Transformers Prime Episodes 1 and 2 - Darkness Rising Parts 1 and 2 Discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by Sol Fury, Nov 26, 2010.

1. GeraldKeefer

GeraldKeefer Gabba Gabba Hey!

I know this is 88 pages long but just chiming in a few thoughts.

I was disappointed for the most part. The interactions between Megatron (love Welker!) and Starscream were the high point for me. Enjoyed hearing Cullen saying his classic roll out line in cartoon form again. Other then that...eh.

Not what I was hoping for but I always wish success to any Transformers endeavors even if they're not my cup of tea.

2. cuad

cuad VOK EMISSARY

News Credits:
    lmao i just watched part 1. It was awful.

Part 2 was better, mainly because of Frank Welker... The guy is incredible.

And holy shit the shit between the douchebag and RC perverted as hell.

3. OptimusSolo

OptimusSolo Tournament Master

News Credits:
    You were judging this show before it ever even aired so your opinions are meaningless!!

4. optimusprime42

optimusprime42 Autobot Leader

News Credits:
    railspike if you don't like it don't watch it

5. Rodimus

Rodimus The Prime Producer

After watching 3 and 4 several thoughts came to mind about this show. First off, Prime looks TERRIBLE without his face guard. Why are all the Decepticons generic and the rest the same color? Megatron looks cool with EXCEPTION to his face, that shriveled nose and spiked teeth look is hideous. Why are all the other Decepticon nothing more than sharp points on a stick? And then there's Starscream...

I love Charles Adler but that voice does not fit for Starscream at all. It is way to deep and gravely for that character, and Starscream has never been that much of a servant to Megatron. (That goes on the writing.) Speaking of faces, I think all of them could use a nose or some more detail in the face instead of looking like just a big blank piece of silver jellow. And why do they show pupils in Robots eyes?

Now for positive thoughts, while I hate the designs/appearence they did to some aspects of the Transformers (and I can't stand the pre-school like style of the 3D humans), I think the flow of the animation is absolutely amazing. It moves so crisp and flows so naturally. The action scenes were great and there are so many cool angles that are done.

The voice work of coarse was great. But they still need to make Bumblebee and Soundwave actually talk because they aren't very good characters without being able to speak. On the writing front, I can see that they are making extra effort to highlight the fact that this is a war. They are really showing the effects of war and it's translating very well into the series. There's no bones about it. War is violence and strife, and this is the consequences. They've shown that in this series to this point very well so far.

It's tough to get past some of the hideous looks of the characters (and why they would choose to make them look like that is baffling) but if you can it should be an enjoyable series. I just don't like how the Decepticons are all generic sticks that look like ninja shurikens or how the good guy characters all look like old Charlie Brown figures you'd get in a old preschool lego set. Good acting and I like the story so far though.

6. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No need to get past here, love Jose Lopez designs here.

7. optimusprime42

News Credits:

not charles adler

8. Rodimus

Rodimus The Prime Producer

So I've been corrected many times already. ;) 

9. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Steve Blum, the guy who (apparently) is the new voice of Wolverine, is the talent behind Starscream in Transformers: Prime.

10. janeDoe001

janeDoe001 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm kinda warming up to Steve Blum's Starscream.

jD001

11. DrGrim

DrGrim OBEY

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Steve Blum = Spike in Cowboy Bebop.

12. artiepants

artiepants Just over here punching Unicron.

News Credits:
    yeah, i actually thought it was fantastic, a real standout in the cast along with Tambor and Cullen (whos never sounded better IMHO) ~ i love who it's deep and gravelly (Starscream may be a punk and a bit of a coward, but he's also supposed to be incredibly powerful and a legitimate threat) yet he still gets a great hint of the Latta Screamer voice in there without being overly whiney.

13. artiepants

artiepants Just over here punching Unicron.

News Credits:
    While i disagree and really like the bots (minus Bulkhead and too a lesser extent Arcee whos just a little too spikey IMHO) i totally agree on the 'Cons ~ since we first saw Starscream i've wondered how that design made it past a Round 1 creative meeting, much less into the final show.

14. Xenomrph

Xenomrph Mr. Fix-it

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    So the first 2 episodes of Prime are up on the Hub website, I just got done watching them.

There's stuff I like, and stuff I don't like.

What I like:
    - Arcee is the best character
    - Optimus looks great (with one caveat), Peter Cullen is still the man
    - Jeffrey Combs owns as Ratchet
    - the directing for the action is pretty great. It's dynamic without being all shakey-cam and I think it looks great
    - Frank Welker as Megatron again is pretty cool

What I don't like:
    - Bulkhead's robot mode is lame, especially when compared to his vehicle mode. He's like an SUV and then he suddenly jumps in size and it looks ridiculous. I don't know how they'll manage it with his toy without it being ******ed.
    - Bumblebee's "no talking" gimmick is really old
    - only 3 Decepticons (so far) is stupid
    - Prime's face without a faceplate is godawful
    - I don't understand how Steve Blum keeps getting work, he has no range whatsoever as a voice actor and hearing his voice in damn near everything is ******ed. He voiced 2 characters in War For Cybertron, neither of which were Starscream
    - Hasbro trying to shoehorn this in with War For Cybertron is extra-dumb. Every character (except for Optimus I guess) got a total visual overhaul between WfC and Prime and the disconnect is really huge. Bumblebee's whole head looks radically different - in the game he was very G1, in the show he's very live-action-movie. Not to mention other continuity issues, like Megatron and Starscream not being sure what dark energon will do or if interacting with it is fatal, despite Megatron doing exactly that in the first level of the video game. Hasbro would have done better by saying WfC was a G1 retelling and not affiliated with Prime at all.

What I'm not sure on yet:
    - the kids. They're not 100% annoying, but they're not great. But I've only seen 2 episodes so I guess it could go either way with time.
    - the art style. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, but a lot of the character designs and character faces look really same-ey and I'm not sure I like it. Arcee, Starscream, the Eradicon drones, and (to an extent) Bumblebee all look really spindly. For Arcee it makes sense; for everyone else, not so much.

I don't dislike it and I'm certainly going to watch the other episodes as I can, but it's got some issues that I don't like. But hey, season 1 and all that; maybe it'll end up being really awesome as it goes along.

15. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't understand how anyone can think that man has no range.

The fact he keeps getting jobs should be proof that he's extremely talented.

16. Xenomrph

Xenomrph Mr. Fix-it

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Probably because every voice he does sounds the same. I knew it was Steve Blum talking after Starscream said 3 words, and that's the case with every character Steve Blum voices. Sometimes it's a bit higher pitched, sometimes a bit lower, but otherwise it's always Steve Blum voicing himself. At least people like Welker, Cullen, Kaye, Latta, Burton, and others have a wide range of characters they can voice that sound drastically different.

Steve Blum probably gets work because he doesn't cost much, because if you want "generic semi-gravelly voice" you call Steve Blum.

James Patterson cranks out like a thousand books a year, it doesn't mean what he writes has literary merit.

17. Karhukjnsi

Karhukjnsi Universal Wrestler

News Credits:
    I don't disagree with any of this. Seriously, has Blum at ALL sounded legit different?

18. prfctcellrulz

prfctcellrulz Emperor Of Destruction

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    (Moved to seperate topic)

19. OptimusSolo

OptimusSolo Tournament Master

News Credits:
    This doesnt belong in this thread

20. optimusprime42

News Credits:
    no ROTF Twins, Skids and Mudflap (VAs: Tom Kenny and Reno Wilson)

brad garrett as a con don't see it happening
    as for the rest some ok some not ok