Heavy/Scratch: Transformers Prime Arcee Mod

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Death Wing, Oct 8, 2012.

1. Death Wing

Death Wing Member

Hello to All.
    It has been about 4 years since my last contribution of figure modifications to any post. I have recently had some time on my hands, so decided to fill some of that time doing another figure Modification. This is of “Arcee” from “Transformers Prime”.

7. No Website Advertising
    Any posts or threads to promote a website or store, Transformers related or not, will be removed. You may place a link in your signature. The more you contribute to threads, the more exposure your site will get.

I like the figure (minus a few things). She was in need of an upgrade (personal opinion). Hope you like what I have done. Done in similar fashion as my previous works. (When I look at her from the rear I think “Wapinator”).

Enjoy.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2012
  2. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Could you discuss which modifications you've done? Your work looks good, and I hope you post more of your work here. Thanks for sharing! :thumb 

3. Death Wing

Death Wing Member

Thanks for taking a look at my work Superquad7. You do have me at a loss with "7. No Website Advertising". Is that because I had a link to another website that contain images of the figures I recreated in their "before" state, or is it that the site I am hosted with has those annoying useless dead links hiding behind my background image. Please tell me which. Every single Mod I have done and what I have done to them and how I did it are in the links I provided with the original posting. At least you liked my work.

4. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Yes and yes. Also, in the future, contact a member of Staff using the Private Messaging function in the future.

If you wish to post content, post the content here instead of linking elsewhere. Hosting photos using a photo hosting site is fine. Linking to content elsewhere is not. Again, if you have any questions, send a pm. :) 

5. warhawk

warhawk Well-Known Member

I like how the robot mode looks, but how did you accomplish it? Is is a partsformer? Looks great, much more streamlined from behind.

6. cheetor71

cheetor71 Autobot

I would also like to know how you did this mod. I think the figure looks good.

7. Death Wing

Death Wing Member

warhawk and cheetor71. Thank you for your comments. In answer to both your comments, She is not a parts former (I never do those, no challenge and parts can be misplaced). I created new parts.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2012
  8. closetrat

closetrat Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This is awesome - the idea to move the front tire to the calves via articulated arms is brilliant!

Aside from the handlebar mount - are all the new parts metal?

9. Death Wing

Death Wing Member

All the new parts are plastic, and the casts (not much) are just araldite. The only new metal parts are the new pins Holding all joints into place) and the two screws holding the front wheels into the front suspension.
    I am glad you think that Arcee is awesome.

10. Carpool

Carpool Well-Known Member

I just read. Good job man. Im actually not bothered by the "backpack" as much as the stupid "wings". Im still thinking of something to do with them. Anyhoo. Just thought to say great job man!

11. ZeltraxMilleniu

ZeltraxMilleniu Active Member

Very nice.

I might do this to my Arcee when I eventually find the bloody thing.

12. Death Wing

Death Wing Member

Thanks Carpool. I was Watching the T.V. (When I signed in tonight (12.D/10.M/12.Y) when an idea popped into my noggin. I see more cons than pros with the idea. One con still being the fact that the bottom wing is still bigger than the top one. One pro is that the cut off piece would fold along the new ridge giving it a less bulky appearance (from the side. Top and rear view, no idea yet). Then there is the appearance in motorcycle mode. There are more pros and cons floating around in my noggin, but until I take a look at the figure itself, the answers will be uncertain. May not even happen. Pic loaded at beginning of post, Kept Disappearing from here.
    Thanks ZeltraxMilleniu. Hope you do find your Arcee.

13. Kouri

Kouri kupo

Ebay:
    I would recommend copying the write-up from your website into this thread. I just took a peek, and it looks like whatever site builder you used poorly formatted the text, making it impossible to read anything after the first paragraph.

