Transformers Prime a pleasant surprise

Discussion in 'Transformers Earthspark and Cartoon Discussion' started by MegaPaultron, Jan 1, 2011.

1. MegaPaultron

MegaPaultron Well-Known Member

Hey all

Watched the first part of Transformers Prime the other night. I found it a refreshing change I dont usually plump for CGI shows but I rather enjoyed it glad to see Peter Cullen rather than Garry Chalk being enlisted for the Tones of Prime and Jeffery Combs was an unexpected surprise as Ratchet even the usual one faceted Dwayne Johnson made a good Cliff Jumper.

One no not one but two questions firstly is Prime set in the Movie Verse or a seperate continuity all of its own? secondly was I mistaken in thinking I heard Frank Welker in a reprise as Megatron/Starscream?

Finally good to be posting on the boards look forward to many future Transformer chats.

2. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    No, Prime is not movieverse. It's in the same continuity family as the recent War for Cybertron game, though.

Welker plays Megatron, not Starscream.

3. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:

No, PRIME is not set in the Movieverse. However, the show's creators also created the Movieverse, so it should come to no surprise that it is loaded with movieverse elements.

As for which continuity it belongs in... well, HASBRO keeps insisting that it is WFC continuity. However, there is little to no evidence that supports their claim.

Many in the fandom accepts their claim, while many don't. And, some just don't care.

4. MegaPaultron

Cool thanks guys watching part 2 now and still very good..

Ok watched Part 2 of Darkness Rising some very different Transformers deals with some very different haste I say more mature subject matter I think I will watch this more often now has the main series started yet?

5. bellpeppers

News Credits:
    It's a good show... I'm sure you'll like it overall.

6. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    The main series starts in Feburary.

7. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

The first episodes were sort of a teaser deal. The Hub needed some big shows for the network launch so it looks like they figured a bit of Transformers Prime now was better than launching without it.

There might have also been a plan to stagger out their new shows because GI Joe Renegades has been showing new episodes. Just a guess on my part but I think season one of GI Joe Renegades will end and then season one of Transformers Prime will start.

8. GENOZAUR

GENOZAUR Banned

dman that would be so cool if over time there would actually be some corssover storylines between prime and renegades animation wise

9. MegaPaultron

From what I have read/seen GI Joe Renegades has not been rendered in the same way has it plus the idea of the GI Joe/Transformers crossover didnt really push my buttons...

I have to be honest I like Transformers more GI Joe is good but my heart lies with Transformers.

10. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I'm not sure if it would work because there is such a clash between artistic styles.

But damn it would be cool if they could do some crossover in the toy line because some of that GI Joe Renegades gear would make for some cool looking Transformers.

11. Drunk-Wheeljack

Drunk-Wheeljack MrTomo

Transformers: Human Alliance Gi Joe's anyone?

12. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Tranformers Prime is great, I think it's on a level of writing and animation compared to BW and BM, The only thing i dislike about prime is that the charecters like BB, Ratchet, Arcee and Bulkhead have been done and done to death, I would of liked some other charecters in the roster, however excluding BB I happen to like these charecters.

13. Paxtin

Paxtin ...

Bulkhead's been in one series previous to this one, and he's already been done to death?

14. bellpeppers

News Credits:
    Yes please.

15. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    And Arcee's barely been in anything recently, except Animated where she was a prop, and ROTF where she was a background character.

16. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    MegaPaultron, welcome to TFW2005.com! It's really neat that you found the show a pleasant surprise. I hope you continue to enjoy the show :thumb 

For a modern CG animated cartoon, I found it very refreshing. Since CG animation has become cheaper and cheaper to animate, we've been bombarded by CG animated shows and movies. I'm glad this series is already looking like it's gonna be one of the good ones :) 

17. Reeds

Reeds Q-Wing Pilot TFW2005 Supporter

Really? Refreshing?

I'm not here to troll, but after seeing the first 5 episode arc recently, I couldn't help but feel the show was so far unbelievably bland.

It was the most generic plot a TF series has ever had. The humans were so generalized and none shared a single trait. Its like they took a list of what kids might be like and just split it into three groups.

Having Cullen and Welker back is definitely great news, but why was Frank's Megatron so casual sounding? Listen to his calm voice. Not devious, maniacal, or even evil. Aside from rare moments, he sounded like any robot. Susan should've pushed for more from him.

Speaking of generics, where are the facial traits that endear us to these guys? Starscream and Soundwave could be replaced with washing machines and have the same visual impact when it comes to emotes.

Finally, I never realized how great Bay's Prime face was under that mask until this. They all look like robotic versions of The Scream come to life. The tiny round eyes with mouths on long plates devoid of detail look silly at best and lazy at worst.

Pluses, definitely big ups on voice casting. Not just Cullen and Welker, but the Dwayne Johnson's cameo and Ernie Hudson's performances.

I like that they brought back the core Animated team, but just made Prowl a chick. I think it works better. He always reminded me of Niles Crane from Fraser.

In the end, maybe they''ll eventually come up with a plot that makes the show worthwhile, but they haven't shown it yet. And being CG, its ironic that the last CG show attempt (BW) had the best writing TF has ever seen IMHO.

I have no real desire to see any more, but I know I'll eventually see the rest out of boredom some months or years down the road.

But for now, I put it barely ahead of TF: Cybertron. But when I hear "Autobots...Maximum overdrive!" I wonder if its not the same or worse.

18. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

While I think that everything that you said it's a matter of opinion.

EXCEPT, Welker's new Megatron, come on dude, the most interesting thing in the new Megatron is his casual voice, calm in his throne of power, every word sounding polite and chilling at the same time instead of the screaming pyschopath of always.

Listen to that part where he says "Gaze upon...Dark Energon" again, it's really chilling and imposing at the same time, despite the fact that...the phrase doesn't have anything.

On this fact, Soundwave doesn't HAVE a face, his face is a TV-esque screen with black and purple features: he literally has no expression.

Starscream is a case that I disagree, you could argue that Optimus seems to have no expressions, but Starscream was the character that I found most expressive of the entire show.

But, opinions are opinions, we can't change them.

19. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You talk like the whole show was just the five episodes tough.

For a premiere its already shaking in many bases that TF shows were yet to cover. Autobots getting tired of protecting human kind, their extinction as a race, Cybertron becoming a planet not just dead but infected with the very essence of Unicron, Megatron being a past comrade of Optimus and other concepts.

Some of those have appeared in comics in the past, sure, but for a TF series its a first and I can see the show going in many interesting directions from now on, this was all a set up and introduction for the show, wait for the whole 21 episode season and see how it all worked before you claim the plot is bad, this is but the start and even if that didn't impress you there's still a long way to go.

And Starscream's emotes being bad? Really? Just watching episode five you can already see a load of convincing expressions from screamer.

[​IMG]

And that's only in pics, in show its even better because of their great body language and facial movement.

20. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You talk like the whole show was just the five episodes tough.

For a premiere its already shaking in many bases that TF shows were yet to cover. Autobots getting tired of protecting human kind, their extinction as a race, Cybertron becoming a planet not just dead but infected with the very essence of Unicron, Megatron being a past comrade of Optimus and other concepts.

Some of those have appeared in comics in the past, sure, but for a TF series its a first and I can see the show going in many interesting directions from now on, this was all a set up and introduction for the show, wait for the whole 21 episode season and see how it all worked before you claim the plot is bad, this is but the start and even if that didn't impress you there's still a long way to go.

And Starscream's emotes being bad? Really? Just watching episode five you can already see a load of convincing expressions from screamer.

[​IMG]

And that's only in pics, in show its even better because of their great body language and facial movement.