Transformers Prime Deluxe Knock Out

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Sol Fury, Apr 8, 2012.

1. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Peace through Tyranny!!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I can acutally see that very well. I picture a G1 style black head, And some appropriate colors on the KO mold, and that could actually work fantastic

Word. Its just not right, Probably CANT be made like the show

2. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Brony

News Credits:
    Now that Wave 3 has started showing up in Portland, Oregon, I missed out on one at a Target and settled for Knock Out. I said when we first saw Knock out that I wasn't interested, and that he looked like crap, but I still went ahead and got him. Anyways, here's what I think.

I'll start by saying that I feel that the CGI model is impossible to do in toy form. There's so much deformation of the vehicle that the entire thing would have to be cheated to perform. I've kept that in mind when really coming to a conclusion on this figure.

The Good
    Knock Out has a surprising amount of complexity for the rather simplistic deluxe RID line so far. I was pleasantly surprised, and truth be told he doesn't look quite as horrible as I thought at first once you realize that you're supposed to put the fenders over his shoulders like his big collar look. I really like the colors and the mix of them, but his rims could definitely be painted, and he's got great articulation as well. Finally...for what they had to work with...Knock Out isn't really all that bad.

The wheels not being pinned in is a blessing in disguise. If you've got some basic painting skills like me, then you can pop off the wheels and get a good paint job on the rims.

The Bad
    For how good his articulation is, there are two notable knocks on it that make it not as good. The head and neck is designed in such a way that it doesn't have a lot of real articulation there. The door windshields bump into his shoulders and help limit some of that articulation in that area. Like with FE and RID Arcee, Knock Out's headsculpt looks really...derpy and not really fitting for the character. I imagine it's also difficult to really translate the CGI heads into a good looking toy, but still feel that the expression on Knock Out's face could've been better at least.

The weapon is also...blah. On one hand it looks like his drill, but the other end is just useless. This also ties in with the holes on the side of the car for the weapon...ugly ugly ugly. I just wished that the weapon was designed better...one with his saw, and the other the drill, and the arms designed in a way where you could plug in the weapons to be his hand weapons.

The Ugly
    Now...normally I'm OK with small toys...I love the Perfect Effect stuff and I don't mind paying those prices for them...but DAMN this is a small deluxe. Normally this wouldn't bother me, but since the rest of the figure is average at best, the size is ultimately a knock against it. He should be in scale with Bumblebee, but I think even RID Bumblebee is bigger than Knock Out. I feel he could've been bigger, and he should have.

My Conclusion
    Knock Out isn't as bad as I thought he was. However, he isn't a stellar figure. Average at best. He isn't such a bad figure where I regret getting him, but I feel that I would not have missed out on anything had I not gotten him.

3. MaxGoof

MaxGoof Preordained Soul

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

Today I've got the last of the Wave 3 Deluxe Transformers Prime toys--Knock Out!

[I can't post the full version of this review here without Google flagging me for duplicate content, but you can access the prettied-up version of this review on my daily toy review blog with the full photo gallery by clicking right here.]

Pros:

• Knock Out is a 100% all-new mold.
    • Head sculpt is full of personality--you can feel the scheming vibes radiating off of Knock Out.
    • Sports Car mode sculpt looks fairly accurate to what we see in the show.
    • Very little back kibble--it's really just his wheels that get in the way.
    • Energy Spear fits well into Knock Out's hands (either), and can be split into two weapons that look like a spiked club and a sai. He's the first Decepticon deluxe that can dual-wield to fight Wheeljack or Ratchet!
    • Energy Spear can be stuck on Knock Out's side in car mode for an "attack mode". It's sort of like a jousting car, and I can see this working well with Knock Out's character.
    • Excellent quality control, the same as the other Wave 3 Deluxes. No problems with paint consistency, joint tightness, etc.

[​IMG]

Cons:
    • Color scheme on Knock Out is pretty much hideous. The maroon and bright red plastic just do not look good together, and the gradient on the side of the car is atrocious. For the most vain Decepticon, it's unfortunate he's also the ugliest.
    • Hasbro cheaped-out and cut paint deco from the final toy. The Energy Spear is missing its "energy" so it just looks like a pitchfork, the spikes on his shoulders are totally unpainted, and so forth. It's disappointing that paint deco was left off a toy that already didn't look very good.
    • The instructions for this figure are long and confusing, and the worst part is that they don't even go all the way! You need to figure out how to complete Knock Out's robot mode chest on your own, because the instructions just stop.