14. takarei

takarei auto bot wanderer

u did somthing not sure what tho. if you go for a waspenator custom you easly just swap the head new paint and u got a prime waspenator. it could work

15. Death Wing

Death Wing Member

Sorry to that you are having trouble Kouri. This is the first I have heard of it. No one else seems to be reporting this problem (may be not yet). What web browser are you using. And of course I will believe the screen size is at 100 percent. You seem to be referring to Arcee_Main_TXT.html. Are the images behind the Arcee_Main_TXT.html text the problem. Is it because the text is white. The text is MS Sans Serif and looks no different to MS Sans Serif in word. The HTMLs were created in "Web Page Maker 3.01" I will transfer the info from the above Webpage and hope it is the one you are referring to.
    takarei, you pretty much said what I was sort of thinking LoL (refer to beginning of the post "Waspinator"). She has new parts. This may add to the effect you are properly getting such as I did.

16. Death Wing

Death Wing Member

ARCEE MAIN TEXT (for those how are having trouble reading "Arcee_Main_TXT.html"

I had Arcee for two days before I took her apart and cut her up. First thing I started on was the wind shield. The front wheel was left aside. I wanted to get the windshield as close to her back as I could. I even tried placing it upside down but at the hip it stuck out more than near the shoulders. After a long while of staring at Arcee's back and wind shield I came up with a solution that would work (designed on cardboard first), keeping in mind that the distance between the two mounting holes remained the same as the original (of course I used a ruler for this). Click on "MODIFIED/NEW PARTS" to see what I am talking about.
    Next were the handle bars. To leave them as they were, mounted to the new mounting bar connecting the motorcycle to the windshield , left the back pack not being able to fold close to back , due to the handlebars pointing outwards (restrictive as before). Next attempt was to have the handle bars fold under the windshield. I cut the bottom mount off the handlebars then cut them down the middle. I trimmed the corner of the bottom inside of the windshield for the handlebars to stick out. I made new mounts for the handlebars. They were altered several times (straight, Turning, Elbow), even shaved some of the windshield mounting bar (for cross bar) to try to place the wind shield closer to her back. Not working the way I wanted it. In the end I came up with my final solution, (see "MODIFIED/NEW PARTS") getting the windshield close to her back and having the handlebars fold out of the way. The only minus to this solution is the handle bars are visible in Robot Mode. Arcee came together and apart several times during the phase (fitting and testing).
    Next thing was to spit the front wheel in half (they were glued together). I then cut the cross bar of the front suspension mount in the centre glued and screwed cut off piece into the opposite side of the front suspension. I also cut of the top part that allowed the front suspension to pivot. The inside of the suspensions were hollow so I filled it with araldite (for the nail/pin, later). This was step one for getting the front wheels to meet the back wheels in Robot Mode. Next was to make the mount and place them onto the legs. This was step two. The design of the mount (an elbow/pivot joint) which can be viewed in "MODIFIED/NEW PARTS". I had to modify the inside of the lower legs, trimming where the feet join to the legs for the flat bar to sit into. Also trimming the part where the knee guards clip into the legs. No need for the clip as the knee guards are glued into place and the heat from the little chisel fused them to the legs. On the inside of the outer part of the leg I made this part thicker for the pins (more area to grip to) and that area flat/level for the bar/mount to line up to the foot groove. Again see "MODIFIED/NEW PARTS". Also see the Robot Mode Pictures. I drilled holes into the front wheel mount centred above the each suspension then screwed the wheels to the mounts. The wheels were now ready to be fitted to the bar/mount (step three). View "MODIFIED/NEW PARTS" and "Transformation Sequence".
    Next Phase of my project is to cut off the rear of the Chassis. (When I unscrewed Arcee's and took the chassis/body apart I had to be careful as the rear was glued together). Now that the rear was separated I cut some of the bottom off and removed all of the inside. I now had a hollow shell. The screw hole was now an open hole. I closed the hole by plastic welding (heated scapple) a cut off piece into place. Shaped the out side to suit with araldite, cut and sanded to suit. I created a mould for the inside of this shell, also created a mould to fit into the other end of the chassis. I made the 1mm thick elbow, sawed the cuts into the moulds. Drilled the holes for the pin, fixed one end of the elbow to the shell mould and glued it into the shell gluing the shell together at the same time, (see "MODIFIED/NEW PARTS"). The other mould fits neatly into the upper body.
    The arms and hands are the second last items I needed to change (wanted to). I filled the gaps in the arms with araldite. The hands were removed and I cut and filed the wrists at an angle for greater movement (This was more for the transformation where the hands fold under and behind the hips). To do this I cut the ball joint off both hands and created new ones with slip elbow joints. I cut (hacksaw as well) a section out of both hands, drilled holes for the pins and fixed it into place (see "MODIFIED/NEW PARTS"). This was done so the wrists would go where I wanted. They fit in nicely as well.
    I cut a small piece of the wings/chassis off (I think this piece was more for strengthening this piece for when it is pulled open. I could be wrong.) Now when I pull this open I just do it from the bottom of the chassis (top wing). It is closer to the shape of the CG Motorcycle Mode. The top wing looks closer as well. (See "TV SHOW PICs"). To compare it to original follow the link provided on Arcee' home page. As for bottom wing, I couldn't think of any thing to do it that would work (turned the wings upside down in Photoshop so the big piece would be on top, no good, in my opinion, looked silly), so she just has to have the big bottom wing.
    I actually thought about having to fold inwards for robot mode. The difficulty for me was that the plastic is more rigid, how neat would it look after cutting and if did manage to cut how would I be able to pin it being that small.
    For the loose knee joint, first method I tried was to hammer the pins in to make the joint tighter. This did not work. Second method, I packed the joints with araldite, working the joint around (I covered the outside of the legs with masking tape as this was a messy job for it to work do to the set up of the joints and that my first attempt did not work) and getting rid of the excess when it was dry enough (I read this solution somewhere, don't remember where, but I give thanks to whoever he/she might be). The joints are not so loose, thus she is able to stand. See Her Pics.

