reused a model for a main character for dreadwing which sense he's skyquakes twin fits in and makes sense. Also I believe beast wars had a higher budget than prime and will prime's lowers budget reduces the amount of new model they have time to makes sense for each character have a couple hundred parts that move and each character have 3 different models for their transformation

3. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

I don't think the premise of the question is valid. "Storm trooper" characters aren't equivalent to main characters with names and personalities, so Beast Wars is actually the worse offender.

4. KAGE

News Credits:
    I figured it has, didn't want to go digging for it lol!

But what I don't understand is that Beast Wars was around during a "dead era" for Transformers. You figure Prime would have a higher budget because of the movies.

But thinking about it now, Prime's CG model are obviously way more advance than the ones on Beast Wars/Machines.

5. Moonlight1102

Moonlight1102 Banned

I'll be honest, I stopped watching Beast Wars halfway through Season 2.

I don't remember why though seeing as that was years ago.

6. soundwave142

News Credits:
    prime models are simplified version of the way movie formers transform which is very complicated lol. Look at how beast wars characters transform then at prime .

7. KAGE

News Credits:
    I get your point, but for a show made for selling toys you figure they would feature as many as possible. But the whole tricking kids into buying a different color toy of one they already have comes to mind lol!

8. Sideways77

Sideways77 oh shoogah

News Credits:
    BW transform better. In Prime, the vehicle does a front-flip, a few parts move, and their suddenly in robot mode.

In BW, there were long, more detailed transformations.

9. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The BW models were less detailed, so that might have something to do with it.

I do like the BW transformations more though, where you can actually tell what's going on instead of there being an explosion of parts everywhere.

10. soundwave142

News Credits:
    It's actually that in prime they transform fast as hell. I had to slow down to see but there are so many parts moving it's confusing lol. In beast wars I saw everything that was going on during a transformation but in prime it happens so fast. They made arcee tranformation look like it maks sense. She kinda fold up and more compact for her transformation

11. StarryAqua

StarryAqua Former fandom follower

News Credits:
    The title made me think this would be some type of poll.

Anyway, it's because of budget.

12. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Their both great shows. End of story.

13. Rattrap Primal

Rattrap Primal Geek Overlord

Let's not forget that Beast Wars was made about 17 years ago, Prime has the advantage of newer technology

14. crazyjeffy

crazyjeffy Hammertastic

I like how the transformations are faster. If it takes more than 3 seconds to transform that's extra time the enemy can be killing you :p 

15. primeone

primeone PRIME

News Credits:
    look at the argument about character models this way at the end of season 2 of beastwars other than the main cast going transmetal and receiving a new models there were 17 different characters we aren't through season 2 of prime yet and we have 18 character models being the flying steve is different than regular steve the vehicon. where is your argument just because of the way the story went we got the main cast with new models we should have that many more characters in prime and have it dilute the smaller group dynamics where they can't have the character development I think things are progressing nicely and if it follows beast wars we will only get four more by the end of season 3 which would suit me fine.

16. romXXII

romXXII Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    People need to remove their BW nostalgia goggles, seriously.

17. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ???

Beast Wars is a legitimately good series. I'm rewatching it right now and I enjoy it more than most Prime episodes that come out nowadays. Nostalgia has nothing to do with it, coming from someone who barely remembers any of the episodes when it first aired.

18. BooyakaDragon

BooyakaDragon I Don't Even Know

News Credits:
    Until Prime ends, I can't fully compare them.

19. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    Me too.

If we're compairing seasons that's a different story. However Prime's not finished yet to make a true series comparison.

20. romXXII

romXXII Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    We're talking about animation, not story, right? Which is where my comment about nostalgia heavily applies. Anybody who looks at Prime and doesn't see the improvements over BW in terms of modelling, texturing, animation, shaders, and cinematography is definitely tripping on nostalgia.