Transformers Prime Toyline Enigma

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by hotrod54, May 21, 2012.

1. hotrod54

hotrod54 Banned

Why are we getting repaint "characters" in the TF Prime line that are not only not in the show, but not even planned. Prime seems to be sticking to the less is more mentality with this series as they have yet to add anyone to team Prime. Yet, we have a Hot Shot bumblebee repaint on the shelf now, a Dead End repaint of Wheeljack next up. And then we will see a Rumble and Kup incarnation that, again, are not only not in the series but Kup is a repaint of a character that is not in the series. Now, I understand that Hasbro is abunch of greedy louses and that is why they are ultimately doing this, but it is obsurd.

Anyone else thought about this???

2. Erector

Erector I ruined the Hall of Fame

News Credits:
    Yes, how dare they give you more toys.

3. hotrod54

hotrod54 Banned

You know what I mean. Why not give us toys we want?

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2012
  4. Flexx Ark

Flexx Ark Cyberverse Completionist

News Credits:
    Exactly my thoughts Erector.....

5. Kuma Style

Kuma Style Toy Photography TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I wish I had this same complaint about G1 classics....

"Oh darn! Every character from Season 1-2 and Headmasters, and then some!? Damn you Hasbro!"

I would LOVE to see there day where I could post that thread.

But on a more serious note: O.P., I'd understand where you're coming from more if it looked like they were skimping on the actual cast to bring about repaints instead, but it looks like all of the additional characters are being done as additional characters to the full cast lineup of toys they have.

Even being out of collecting the Prime toy lines, I have nothing but respect for the fact that they've literally covered damned near every character seen on the show in a 6 month time frame. That is incredible.

6. hotrod54

hotrod54 Banned

Well they could....gee I don't know....maybe release the rest of the CHUG figures they never got to. Or maybe even release the final wave of DOTM. Or maybe even release the final RTS wave........

Just a few suggestions to those morons in marketing at Hasbro.

There is nothing impressive about what they have done w the Prime toyline. As a matter of fact all that toyline has done for us is allow Hasbro to screw us all over on the price, size, and quality of figures.

For some reason i don't find this impressive at all.

7. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    Common business practice to not release everything at once, helps keep interest alive. This is very likely the reason we have yet to see a Classics Arcee or why DotM Que was held back so long.

Answer me this: If you had the entire cast right now, would you still have any interest in the toyline?

8. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

I for one would like to see Hasbro bookend repaints with characters from the show that haven't been released yet such as Voyager Breakdown and the aerial Vehicons.

9. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Simple idea, if you don't like Rumble, Dead End, Kup, ect, save the money for stuff you do want.

As for myself, Dead End and Rumble will be in my display case as soon as I see them. I need to add to my Prime Decepticon force.

10. TwilightNero

TwilightNero Maximal

Ebay:
    The OP seems to forget tha thist is a series that has a whole 3rd season that is planned and needs to have toys sold during it. It's called spacing out releases to keep interest in the line. If you bought all the characters from the show, would you even look at any of the non-show characters? Only time your interest would be repeaked, is if a new characters was introduced.

11. Jazz342

Jazz342 Well-Known Member

Seriously? Seriously?!?
    Hasbro makes repaints because reusing a mold helps them to regain assets used in the design and marketing of a mold. If they dont reuse a mold, they dont profit. If they dont profit, no NEW tfs.

12. hotrod54

hotrod54 Banned

What characters. As I said before, they are going in a less is more direction. That is obvious. Besides the original ten or so TF's in the series, only three or four have been added to the series since it started. By the end of season two in G1, you had 50+ characters in the show.

You might call it waht you will, but I call it doing more with less. Mainly, milking you of all your cash w/o having to expense a new mold. You can repiant whatever and call it what ever, but at the end of the day the only toys that sell are the ones featured in the show. Hasbro has reached a new low in shamelessness with the Prime line featuring more repaints that actual figures.

BTW, if your theory is correct, then why didn't Hasbro pepper the waves with featured and on featured characters rather than having all the feauted characters in the first few waves?

13. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    As others have said, it's simply to extend the line. Personally speaking, I think this is where the modern toylines really get interesting. RotF is pretty much the king of this concept.

14. Jazz342

Jazz342 Well-Known Member

Airchair corporate officers at work once again. Lol

15. Stygian360

Stygian360 Well-Known Member

I empathize with your concern, but this appears to be a first world problem and definitely an embarrassment of riches scenario. Although I agree that having characters on shelf with no in show character tie in seems to make little sense if selling more toys to kids familiar with the show is Hasbro's goal, but there is nothing wrong with seeing figures on shelf with no accompanying tie-in. Fans know who they are- or who they're meant to represent from the lore- and that's enough. Kids will simply see a new iteration from the show and either hope they make it into the program someday, or simply accept the character as someone new and cool. Either way and regardless of how you look at it, we all win= more toys.

16. Kuma Style

Kuma Style Toy Photography TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    - The price points for deluxes/voyagers hasn't changed.

- I don't see where poor quality comes into play: Whether they're FE, or P:RID, all of the figures I'd owned were good, sturdy, playable figures, with nice aesthetics. If figures like Wheeljack, Soundwave, etc. etc., were released in FE packaging, no one would even blink an eye, but they've mind fucked themselves into thinking "Everything in a P:RID package is crap", so at the end of the day, the only thing that's poor quality, is that mindset.

- So, when it comes to "screwed", I'm not seeing where you're coming from. The company gives you the main cast members, and then some, and you're having a tiff because of the fact that you have more character choices on the shelves than just the ones in the show? I'm sorry, but that doesn't even make sense to me. As others have said, they've already pretty much released every character that's been on TV already... is the line supposed to just die and then come back when they introduce a new one?

17. TwilightNero

TwilightNero Maximal

Ebay:
    Name one character trait of all the 50+ characters from S2 of G1 and I'll concede.

And like I said, we are still at least a season or two away from the finale of this series. The odds of no new characters being add to either faction in that period of time is little to none.

18. oswaldCobblepot

oswaldCobblepot Well-Known Member

I can't speak for Dead End, but the other so-called '"characters"' are all tributes/prime-ing of characters from previous shows/comics. I'm personally pretty excited to have a Prime version of Sergeant Kup. As far as "only doing repaints", I don't know if you've noticed this, but a lot of Transformers have the same base 'protoforms'. It's like the various human races. Sure the faces are different, but the base model is basically the same. From a technical standpoint, let's see /you/ engineer all these separate, individual toys that literally physically transform from one mode to another. It's much easier to just design a new head/weapons/paintjob than to engineer entire new models. Also like everyone else said, not releasing all the characters at once keeps interest up, and releasing other non-show characters keeps interest longer and gives them time to engineer more cool designs.

/textwall

19. hotrod54

hotrod54 Banned

Ill try to hit your points.

Screwed on price - Price point is not the same. The deluxe price point for DOTM was 9.99, now it is 12.99

Screwed on size - Obvious, price point for old Voyager size is now 24.99; new "Voyager (deluxe)" price point is 19.99.

Screwed on quality - Toys are now made with a blend of alternate materials that were not created to last. Just wait five years down the road when your collection turns into oil based peanut brittle...........

You all don't see what is happening here. Look back 5 years. You could buy a beefy deluxe chracter made from built to last prime resin for 8.99

Fast forward five years and look what we have today. Look at PRID Soundwaves arms if you would like a good example.......your taking it in the rear and you don't even realize it.

And to the above joker who rants "really...really". Yes really. You are native as a country girl on prom night if you think these clowns are not profitting off you. I would be willing to wager it closts less than .50 a unit to put together those"deluxes" you are shelling out $13 plus tax for.

20. hotrod54

hotrod54 Banned

Character trait? You mean what differs between one bot to the next? You mean like Motormaster's pride? Astrotrain and Blitzwings ambition? Powerglides soft hearted love life? Moists (Hoist) star-struck pride?

Like that?