Transformers Prime Hot Shot

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Sol Fury, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Click here for the full gallery!

Last but not least, here is a review for the remold in Prime Deluxe Wave 3, Hot Shot. Hot Shot is a remold of Mainline / RiD Bumblebee, a toy I passed on so this is my first experience with the mold.

[​IMG]
    Transformers Prime Hot Shot Car Mode

Hot Shot is a very nice shade of blue - I can't emphasise that enough. He has a lovely shiny look to him that really looks great. The blue is broken up with some flame deco which goes quite nicely with the whole look of the toy and contrasts really well with the blue.

In car mode, Hot Shot has opening doors, with panels on his arms remaining in place to create a lip below the door, just like on a real car. A nice touch. In this mode, you can also mount Hot Shot's double guns on his engine, another cool little feature since the original Armada Hot Shot toy could do the same thing.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Transformers Prime Hot Shot Robot Mode

Hot Shot in robot mode is a take on the classic Prowl / Bluestreak robot mode, with doors behind the shoulders like wings, wheels on the shoulders themselves, and the rear of the car forming the robot's boots. In fairness this is not the best mode take I have seen on this concept, but it is a fun one all the same, and I have to give some props to the automorph which transforms the entire front end of the car when you unfold the arms. Unfortunately because of this system other areas suffer a little - the shoulders feel like they should push back a bit further, and the head never manages to fold out and sit flush with the body - I always have to push it down that last little bit.

Robot mode has decent poseability, and the big feet really help balancing a lot of different poses. There's no waist articulation again, which is a pity, and the shoulders can tend to catch when raising them more than 90 degrees.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Transformers Prime Hot Shot Head

The head is a newly remolded part for this mold and works extremely well - it is a definite Armada Hot Shot homage, though it feels like it should belong to an "older, wiser" Hot Shot, rather than the cocky young rookie from the profile. Like the Armada Hot Shot, you've got a flip down visor, unlike the original where it gave Hot Shot a head like a racing car driver this time out the goggles look like full on thermal imaging goggles or something on that level.

The weapons are the same as Bumblebee's, a pair of blasters which can be mounted on the forearms, handheld or combined into a single gun. When I saw the first pictures showing the guns handheld I must admit I was sort of thinking "that looks silly, those are arm cannons", but I won myself over when I remembered that Armada Hot Shot held his engine gun as a handgun in the cartoon - and this new take on Hot Shot recreates that idea. I'm not sure if that was a happy coincidence or intentional on Hasbro's part.

Overall, Transformers Prime Hot Shot is an excellent reuse of the Bumblebee mold. The toy itself is not flawless, but it does what any good remold should do and gives the toy a new identity separate from the original character. I really like what Hasbro has done in creating a new take on Hot Shot in time for the 10th anniversary of Transformers Armada - and I wonder how long it will be before we get this in yellow as a part of a Botcon boxed set (with Ratchet redone as Armada Red Alert, naturally)...

For more pictures click here - Transformers Prime Deluxe Hot Shot Gallery

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  2. Dinodigger97

Dinodigger97 germinates within you.

News Credits:
    Yep. This dude has one of the greatest heads from the RID Toyline.:) 

3. TCJJ

TCJJ 125% Tank Engine

News Credits:
    Oh great, he sounds like Animated Bumblebee.... And I liked Animated Bumblebee, but Hotshot's bio makes me cringe.

4. AngryChad

AngryChad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Really love that head, but without any accompanying fiction I think I'll wait for a sale, if at all.

5. Wars

Wars I ate the WHOLE plate

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    He looks pretty good. I'll be getting him.

6. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    He's definitely next on my list. Him or the Voyagers.

7. tigerhawk16

tigerhawk16 Transmetal

Ebay:
    its a pretty cool figure, I might get it and I saw a tip on how to fix the head sticking up issue you remove the last two teeth on the track and it works fine then.

8. Tytus

Tytus Well-Known Member

Sounds like he's pretty shiny-- I wonder if he's Takara-level glossy shiny, like Windcharger is. If so he's a buy for me.

9. ex dtw2003

ex dtw2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If he drops stateside soon, I'll grab him for my sons birthday as he want a blue car autobot. (Loves blue, wants a good guy and likes cars - guess I got lucky with this repaints, lol.)

10. Kaijumaster

Kaijumaster 335

News Credits:
    Well that is pretty phenominal.

I wish more repaint/remolds could pull off the ability to seperate themselves from thier predecesor so completely, And the autobot sure could use some blue in thier lineup. Instant purchase.

11. PowermasterJazz

PowermasterJazz Well-Known Member

IMO this makes up for no Animated Hot Shot. :) 

Will pick one up!

12. Ironhide4

Ironhide4 Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    did you do the head mod on him man?

13. theestampede

theestampede Wandering Artist

News Credits:
    I'm thinking Animated 'bee needs some references with future remolds.

We got Hot Shot with this one, a regular tfp head, and the black repaint seems to have a movieish head; so now we need a repaint with a head like animated 'bee's head and another that looks g1ish.

I never really thought I'd bee begging for more bumblebee, but if they did that I'd buy them no question.

14. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Word...damn..when they get a repaint right...they nail it. Looks awesome, and a.real nice.write up!

15. dwong1207

dwong1207 Well-Known Member

That head just looks bad, and the goggles make it worse. Looks like something that crawled out of the ocean.

16. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Wow, the blue is beautiful and I love the cheeky looking head. Since I don't plan on getting Bumblebee (have 2 FE moulds), I'll definitely go for this guy. Great review Sol, I'm sold :D 

17. Slipstreamer 8

Slipstreamer 8 Well-Known Member

just pre ordered mine, can't wait !!!

18. BlueAngel_Bolt

BlueAngel_Bolt I'M REALLY FEELING IT

News Credits:
    This mold works way better as Hot Shot than Bumblebee.

Now watch them redeco the FE mold as this guy as some sort of overseas exclusive. :lol 

19. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Meh. I'll get him when he's on sale or something.

20. alfred p. sloan

alfred p. sloan Well-Known Member

I'll pick him up as my version of the PRiD BB mold.

He looks nice.