[​IMG]

Overall: Knock Out is by far (by far) the character I like the best in this assortment. Unfortunately, he's also (by far) the weakest toy in it. His paint just looks bad all-around, and I hate that Hasbro is cutting paint apps when deluxes are at their highest price-point ever. The sculpt is pretty decent in both modes, but the awful paint makes it look bad anyway. I like the head sculpt and jousting mode of the car, and the Energy Spear is a cool weapon, but this is overall a completely average Transformers Prime deluxe. After the pure gold that the Vehicon and Hot Shot were, I'm more than a little let down that Knock Out is so mediocre. I'm sure I'll buy Knock Out again when Hasbro releases a better version, but I wish they'd put a little more effort (and money) into this one.

GRADE: C+

[​IMG]

4. GAUGE

GAUGE No Time Fo JibbaJabba

News Credits:
    Knockout disagrees with all the hate.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Have you actually tried to count the number of paint apps on him?

Because he's got just as many paint apps as anything.

You only say that because he needs more than is typically allotted to actually look accurate.

6. Shark Jumper

Shark Jumper さあ、お前の罪を数えろ

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ironically the paint on mine has scratches...

7. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    If you're talking about on the sides, it's actually supposed to be that way.

It's not actually scratches, but the way the silver "streaks" along the sides.

If it's something else, though, then yeah, irony :p .

8. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

Well, up to page 3 now (well, my page 3, I changed my posts per page to max), and the opinion on this guy seems to pretty much fill the spectrum from "Hell no" to "Meh, he looks OK, I think I'll get him" to "He looks pretty good!" to "Shut up and take my money meme." Not too often you see that broad of a general opinion.

I don't like it because it's not very show accurate, and Knockout has one of my favorite character models on the show. But as a toy on its own? Looks pretty good. Show accuracy hasn't been a serious strong point lately. Generally speaking of the movie line, of course - though there were some that were pretty accurate. Animated was pretty awesome for accuracy (which was amazing, btw)... Cybertron was my favorite line... it was like the toys were made, then animated.

Still, I grew up with G1. I can deal with show-inaccurate toys.

9. Shark Jumper

Shark Jumper さあ、お前の罪を数えろ

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    the dark red on the side of his hood.

10. Nefud

Nefud Well-Known Member

So your defense is that they failed to rise to the occasion? Why not leave that stupid weapon out and give him some gold rims?

11. Primal Sabbath

Primal Sabbath Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Because the weapon compliments his playability, where throwing that out and giving him gold rims, he and ratchet could play House together. I'm happier with his "Shock & Drop" staff than I am with what would end up as burnt yellow rims.

12. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    Parts budget ain't the same as paint budget.

13. Nefud

Nefud Well-Known Member

Prove it.

14. ex dtw2003

ex dtw2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    While I think the "prove it" response it pretty silly, I do agree that it's the overall figure BoM that is what counts at teh end of the day.

15. mx-01 archon

News Credits:

Really?

We already know that he paint budget is as separate entity, determined as a maximum number of applications given to the initial WAVE of toys.

The tooling budget is treated separately, with the size class determining the maximum mass and parts count.

It makes no sense to tie the budgets together, especially in the case of redecoes. They're not going to cripple the physical toy for the sake of a few spots of paint.

Especially when these are kids toys, and not some high-end collectible that deserves some sort of deluxe treatment. Don't be absurd.

16. Nefud

Nefud Well-Known Member

I want you to cite credible sources/documentation. There's been a lot of talk about Hasbro's budgeting on the forums lately, and you come into a lot of threads spewing a lot of "facts" with nothing to back them up, and it's pretty annoying. So maybe just this once, explain how you know any of this?

17. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    Hasbro's specifically stated at BotCon that their paint budgets are allotted by wave.

There's also simply the fact that it doesn't make any damned sense to do it your way. The molds are designed with reuse in mind, so it doesn't follow to tie its budget in to any one specific character image.

Let it go man. Stop acting like Hasbro owes you something, or whatever. They're not in the business to earn your approval. They're here to earn money by selling toys to kids. Pretend that you know better them or whatever, but constantly citing Transformers as their major growth property for their quarterly investor's reports probably means they're doing a pretty good job of selling what people want.

18. Nefud

Nefud Well-Known Member

So you're refusing to provide a source for all that "information" you posted last page then, got it.

19. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    It's not my job to do your research for you.

I can just as easily apply the same tactic with you. Where's the proof that you know better?

Check previous years' BotCon transcripts, TFWiki, somewhere, you'll find it.

20. Nefud

Nefud Well-Known Member

You're the one making the specific assertions, mister lazybones, that puts the burden of proof on you!

edit: Here, I'll show you what I'm talking about, this well-established source (http://www.trans-lex.org/966000), states "The burden of proof rests on the party who advances a proposition affirmatively ("actori incumbit onus probandi")."