Minor/Repaint: Transformers Prime Ratchet w/ custom box

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by project9, Jul 16, 2012.

1. project9

project9 White n' Nerdy

It's been a while since I've done any customs. Being busy working 7 days a week at 2 jobs and spending free time with my kids leaves little time to work on stuff. I've also had no real interest in customizing movie-styled toys, which is all there's really been the past few years aside from a CHUG-type figure here and there in a HftD/RtS/Generations line. I have some scratchbuilds and stuff in progress/hiatus but in regards to plain, old repaints and what-not, I've not felt the need to do any. Most of the toys don't need to have every mold detail accentuated or be perfect, so those with the majority of the key coloring/details is fine with me.

With that being said, TF Prime Ratchet was a slick little figure but was totally too white. Like a pale white guy out at the beach. He absolutely needed some extra paint. So after about 2+ months of work, here is my TFP Ratchet. I was able to practically 100% color match the stock red-orange color with about 50% Testors Guard Red and 50% Chrome Yellow, so I was able to leave the stock paint apps alone and touch up some areas without having to repaint the whole thing. I tried airbrushing some of him but most all of him is hand brushed (you can tell by my crappy brush strokes on it).

I tried going for show accuracy but made some concessions in regards to the EKG detail, doors on the rear of the cab and the stripe/rails on the top of the cab. I went more for a bot mode accurate design than alt mode. He doesn't transform as he does in the show, so it's impossible to mimic the EKG stripe. Since it needed to be on his arms, I continued the thick red stripe to form it rather than the upper thin one as on the CGI model. That piece and the arm stripes were a pain in the ass to do. I did the EKG stripe by laying down some artist crepe tape for the design and applying liquid mask over it and peeling the tape off. The shoulders were by hand. Both I had to go back and use the tip of an exacto blade to scrape away paint to get the right look and (mostly) sharp edges. I really was tempted to do all the doors on the back of his cab but left them just red, more towards a bot mode accurate look.

Other highlights include:
    * Dry-brushed details - Aluminum over Gunmetal base-coat for lights, rear bumper, sun visor, upper arms, thighs, crotch, abs, knees and toes. Aluminum rims.
    * Lights are clear red/yellow over drybrushed base. Extra Aluminum paint was used to try and simulate clear lights on rear/side and top lightbar.
    * CGI accurate Gunmetal details in abs & crotch
    * CGI accurate white stripe on front side panels
    * CGI accurate chest & shoulder detail
    * Added mostly CGI accurate red paint app detail to front bumper, head, collar, shoulders, arms, back/backpack, chest/abs, inner thighs, inner calves, knees, toes
    * Used package CGI for reference on paint app detail on the swords
    * Key areas coated in a few coats of Future/Pledge to try and prevent paint scraping (though, I don't know what you can really do to prevent it on the backpack areas. lot of stuff moving/touching around there.)
    2+ months seems like a lot of time but with maybe an hour or so every couple of days to do all the above detail takes a while to finish. I also made a pair to put on eBay, which I suppose doubled/tripled the time needed. I'm still working out how to take good photos (can't seem to get Depth of Field right no matter the F-stop to get everything in focus) but they're not too bad.

Next up at some point will hopefully be Knockout, as he's lacking his signature yellow highlights and needs some work too. Thanks for looking and for your comments! (and sorry for the lengthy novel of post)

Attached Files:

2. project9

project9 White n' Nerdy

I also made a custom box package for one destined for eBay. My wife threw out the 2 trays I saved for them so I had to dig up the one from mine. So only one person gets a nice box. =)

It's styled from the First Edition packaging. It's built around the plastic tray he comes in from the RiD package, so about 6.75" square, 2.75" deep. It's not perfect, as I didn't get the sheets line up 100% when I glued them down, but it's a nice little addition.

Also attached is a couple comparison photos from the stock toy, show photos I worked from and my custom. Thanks go out to The Blue Meanie for his box tutorial and Cheetimus Prime and other customs for their inspiration.

Attached Files:

3. dremel

dremel ___________

The figure and the box look excellent! My only suggestion would be to color the inside of the card black.

4. konrathink

konrathink Jared Magnus

Agreed with the black inside. That would really make the nice paint job pop.

5. Demonss

Demonss Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    wow gorgeous!
    I wouldn't mind owning this!

6. leobreaker1977

leobreaker1977 Well-Known Member

this is awesome man! the custom is boss and then the window box! rediculous! Is that the tray from the original packaging?

7. project9

project9 White n' Nerdy

Yeah, I was thinking on how or what to put behind there but didn't know how much of a difference it would make. maybe I can put something under the tray or something.

Yup. I measured out the dimensions and scanned some of the RiD and FE packages. I don't know an easy way to create another type of tray (like foam/styrofoam) to hold him and might as use what it comes with. The plastic window came from elsewhere, as all deluxe packages have odd shapes or textures/designs.

8. Cheetimus Prime

Cheetimus Prime Lost Spark

VERY nice! You even added the extra details to the knives that I'd been meaning to do.
    Super slick!

I'll be honest though... I never understood why people prefer lightpiped eyes :) 

9. prime326

prime326 Autobot Leader

News Credits:
    Awesome

10. project9

project9 White n' Nerdy

Thanks, Cheets, I appreciate you noticing it. I was going off the box art for that. I also added the white stripes on the front fenders, which I'm not sure if you tried adding on your customs yet.

You probably haven't gone through your inbox to see my PM asking if you had any spare trays. =)

11. Cheetimus Prime

Cheetimus Prime Lost Spark

Crap, I did but it's hard keeping track of things in the inbox.
    Email me if you still need them, I have a bunch.

12. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    SOOO Pretty!

But you should paint his eyes.

13. project9

project9 White n' Nerdy

I was thinking that originally, since the TFP toys have nice detail on them that's lost in the lightpiping, but lost sight of it along the way. (hah! pun.) I might try it later on but, knowing my luck, he'd turn out bug-eyed or something.

14. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
  15. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I'm really digging that box. The custom is nice, of course :) 

16. cnomis

cnomis Well-Known Member

i luv ur paint & luv ur box much much more.

17. project9

project9 White n' Nerdy

Made another pass at the box. I added the blue/black cloud background I created for the front of the box to the inside. I also overlapped the seams this time. So now there's no little white line but it is still noticeable. Not bad for the second time I've ever created a box. Next time, I'll have to try something other than 8x11 paper. Maybe 8x14 or 11x17.

Attached Files:

18. seali_me

seali_me Well-Known Member

Awesome job. Love it.

19. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My Ratchet looks pale and feeble next to this. Very excellent work!! Stuff like this makes me want to head out and buy some paint.

20. Wars

Wars Regular At Swerve's™

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    Tumblr:
    I think the box is my favourite part of this whole project. It just looks so cool!