Transformers Prime First Edition Comparison

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Snaptrap, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Snaptrap

Snaptrap Field Commander

Our friends at Ages Three and Up have uploaded some comparison pictures of Hasbro and Takara Tomy’s Transformers Prime First Edition figures. Since those of you in the United States will have to buy these online, I thought it might be useful in helping you decide which one to go after. The differences in these pictures seem to be more obvious in vehicular mode, and some are subtle, such as Hasbro Starscream’s dark grey being replaced with black for Takara Tomy.

P.S. Ages Three and Up still has Takara Tomy Arcee, Bumblebee, and Starscream in stock.

Arcee

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bulkhead

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bumblebee

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cliffjumper

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Megatron (Deluxe)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Optimus Prime

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Starscream

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Vehicon (Japanese Exclusive)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  2. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks. This makes it easier for me then going back to their website everytime I want to look. I hope someone does a FE vs RID when they start showing up.

3. Snaptrap

Snaptrap Field Commander

Oh, I imagine they'd like you going back to their web site often. It's nice having a handy reference guide, but I'd like to ensure that credit for it goes where it's due.

4. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    For those of you who got "stuck" with the Takara Cliffjumper, I think you may have gotten the better version. That thing pops in car mode.

5. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    Hey Snaptrap, great of you to make this thread. Makes it easier for all of us when we need to compare :D 

That said, man, Takara Prime and Bulkhead look much better than the Hasbro ones. Gonna be tough to get em!

6. Snaptrap

Snaptrap Field Commander

Stuck? Is there a problem with the Takara version, or is it a cost issue? I only recently decided to get involved with the Prime toyline and I'm trying to catch up.

Thanks, though the real thanks goes to Ages 3 and Up for taking the pictures in the first place. Personally, I think the Takara ones are better for every character except maybe Deluxe Megatron. Though, even with that, I'm waiting for a Voyager sized one.

7. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    No, that is why my stuck is in "" from all the people angry about them not coming to the US. Even though it is more expensive (if we had gotten one at retail), atleast those who have to go through BBTS or some other store for the Takara version are getting a paintjob that looks better for their money (atleast IMO).

8. Ribieconvoy

Ribieconvoy It's pronounced "ribby"

News Credits:
    I absolutely love the shade of yellow used for Bumblebee. I might pick the Takara version up for a cheap price.

9. Snaptrap

Snaptrap Field Commander

If it weren't for all the DOTM shelfwaremrs, First Edition wouldn't have been cancelled in the United States.

10. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    Glad I got Hasbro's Megatron and Takara's Bulkhead! Everything else is comprable to me, just as long as they're FE over RID with the exception of the Vehicon. I'm good!

I guarantee there's no truth to this statement whatsoever. That's really reaching. It's called First Edition for a reason. It didn't get cancelled, it just had crappy distribution.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  11. Dinobots Rule

Dinobots Rule Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    thank you for making this. ive been wondering what the difference were and was tired of searching around trying to find different reviews.

12. harrismonkey

harrismonkey Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Let me just say I got Takara's FE CJ. I've been looking at the photos for a while and no photo I've seen has come close to doing this thing justice. It's much nicer than the pictures convey. It's a beautiful shade of red and very shiny.

13. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Thank you for the nice comparison pics (and thanks Star Saber for linking to this thread :) )
    Arcee and Cliffjumpers difference is fairly evident here. I might have to cinsider picking these guys up as well.

14. Dinobot747

Dinobot747 Chopperface

News Credits:
    Wow. That Vehicon looks way better than previous pictures made him look. Not as good-looking as the RiD version, but much better than I originally thought.

15. wildfly

wildfly Right notes. Wrong order.

News Credits:
    I'm not sure either company has really managed to get any of them exactly right in terms of colors?

So i just bought whichever one i personally prefer more.

16. SolidSnake2017

SolidSnake2017 Well-Known Member

I feel like the First Edition were more like prototypes as their level of quality couldn't be maintained at the price point they wanted. The RiD toys are just the scaled down versions that are profitable, for better or worse. You can really tell with some like Megatron it was just an issue of reducing paint.