Transformers Prime First Editions question

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by TheosPrime, Mar 26, 2012.

1. TheosPrime

TheosPrime Complete Amateur

Ebay:
    I have been looking at getting some Prime toys. As such, I have been doing some reasearch on the first edition line of toys. Now, I know that they're pretty expensive and some of them (Optimus and Starscream) seem like FANTASTIC toys. However, I am wondering if I should bite the bullet and get the First Editions, or just wait untill the RID counterparts come out? I've gone back and forth several times. Now, I know what you might be thinking, "This is a no brainer! Just go out and get the RID versions at your local Wal Mart." It's not that easy for me. I live in China, and our Wal-Marts do not carry Transformers. So, I have to do all of my shopping online. What do you guys think?

2. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Try to get the first editions for Optimus Prime, Bulkhead, and Starscream. For everyone else their RiD versions are good enough.

3. J2DK

J2DK Fan

It's all up to you, really. Whenever someone makes a thread like this, it is ultimately your decision because what we say might not apply to you.

It's up to you. Watch some reviews of both toys and compare your budget. Maybe you can mix and match. For example, I don't have FE Optimus or FE Vehicon, but I have all the other First Edition toys. I ended up getting all of the TFP mainline so far, too, so I can say that I like both Arcee versions equally, but like the TFP weapons more. I still dislike both TFP Bumblebee and Cliffjumper when compared to their FE counterparts.

Again, do some research and check your budget!

4. TheosPrime

Ebay:
    Thanks!
    I have done some research. I am still pretty new to the collecting side of the fandom. I guess my ultimate question is: is there a big gap of quailty and such from the FE to RiD? I know, for example, there is a HUGE gap between sentai mechs and power rangers megazords (hence the price.) Didn;t know if it was the same here...

5. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    Depending on your love of the line/character, in almost all cases thus far I would go first edition depending on the price. Check taobao if you havent already, unfortunately I cant get it to open with my browser settings, but the prices on there for a lot of items seem pretty reasonable in China. I would definately get Optimus and Bulkhead 1st Edition.

6. DBarricade

DBarricade General Nutcase

Not really a big gap in terms of quality as far as the toys' structures are concerned, as Wheeljack and Soundwave are really good figures. But the difference in aesthetics is very apparent. First Edition toys usually look nicer, whereas the mainline stuff focus on a single gimmick at each of the price points - Revealer head reveal for Deluxe, Powerizer light up converting weapons for Voyager. Cyberverse has translucent weapons that can be pegged together for added fun and are compatible with the various playsets from DOTM and the new upcoming sets for Prime. The Commanders have an additional gimmick of having translucent plastic in their torsos to work with light up gimmicks in the future playsets.

But it's up to you on what you think looks good vs. what you feel comfortable paying for what should never be forgotten as toys made for kids. Keep in mind, however, that First Edition toys currently aren't getting any cheaper to get, and several of the mainline versions of characters that received First Edition toys compare...not so favorably most of the time. Still, that's no reason to not buy the mainline versions later if you can afford it. Nothing wrong with owning more than one version of a given character in a given series.

7. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    First edition for all of them are better except for Vehicon. Arcee is an "on the fence" thing, so go with which is easier to get. Obviously go with RID Megatron and Ratchet. That's what I have and I have no regrets.

8. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I would say get FE when ever you can. Short of Arcee and (theoretically) the Vehicon, the PRID molds are no where near as good. PRID isn't bad just not as fantastic as FE.

9. NCStarscream

NCStarscream Me Grimlock cute

News Credits:
    I'm not trying to get the FE ones I don't already have because of cost issues. From what I have, I can tell you:

I honestly like PRID Arcee better than the FE one (I have them both). I try to buy every version of Starscream I can, so it makes no difference to me which one ends up being "better" (I have and adore the FE one). I really like PRID Optimus and have found that the absurdly oversized gun Arcee comes with works as a great replacement for his rather odd Powerizer rifle. Also, his sword may be inaccurate but it's still cool and is made of sturdy plastic, which is better than what can be said for a lot of TFs' weapons.

10. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    This!

11. Cyclonus79

Cyclonus79 Decepticon General

Ebay:
    +1

12. VE Telus

VE Telus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    First Edition all the way. Here's why:

1) FE Optimus Prime doesn't have a cape or blue forearms.
    2) FE Bumblebee doesn't have an automorph that warps the whole figure.
    3) FE Cliffjumper's windshield IS the same windshield in robot mode.
    4) FE Starscream because he's already an awesome mold.
    5) FE Arcee doesn't have humongous bat wings, or a gun she's never been seen using.
    6) FE Bulkhead because he's only going to go up in price.
    7) FE Vehicon because you might not get another chance to buy it.
    8) FE Megatron because you need a deluxe sized Megatron to go along with FE dlx Optimus Prime (SDCC or Entertainment Pack).

To sum up, you CAN'T go wrong with FE.

13. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    To offer a small counterpoint to the above, PRID Cliffjumper isn't a pain in the ass to transform, and his vehicle mode actually holds together well...

Most of the other things I'd agree with, but Cliffjumper's rather a lateral move. He sacrifices his show-accurate weapons and non-cheaty transformation for a far more stable figure as a whole, with better personality and more posing options.

14. TheosPrime

Ebay:
    Thanks for all of the advice every. Also, do you use their Chinese or English names?

15. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    FE all the way, the mainline figures lack paint and detail

16. seali_me

seali_me Well-Known Member

Which can colour in yourself.

TFP RID Prime is not that bad either once painted. The backpack cape thing is not as bad once painted black. The shoulders and chest area, I find, is more accurate.

TFP RID Arcee is more accurate in bot mode size. Rather than the FE one which stands as the tallest deluxe.

Other than that, I'd go FE.

17. Backpack

Backpack G1 forever.

FE's definatly.

VE Telus makes good points, but the real reason to get the deluxe Megatron is because he is such an awsome figure. Even if he is out of scale, he's far superior to the voyger in every way save size. When possible get the Takara FE's.

18. ex dtw2003

ex dtw2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well, there are only so many FE's in the first place.

Prime: A lateral move. RID = Non-cheaty chest but cape; weird arm colors that in 5 seconds can be fixed with a red sharpie, crap weapon. FE = also nice, chest cheats, high cost.
    Starscream: FE is an excellent mold but possible scale issues with dlx fig.
    Bee: Both have issues, though FE Bee is THE cheapest of teh FEs.
    Cliffy: As above, RiD is mad poseable, just as nice alt mode, tons of personality and easier and more satifying transformation. FE has non cheat chest and non-hollow limbs.
    Megs: I would just skip the FE, dlx is just way out of scale and the RiD Voyager does a great job with teh design.
    Arcee: Tough call, I hate the Waspinator look of RiD Arcee, but the FE is really out of scale with everyone else.
    Bulkhead: If you can, go FE.
    Vehicon: FE isn't that great supposedly and is also crazy expensive.

Summary: Grab Bulkhead if at all possible. Prime and Arcee are toss-ups IMHO. Starscream depending on your opinion on scale (alt vs. bot). Cliff is dependent on whether yuo care about play value or non-cheating transformations. (I really like RiD Cliffy to mess with). Bee is a non-win either way but go FE since he's so cheap. Skip FE Megs and Vehicon and get RiD.

Edit: If your sole goal is in an investment then throw all the above out and get FEs as they are more likely to retain value, but just remember these are toys and not really great investments anyway.