Transformers Prime Toyline Scale

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Quantum25, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Quantum25

Quantum25 Well-Known Member

What I've noticed so far with the TF Prime line (both FE and RID) is that there seems to be two scales portrayed by the toyline, excluding Cyberverse. (I'm pretty sure that several of you have already figured this out, but I'm just throwing it out there.)

In one scale, arguably the most prevalent one, is the one that centers around the deluxe Autobot and Decepticon cars as being in the deluxe scale would mean that they're roughly the same size as the case in the show. In addition to the deluxe cars would be voyager Bulkhead (both versions), Breakdown, and Starscream as they have been shown to be taller than their deluxe compatriots (in the show and in the toyline). However it can be argued that Starscream is still a tad bit too tall, but fits in better with this scale than the deluxe would (I'm pretty certain that Bumblebee is not as tall as Starscream when Scream's been shown to be as tall as Bulkhead who's taller than Bee i.e. FE Starscream vs. FE Bumblebee). Arcee and Airachnid (most likely) would also fit in this scale in terms of robot mode. Cyberverse Arcee scales pretty well in vehicle mode.
    (Weaponizer Prime may or may not fit as well, though I have nothing to support this statement until the toy comes out)

As for the other scale, it centers around voyager Optimus (RID and FE though the FE is a tad bit too big, YMMV of course) and Megatron. In this scale would also include the voyager Dreadwing/Skyquake mold as Dreadwing/Skyquake was shown to be of the same statue as Optimus but a bit shorter than Megatron. Being a voyager allows him to be roughly in scale with the two leaders, but we'll have a better idea once the figure is released. Along with those three are deluxe Ratchet, Soundwave, and Starscream. In terms of Ratchet and Soundwave, they're pretty much a perfect fit for this scale since Ratchet was shown to come up to Prime's chest (right under the windows) where as Starscream and Soundwave come up to a similar area when next to Megatron. However in this case, the deluxe version of Starscream also ends up a bit too tall to be in perfect scale with the others, but that just seems to be the case with Starscream.

This only leaves Deluxe Prime and Megatron as the odd bots out. As for the Cyberverse, they seem to scale pretty well in robot mode (for the most part).

Now, I'm interested in what you all think about this. While sure, scale and Transformers never really works out, it still remains a fairly important factor in many collections even though it's very possible to enjoy a fun TF figure without having to worry about scale. Any thoughts?

2. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    I'm passing on the cyberverse versions on this line. I think the deluxes of all of them work well enough, with Voyager Optimus, Megs, and Bulky. FE is superior in all cases except Vehicon. That's good enough for me.

3. Quantum25

Fair enough.

4. Mewtwo

Mewtwo Transform & Bamboo out

:confused:  So much concern over scale...

I mean don't get me wrong. Having some scale and stuff is nice. Real nice. But I just really want the cool Figures/Molds/Toys. :thumbs2: 

5. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Scale has been ok so far in prime
    Some that stick out it my head as being bad to the point of being useless is voyager starscream and legion breakdown. Most everybody else I can squint and say close enough although I wold love a slightly bigger megatron

6. Quantum25

Actually I originally brought this up in the Voyager Starscream pictorial thread when some members where on the fence about the toy (as in they liked it, purple forearms and all :lol ) but thought about passing on it due to it's size and only it's size. The purpose of this was to show that many of the figures are actually in scale with each other and in cases like Starscream to show that the figure isn't "useless"/unnecessary. Sure he's oversized next to Megatron and Prime, but he looks pretty good and in scale next to Bulkhead and the Deluxe cars. This is pretty much how I divided them up into the two scales, one centered aroung the deluxe & voyager cars; the other centerd around Prime & Megatron.

But I agree, having a cool/fun toy is higher up on my priorities, but for them to be in scale is a great bonus. This thread just happens to cater to those more so concerned with scale.

7. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Yeah, I'm having a tough time with this myself. I'm all about the overall display of the line, rather than individual figures.

I picked up FE Bumblebee because I thought it scaled better with Arcee, but now it makes Ratchet look far too small.

Ratchet needs to be a Voyager, not because of height, but because of heft. He's large. Almost Bulkhead large. And the toy doesn't remotely show that.

And I'm personally fine with the mainline Optimus, as he and Megatron scale perfectly together.

Now for the Decepticons, I don't have Starscream yet, as I'm waiting for the Voyager. But if Starscream's a Voyager, then Soundwave needs to be one too. And of course that's not the toy we have currently. And because they aren't supposed to have any height advantage over Megatron and don't possess the bulk and heft of Bulkhead, Ratchet, or Breakdown, they may be stuck in no man's land.

It's tough. As I do with my Henkei Legends figures, I may just have to imply scale with how I arrange the display.

8. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Honestly, I think scale is what you make of it. If characters aren't as big or small compare to others as you think they should be, then don't have em standing back to back. Distance them with varying objects in between, and use depth & props to your advantage. It doesn't need to keep us up at night... hah

9. Mewtwo

Mewtwo Transform & Bamboo out

I do understand the somewhat concerns for scale. Like, I too saw Voyager SS (in pics) being taller then Megs and it does kind of affect it a bit. But if I really want it scale is not going to stop be from getting it. Because in the end I want it for what it IS. Not what it isn't. So even if scale is all out of wack I still want the figure for the figure. To enjoy the figure, the character, the mold/sculpt, the transformation etc.. If any of that makes any sense...

The scale I consider a nice bonus when it works out. Like you said. :)