Minor/Repaint: Transformers Prime: Ultra Magnus

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by wheeljack2010, Mar 26, 2012.

1. wheeljack2010

wheeljack2010 Constructicon

Just finished this guy tonight after many hours of work all day on him. Came together over the course of the weekend, started on friday night. So because I just love the show so much and have been so inspired by it, here's a UM from Primeverse as well. I made him with the idea in mind that he could go in just about any collection though (just like my Trailbreaker custom) be it Prime, Classics, or animated. I just have these guys displayed with my other Primeverse figures and they fit in nicely with the line.

So the recipe for this one is one Takara Animated Jetwing Optimus Voyager modified for the smokestacks and pods to fit on shoulders, Head from I-gear CC set, KO DIA commander pods/missiles repainted, Gen. Sky Shadow launchers for the stacks, G1 Magnus rifle and a Shapeways Prime blaster, and a complete repaint of the base body. Whew!!! Oh, and a reprolabel......

Enjoy him Folks! Still working on painting his other big axe\truck bed, so will post alt. mode pics when that is complete. Comments are always welcome, so let me know what you think!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. shinobi77

shinobi77 Fatbastard

Ebay:
    alt mode, need the altmode before I pass judgement....

3. SG Roadbuster

SG Roadbuster SG Wrecker

News Credits:
    alt mode pics please?
    btw, This. Is. Awesome.

[​IMG]

4. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm OriginalRotorstorm Fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Didn't think I'd feel this but I think it works quite well but as those above say, we really need to see vehicle pics.

5. Ultrawave

Ultrawave Hey look, I have a title

News Credits:
    His face is too un-Prime-like IMO, but otherwise I think this could work.

6. batmanprime

batmanprime Omega-con

Ebay:
    Are you friggin kiddin me? Magnus was alwys one of my favs. But hate the toys he's gotten.
    Why the hell hasn't Hasbro done that? It's sick bro. Wtg!

7. imoff2186

imoff2186 Well-Known Member

Nice Job!

8. vm-01

vm-01 Well-Known Member

To be fair leader Magnus was pretty cool and if Hasbro used this mold they would have just painted it white.

But I have to say this head looks surprisingly good on this mold.

9. cheetor71

cheetor71 Autobot

I'm not getting a Prime feel from this. It looks good. Will need to see his altmode though.

10. Cortexitron

Cortexitron Alternate Reality Patrol

Great looking bot, but I just can't deal with it till I see some alt mode pics!!!:D 

11. kjeevahh

kjeevahh n/a

News Credits:
    nice, but could do with having his nose filed off for the prime aesthetic!

12. deliciouspeter

deliciouspeter Back in Black TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    /\ Agreed. Prime Aesthetic = Noseless

13. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

Must have alt mode but love what you have done here

14. Rodimeister0088

Rodimeister0088 Prime

nice! if there wasnt already a magnus for animated, this would definetly seem like an appropriate candidate.

15. Stormvapor

Stormvapor Well-Known Member

Looks like a real beauty :) 

16. SG hailstorm

SG hailstorm JaAm aficionado

LOVE IT! its definitively prime styled, only one little nitpick and that would be to cut mag's nose off so he fits the trend primes going for of "the transformers have no noses and the humans do" thing, but no seriously....this thing is loads of winnage

17. wheeljack2010

wheeljack2010 Constructicon

Thanks everyone, appreciate the comments!:) 

Alt. mode pics will be up this weekend, so that will help for a better overall picture.

Should I really shave off his nose? That sounds silly to me, but that is how the Prime characters are.

18. slackerforhire

slackerforhire Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I always love checking out your work, and while it still top notch here, I'm just not feeling it as much as some of your others. As others said, it might be that the face is still too "classics-y". If you're happy with the face, that's what matters. However, if you were going to alter the face, I'm not sure if removing the nose is necessarily the right way to go. Sure, that's the signature Prime aesthetic, but without that little bit of extension on the face, I think the overhang of the helmet might appear to be too extreme. I wonder if extending the helmet down a bit - kind of like Impactor's helmet - would do the trick? Then again, while you might begin to lose that Classics feel, you might not necessarily be gaining any of the Prime feel... so maybe I'm not the one to give any suggestions :lol 

Anyway, like I said, good work on this - It's always fun to see what you've cooked up. Can't wait to see the alt mode images!

19. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    One thing I notice here is the level of critique this thread is holding. I think it's a very good thing, and I think it says a lot about the work here. I think there are a few things that may need attention, but also this custom is very far in the right direction.

wheeljack2010, I really hope you can take all of the advice given in this thread and go back to this custom to make some adjustments. I think when you do, you'll find that you have gotten some very valuable advice from your peers here. I really think that if applied well, you're going to have an even more awesome piece :) 

20. Taiki

Taiki Well-Known Member

Heee... minor suggestion on how to make the face more Prime-ish? [not sure if it works...]
    I guess you could use a bit of putty to sorta thicken the crest and the bits of his helmet above his eyes downwards to taper together so it covers his nose?... and you can cheat a bit by fashioning em kinda like eyebrows... though... He'll look a bit more like Optimus...
    you can get away without cutting the nose off then, but the drawback is that he'll look a little aggressive...
    irritating thing about this head is that it's nice, but really, really detailed, and not quite as clean or sleek as the Prime guys, so modding it to look more Prime-ish would... be a bit of work...
    That being said, ace job! XD really love what you've done with im. ;)  Can't wait to see what'll you do with the head. XDXD