Transformers Prime RID Cliffjumper - Mini Review and Comparison pics

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Thenames9, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Don't understand the cheaper part either, unless the FE version won't be at retail.

2. Shmoptimus Prime

Shmoptimus Prime Za Warudo!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    I like the facial expression/face mold better.

3. Karhukjnsi

Karhukjnsi Universal Wrestler

News Credits:
    I disagree, the headscuplt, weapon, legs, and chest are still huge reasons for why I just may skip the FE version for this one.

I was originally worried about the size, but next to TC makes me feel a tad better.

4. Azrail

Azrail Well-Known Member

This is my first post like this so I hope you like it. :) 
    I've taken lots of pictures of Transformers Prime RID Cliffjumper for your viewing.
    The first bunch shows him next to the First Edition version so you can see how they compare. The second set I will post will show his scale next to some other bots. I'll try and leave appropriate observations too :) 

No matter which Cliffjumper you get you will enjoy it! :D  They are both really nice figures. Neither are perfect. Hopefully there will be another that combines them into an ultimate version.

Some quick robot details:
    He has an automorph feature. When you pull his shoulders down his head pops up from it's slight hiding place.
    The wrists are on a ball joint but the movement is limited. They can only be moved down or left/right. The doors get in the way of everything else.
    The feet are on a ball joint and have very good movement. He stands nice and sturdy.
    He has a waist swivel that works well.
    Legs are on a ball joint. Knees aren't and only go backwards.
    Shoulders are on a ball joint but the wheels can get in the way. There is a swivel joint below the shoulders.
    Elbows only bend up as far as the long arms allow.
    The head will only move side to side and behind it are the cogs for the automorph. It does have light piping which should be good for the Terrorcon version

IMG #1. He is considerably shorter than the FE version, but that one has large shoulders. I would say the RID version comes up to about the middle of the FE versions face.
    The RID is only red and silver/gray now. No black for the body except the fake windscreen.

IMG #2. The back kibble hangs lower on him, if I did it right. You can raise it up a little if you ignore where it locks in. They do both have fake red wheels on the legs. The RID version though is more noticeable.
    Also the back of his legs is hollow. Unlike the FE one which is covered by flaps.

IMG #3. I would say the kibble hangs out a bit farther on the RID one. But it fits with the overall style so doesn't detract.
    The sides of his arms also have a big gap on it where the wheel arch is. The windows fold down slightly over his arms but really should go down further.
    The doors clip together in a U style clip which is ok but can slip a little. The front grill folds down above his elbows.

IMG #4-5. The car mode is only slightly shorter, same width but not as high.
    So when next to Bumblebee it looks like a whole different scale. Somewhere between Deluxe and Scout. Not that all scales match in a line.

It transforms much simpler than the First Edition and clips together much tighter with less obvious lines. There is no gap between the hood and the windshield now also. I didn't do a good job of transforming the FE and forgot to flip some windows up.

The windows are now very clear and there are no breaks in the side windows like the FE. What annoys me is behind the windshield. There is all these connector pieces I can't see much of a purpose for except to hold it on?

IMG #6. You can see the fake chest and the head below.

IMG #7. The fronts are very similar but the RID lights and horn are different colours.

IMG #8. Same with the back but no exhaust pipes. Plus added black.

IMG #9-10. There are holes on the top and sides for the weapon. Shame they couldn't have used the trick that DOTM Roadbuster does. Also there is no Autobot symbol anywhere on him.
    For some reason I didn't take a pic of his robot mode with the weapon but there are a few of those around.

I hope this review helps people in decided which they prefer or looking forward to it. This particular one will soon end up in the hands of my good friend Prowl4680 :cool: 
    Enjoy the images as I've edited them to try and be as clear as possible.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  5. Azrail

Azrail Well-Known Member

Here are a bunch of images I took with many things to try and show off his scale and size.

I will try and answer some questions where I can but as these threads can move so fast it gets tricky! :lol  Enjoy! :cool: 

6. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Not as small as I thought. Bigger than a scout for sure. That robot mode... I don't know how they got the first Cliff so right and this one so wrong.

I like how the packaging is smaller, though.

7. helli0n

helli0n Active Member

Ebay:
    Can the RiD version turn his hands/fists all like the FE version..? If so is it easier to turn the hands on the RiD version..? Just a a bit curious.

Anyway, nice review. Thanks..! :thumbs2: 

8. Azrail

Azrail Well-Known Member

No the RID one comes with a weapon. It can be held as a gun or a club. They can't become weapons like the FE ones can.
    The hands fold inside the doors and don't spin around the whole way like FE.

9. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    He meant if it had wrist articulation, not if they turned into weapons.

And as far as I'm aware. RiD doesn't have wrist articulation... I think that was mentioned in one of the reviews. Lemme check.

10. Azrail

Azrail Well-Known Member

The wrists are on a ball joint but the movement is limited.
    They can only be moved down or left/right. The doors get in the way of everything else.

I added some more robot mode details to the review. Joints etc.

11. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Are we being punked? Why do the FE toys look so much better than the wide release RiDs? Everything seems backwards. The toys are supposed to get better as the line goes on, not worse. What the hell is going on with this toy line?

12. Stryker055

Stryker055 Trying my best here!

Ebay:
    Eh, I'll stick with the FE (if I can even find it).

13. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    They're getting gimmicky.

14. Generalstratton

Generalstratton Well-Known Member

I am so glad i was lucky enough to stumble on a FE Cliffjumper.

15. mazintotoro

mazintotoro Well-Known Member

Nice comparison shots. Confirms for me if I want a Cliffjumper I definitely want the first edition one.

16. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The FE toys were designed as Generations toys, probably with a slight skewing towards the older market that that entails.

The RiD toys are the line launch proper, so they're a bit more gimmicky and possibly slightly simplified, because it's the new mainline and needs to be kid friendly as well.

17. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Proud grandpa

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm beginning to think that the First Edition figs are more for collectors and that the RID line is for kids.

18. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Although, weirdly, the RiD Voyager Opimus' transformation seems a lot more complex than the FE. Maybe Voyager Megatron's as well.

19. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    This is probably the closest thing to truth. Indeed as mentioend the FEs were originally Generations (not the Voyagers, obviously, they came along once the choice was made to have them be a preview wave of sorts) so they're more collector/older children targetted, wheras the line proper has to be accessible to young and older children.

Also it's one of my most hated expressions ever, but this Cliff really does have gorilla arms. Smaller, rounder upper arms with long, thick lower arms liek a gorilla. He even has shorter, pudgier legs. Coupled with his round chest I just can't help thinking it's beast mode Primal in cosplay.

20. SCPrime

SCPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    seeing these pics, I prefer FE. Glad I have it preordered thru BBTS