I did my best with the painting. Some pieces I used masking tape before painting and other pieces I painted freehand (next time I will tape everything). I did not paint the blue of the chassis/body as I was not prepared to (Did not want to mess it up). I did paint the windshield (as I could not match the previous paint job) so that I could paint up the sides where the mirrors join (also more accurate) also painting the mirrors themselves. I also painted the part where the screw entry once was (I used a label tab for hole punched paper so the paint job was circular and neat). I painted the Odometer and speedometer. I tried to match the lightest blue from the picture (see "TV SHOW PICs"). I also painted her hands, tail lights, Shoulders, Chest area, Gas Tank cap, Exhaust, stirrups and the front suspension close to the colours from the "TV SHOW PICs". Where ever I saw pink in the pictures of Arcee, I did my best to do the same to my figure.
    I repainted the seat + the backside rest a lighter colour just so it did not look black in Robot Mode (considering the fact her back is a light metalic colour). I did not paint the headlights. I could not picture them painted, so I used masking tape and coloured that. To me it looked like the headlights were staring out at an angle, so I scraped that idea. I also did not paint the gas tank or the rear of the chassis as in the colours of the Motorcycle Mode. I left it blue for the Robot Mode. Out of curiosity I did Photoshop three views to see what Arcee would have looked like if I did paint these areas (also provided on Arcee's main page).

This is my first Transformers Prime Figure Modification. There may be more. I will just have to wait and see.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All cuts were done with a heated scalpel, small cheap flathead screwdriver with sharpened tip for chiselling (heated with butane Burning torch. Easier and neater to cut). Also regular builder's knife and hacksaw. Bench Grinding wheel for major shaping. A drill chuck for Hand drilling with 1mm and 1.5mm drill bits. Sandpaper very fine. Small files, smallest 3mm x 3mm (square). Araldite was used for fixing and casting new pieces (for casting, maintains flexibility when casting resin doesn't). Parts constructed form sheet plastic 3mm thick and plastic rods (hollow and solid) The thinnest rod being 1mm thick after cutting one 5mm sq plastic piping in half an sanding. 1mm and 1.5mm nails cut to size and tips hammered so the new pins would stay in position. Brand of paints vary. They include Tamiya - Acrylic Colour, Revell - Colour Enamel, Model Master - Colour Enamel and Humbrol - Colour Enamel.

17. Death Wing

Death Wing Member

the Above may contain a few spelling mistakes that I have missed.
    "(see "MODIFIED/NEW PARTS")" and others like it are references to the pages on my web site.
    This was written as I seemed to be unable to edit the above.