Transformers Prime Toys Quality?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by neospark1, Jun 4, 2012.

1. neospark1

neospark1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have given much thought on the quality of Transformers Prime toys recently and noticed some trends.

1. Hollow limbs. Instead of solid legs and/or arms - there are "gaps" in the plastic. The figures are much lighter in comparison from say a deluxe Beast Wars figure to a deluxe Prime figure.

2. The Voyager figures are completely missing ratcheting joints in this series. I have already had to use nail polish to tighten up both Voyager Prime and Megatron's. I have never had to do this with other series Voyager figures due to the ratcheting joints.

3. The plastic on some figures such as Knock Out feel almost a step or two away from a knock-off toy.

4. I love Voyager Bulkhead but I do not so much as Transform as parts pop off and change positions rather than actually transform.

So I love the show ... love the characters ... but the quality and construction of the toys seem to suffer. Thoughts?

2. Fallout

Fallout Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    quality is going down for sure. soundwave is pretty much hard rubber and there are stress marks in all his nooks and crannies.

3. Spawn77

Spawn77 U.S. Marine

Were these the FE Optimus and Bulk?

My FE Bumblebee has very loose arm joints. Other than him I haven't had any problems yet.

*Edit* I forgot, my FE Arcee was missing the pink paint apps on her face.

4. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

I haven't had any issues with my Prime figures, especially Soundwave. Mine is holding up wonderfully and I've not seen any stress marks whatsoever. My other two Prime figures; Knock Out and Wheeljack, are also not feeling any lower in quality (save for KO's rather blatant lack of paint apps) and remain just as good as some of my Animated figures.

5. DBarricade

DBarricade General Nutcase

The only tightening I've had to do to any of my Prime figures so far has been Cliffjumper. And even then, it was simply that his hips weren't as tight as I would have liked them to be. Meanwhile, I've had to tighten First Edition Cliffjumper's left shoulder twice now, and have tightened First Edition Bumblebee's left outward shoulder. The gaps in the parts has always existed, so that they save money by not having to use as much plastic. And I haven't really noticed a drop in plastic quality, even compared to a Beast Wars toy.

I'll give you this, some of them do feel maybe a bit lighter than a Beast Wars Deluxe, but I don't really see that as a mark of quality. I'd have to have a sensitive, accurate scale to be able to tell for sure, and it doesn't matter to me nearly enough to go weigh them. I'm a little disappointed that Megatron (my only Prime Voyager at the moment, and probably to stay until Breakdown and Dreadwing) hasn't any ratchet joints in him, but that's probably the least of my problems with the toy.

6. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    Funny I don't have the loose joint problems on my FE Prime and Bulkhead, unless you're talking about the RID ones.

If ever, the only Bot I seem to have problems with is FE Bumblebee, whose arm is a little bit loose, the others I can see where you're saying that they're lighter and smaller in comparison to older figures (i.e. TFP Voyager Prime vs say TFA Voyager Prime) otherwise they're great figures though, great articulation.

7. jamspeed

jamspeed is so beast!

Ebay:
    I'm seeing more issues with this line, figures that I have have minor defects and I'll look at others in the package and see the same things. I will admit to being real picky but with several figures I'm seeing things.

1) My Prime Ratchet has 2 different colored sections on the roof. I have also seen this on other peoples toys - I think Gogdogs photos in flicker show the same thing. You can't tell in bot mode but it still bothers me.

2) My Prime Wheel jack has a molding issue on the roof on the front right,
    it is pulled up on the front corner and not flush like it should be. Again I have seen this on other ones in difference stores and they look almost as bad.

Is anyone else seeing these issues in there area? I'm in south Florida.

8. Kaiwera05

Kaiwera05 Soundwave Enthusiast

Ebay:
    I actually haven't had any issues with any of my Prime figures, minus some looseness on the PRID CJ's legs, but that's just ball joints being ball joints. This is actually my favorite line in a while.

9. TwilightNero

TwilightNero Maximal

Ebay:
    I honestly haven't had a single problem yet. The only thing that could be considered a problem is Voyager Megatrons cannon being too heavy.

10. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    cracked joint on ratchet right out of the package, voyager megs is a floppy mess,

i've seen more paint apps on kos, and better defined detailing, i think minus a couple choice figures, i'm done with this line
    (RID, not FE, the FE were incredibly detailed)

11. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke Flynn Lives TFW2005 Supporter

I have only got cyberverse in the Prime line, and so far except for BB being a wobbly mess in the upper torso it has been solid quality wise.

12. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    I only have Soundwave, Voyager Starscream, and Legion Vehicon, but I haven't noticed any exceptional quality issues. No obvious stress marks (much less any that make me hesitant to move related parts), joints are neither too tight nor too loose, and SW's "softness" seems justified in a toy-safety sense given his pointyness (it's not warping or snapping or anything, no complaints from me).

13. Mewtwo

Mewtwo Transform & Bamboo out

:(  Aww... Brr-icy...

14. Stygian360

Stygian360 Well-Known Member

The quality of the Prime toys is great. Some have complained about lower quality plastics, etc., but I'm not seeing it at all. As long as you aren't hard on your toys (and if you are you're probably hard on everything else) you should be fine.

15. konrathink

konrathink Jared Magnus

Quality has been going down since DOTM. That line had a lot of skinny legs and lighter plastic.

I have this love/hate relationship with the Prime figures. I haven't had any cracks or stress marks, but it only seems like a matter of time. You can only go so thin with the plastic before it gets to a breaking point. They feel like nothing in hand compared to previous lines. I do find it funny how they designed the characters in Prime to be more skinny so the toys would be screen accurate while cutting back on the plastic (ie, Starscream, Soundwave, Arcee & Airachnid).

16. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Rattrap Teabag

News Credits:
    I've had pretty good QC luck with mine thus far...no super loose joints or sloppy paint yet. But I do agree the plastic quality and engineering has felt really cheap for the last couple years.

17. Timesynch

Timesynch Go For Broke! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    FE quality is top notch in my experience. RiD quality is hit and miss. RiD plastic is definitely flimsier and lower quality than FE, with its bendier and lighter (bordering on feeling like KO quality) plastic. Soundwave and Knock Out are big offenders of this. The lack of paint apps is also disappointing (again, Knock Out is a major culprit; hopefully Reprolabels makes some stickers for him soon). As for joint problems, RiD Vehicon's ball joints being a tad loose, making poses somewhat of a chore. I think I'll tighten them up with glue when I get home. Oh, and my Voyager Starscream's waist wouldn't tab in all the way in bot mode without a little glue.

18. Mewtwo

Mewtwo Transform & Bamboo out

Oh? So you know for a fact that they made the designs of the show skinnier just for the sake of the toys and not just because that was a new design aesthetic? I'd like to see your quoted source to prove this.

Or is this just another assumption stated like it's fact?

19. Spawn77

Spawn77 U.S. Marine

I don’t really see the plastic issues. Comparing my Prime figures to my Classics/RTS them seem to be on par. The only one who feels like the plastic may be too thin is FE Bumblebee.

FWIW there are more stress marks on my RTS Bumblebee than any of my Prime figures.

20. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    The plastic feels cheap yeah, but thats just the way it is now.

I've only had two QC problems with the Prime toys so far:
    1 - Voyager Prime's legs are very loose. I can fix it easily, but I've just been lazy
    2 - Cliffjumper had the pin behind his wrist put in wrong so the panel doesnt line up and slot into place without causing stress marks on the plastic.

Thats out of all the deluxe/voyager figures released so far minus Arcee, Knock Out, Hot Shot and Wheeljack.