Transformers Prime Episodes 1 and 2 - Darkness Rising Parts 1 and 2 Discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers Earthspark and Cartoon Discussion' started by Sol Fury, Nov 26, 2010.

1. Sprocket

Sprocket Problematic.

News Credits:
    It's not a song. More a transparent synth sound-alike of Steve Jablonsky's 'Arrival to Earth'.

Wake me when Tyler tries something a little more original.

2. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

So a murderous giant with a gun the size of a building and mechinical T-Rex that likes violence is "family friendly?"

I know you are being sarcastic too, but I had to point it out..lol

3. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Devastator's not murderous, he's a comical bad guy who says 'smash!' instead of talking the good wordses. I can't recall an instance when he used that gun to any truely devastating effect. Plus, the sense of scale is more often than not completely lost on G1, especially in that picture. Grimlock isn't violent. He knock around cartoon bad guys with no sense of visceral damage or actual harm. Again, just a 'me smash' comic dumb-dumb. G1 is about as family-friendly as they come with being the Go-bots. (the Hasbro Playskool ones)

4. Infosaur

Infosaur Ancient Cybertronian

Couple of things I noticed after re-watching:
    (FINALLY on TV instead of my laptop! Damn Thanksgiving guests were hogging my TV!)

1.) The Autobots are non-manufacturer based vehicles, copyright and whatnot, but the generic cars in the background are VERY model acurate. I might have fun spotting all the REAL cars in the show. Honda Civic, Lincoln Town Car, Ford Crown Vic, Nissan Pathfinder (might be a Toyota 4 Runner though) I think I might have spotted a Mazda RX-8, but it might have been the Civic again, (it was half-hidden)

2.) The Autobots don't use their weapons much, could this be an issue of power consuption? The fight in the gully between Arcee and the drones, Bumblebee leaps in but there's no reason why he couldn't shoot.

3.) Same scene, why didn't Arcee get under cover (where Rafe was sitting)? did she WANT the cons to see her?

3a.) And yet the Cons COMPLETELY miss her when she turns into the burger joint? Circle the block and then lock onto her from a block away?

4.) "This ends here,,, Cons" her lips aren't very synched at all here.

5.) "when outta nowhere these high BEEMS,,," "the local POE-lice do their thing" I think THE Rock is empha-SIZE-ing the wrong syl-ABLE.

5. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke Flynn Lives

3a, they are just drones man, probably not the brightest of chaps..

5, PO-lice it's just a popular slang pronunciation.

6. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Hells yeah.

7. Tarngold

Tarngold Knight of Braves

News Credits:
    I came, i saw, i TOTALLY GEEKED OUT!!!!!!

Robot designs
    just take a look at the influences and stylistic choices for the end product, Animated style, worked into Movie style taking influences from the original regarding color and size. There does appear to be a bit of size changing tech going there as well, for example check RC when she turns from bike to robot in the alley before Miko peeks around the corner. The style is constantly evolving and taking shape, and im definitely loving the end product.

Animation
    Rewatching i did notice a bit of problem with lip synching, kinda bugs me. animation definitely reminds me style wise of the WFC game, wonder if they use the same engine for it. Also brings back memories of Beast wars, ahh those were the days. Love the style of animation overall, the kids are well done and could very well fit into a Pixar movie. The flow of action is very well executed.

Voice Acting
    OMGOMGOMGOMG, this voice acting is TOPS! Thank you Jeffery Combs for doing Ratchet, you made this character legendary with your voice and i will buy an action figure of him because of your wonderful voice, Thank you Peter Cullen for the same, Thank you for coming back Mr. Welker , thank you Mr. Richardson for a more grown up Bulkhead, thank you, THANK YOU!!!!

8. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Just watched episodes 1 & 2 and i have to agree that the voice acting is top notch. I have to say that i have high hopes for this series now.

9. Beastbot X

Beastbot X Old skool. In a lot of ways.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Was really busy on Black Friday and didn't get to watch it, my thoughts if anyone cares at this point:

Characters:
    -Optimus Prime: No surprises here.
    -Bumblebee: Slight disappointment. I don't like how he just beeps like a Minicon instead of at least using "radio clips" to say stuff. And having one of the kids understand him-- no matter how tech-oriented he is-- makes no sense. Otherwise he's okay.
    -Bulkhead: Disappointment so far. I hope they allude more to his "soft side" mentioned on the Hub's website. Right now he's just the big tough guy. Boooring. I also think Fagerbakke (sp?) was a better voice for the character.
    -Arcee: A bit cliche, but still a fairly solid character. Neither elated nor disappointed.
    -Ratchet: Fantastic. Like Animated Ratchet, but without the old and with the off-handed sarcasm cranked up to 11. Almost all of his lines in Episode 2 were gems. Definitely my favorite character of the series so far.
    -Cliffjumper: The Rock can not voice act. That ruined the character for me, not one of his lines sounded believable to me, they all sounded "phoned in". Biggest character disappointment of the series so far. So it's good he's probably dead.
    -Megatron: Again, no surprises here.
    -Starscream: See Megatron & Prime.
    -Soundwave: Third-favorite character so far, despite him not having any real lines. Making his face a literal soundwave was ingenious, and makes him a little creepy too given how silent he is. Thumbs up.
    -Eradicons: I love that they can individually talk, and their design is cool. Of course, they probably won't get individual character development.
    -Jack Darby: Decent enough, a believable human character with believable reactions and the "everyman" character. Neither elated nor disappointed.
    -Miko: Seriously? Ugh. I cringed at every one of her lines. Her reactions are not believable in the LEAST-- there's no surprise, no initial fear at seeing Transformers. That might have been passable if she was a little girl like Sari, but she's what, 14? 15? Granted, it's only been two episodes, she's certainly got time to develop, but outside of the Armada kids she's right now holding the title Most Annoying TF Human Sidekick Ever. If anyone's going to be a black spot on this series, it's going to be her.
    -Third kid (forget his name): Good, a silent, shy type. We need more of those in TFs. Don't like his inexplicable ability to understand Bumblebee, but other than that I don't mind him. Not crazy about him, but don't mind him.
    -Agent Fowler: Second-favorite character in the series so far. Love his no-nonsense attitude, and how he's apparently come to regard the Autobots as nothing more than big humans. Really liked his brief appearance.

Overall, the series has potential. I give the first episode a 6/10, kinda predictable, though of course it had to set up the whole mythos. Second episode really amped it up, I give that a 8.5/10. Action is really awesome, the highlight of the series overall so far, along with Ratchet's interactions/dialogue. Right now I'm excited about the potential, but it needs to go more in the direction of the 2nd episode and less in the direction of the first. Like some of the darker stuff, and really interested in what they'll do with Dark Energon. Already has a fair amount of quotables as well, which is promising for the dialogue (outside of Miko... *shudder*). I'm cautiously optimistic, but as of this point I'm not "OMG OMG OMG!" about the series. Of course, pretty much every TF series has taken a while to really get things going-- at this point in Animated I had a bit more negative opinion of that series compared to Prime, and look how THAT turned out-- but as of now, that's where I stand on it.

10. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hhmmm, nope, it's different alright. Good to see it instead of another shrill boy-ish voice singing ROBOTS IN DISGUIIISE.

11. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

what's with all the dislike for miko? I loved her lines, made me laugh everytime :lol 

12. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    2.) Did you concider that the Autobots only use their firearms as a last resort? They only used them when they're outnumbered or backed against the wall, hence why Cliffjumper tried to fight a group of drones head on but had to fall back on his guns when it wasn't working.

3.) They already knew where she was and there were now 2 humans involved. Do you really think she'd go undercover and leave Jack and Raff to die?

3a.) Well, they're drones. They aren't as bright.

4.) Looked fine to me. I've seen worse lip synching.

5.) It's not over-emphasizing, he added some southern pronounciation to Cliff's character. It's a common alternate way to say it.

13. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think the "loose" lip syncing is done on purpose, so that when the show is ported to other countries, it fits with most languages. I've seen cartoons do this to make it "almost" fit whatever language they are speaking.

I don't mind Miko, but of all three humans, she is the closest resemblence to the types of humans I didn't like in the past (the Armada kids). Hyperactive (which I thought Raph was going to be and I am glad he's not), disrespectful (not considering that Cliffjumper was not with them, because she was more excited about their battle), and inconsiderate (when Prime is explaining about the bloodshed of their past). It's as if an old man was telling you about his experience during World War II and you turn to him and sighed and said, "Is there going to be a quiz?" She is not nearly as bad as previous humans, because I have a feeling these writers have a better feel for what is just bloody annoying and what isn't, and she will change over time (like Sari), but I found her just a nipple annoying, but nowhere near deal-breaking. Jack is pretty much like a reluctant Spike, and I like his place in this show, and Raph is my favorite.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
  14. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't really see the problem with Miko. Sure she is pretty out of her depth but she barely did enough in those episodes. Plus she got a pretty good voice for the role, much better than if she was crazy AND high pitched.

15. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, exactly. I have a 99% certainty, that things are going to happen in the show that will reveal more about her character. Even the girl from Armada (forgot her name) took on a completely different role with her relationship with Starscream.

16. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    She's also not afraid to talk shit to them either, "Watch it Ratchet." I do like that.

17. Flashdisk

Flashdisk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like this line too. :) 

18. Sprocket

Sprocket Problematic.

News Credits:
    It's hard not to be amused at Miko's blatantly Indonesian accent for a character that's supposed to be a Japanese immigrant. You live in New York, you see a lot of Indonesians. (Fun fact: they just got Cybertron and still haven't gotten the movies. So your average Indonesian kid wants Prime to have a super mode.)

Not holdin' it against Tania, but it's hard to ignore when you know it's there.

19. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    New Episode tomorrow. Just thought everyone should know :D 

20. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke Flynn Lives

I am looking forward to it! not Eagerly Anticipating like Tron, but defiantly looking forward to it!