Transformers: Prime – Peter Cullen To Voice Optimus Prime, No Transformers Toy Ads

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by SilverOptimus, May 17, 2010.

1. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    Gotta disagree big time on this one. Cullen's Prime voice got better with age. He now has a kind of gravitas and depth behind it.

2. Ceasar121

Ceasar121 Wants a Toxitron repaint!

News Credits:
    Yeah Welker, I can sorta agree on. There's not as much bass in his Megtron anymore, but that could just be poor soundmixing... He can still do Dr Claw, and that has way more gravel and tone than Megatron.

Cullen, on the other hand, I have no idea what you're talking about. He's even done the Prime voice in person during interviews during recent years, and it sounds the same, just a tad older. Not to mention that in the movies, he has been asked to add to the Prime voice, a lil more boom. Then I won't even get into the WFC game...

3. Paxtin

Paxtin Why am I here?

I think for a lot of us Welker will always be the iconic G1 Megatron. But the sad truth to it is that that Megatron voice no longer exists. I dont know if that's because Welker's voice has changed due to age, or what, but he just doesn't seem to have that character in him anymore.

As for Cullen, yes, his character voice seems to have changed as well; but in the case of Prime, it's only added to the majestic quality of it.
    His Prime voice feels like it really has matured for the better, while Welker's Megatron sadly just sounds like a chain smoker.

4. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    I hope they get Corey Burton as Megs or even have the guy doing it in War For Cybertron. I would love to hear Clancy Brown or Michael Ironside doing Megatron's voice

Welker can do Soundwave and the other voices he dd back in G1 or any original characters.

5. Toei

Toei Well-Known Member

How about Trailbreaker and/or Mirage?

6. Rodimus

Rodimus The Prime Producer

If not Frank Welker, I would be happy if Corey Burton or David Kaye were Megatron... or even somebody new who's extremely talented (I.E. like a Tom Kenny as Starscream) who can really capture the spirit of Frank Welker's original Megatron.

I gotta say though, I did enjoy Corey Burton's own take on Megatron. Even though it didn't sound exactly like Welker's, it was very much inspired by Welker's version and totally kept to the vibe with that sinister yet intelligent accent and was powerful/commanding. Plus he gets extra points for working with the original cast/Frank Welker/Wally Burr and being a member of the good old boys club. :D 

7. Prime82

Prime82 Optimus knows all

I just remembered that they were going to call TF1 Transformers: Prime Directive. Think thats why they called it prime? I hope with cullen signing on that the series will be somewhat serious and be realistic. Im curious to see where orci and kurtzman take it since their showrunners

8. Rodimus

Rodimus The Prime Producer

I'm not a fan of the movieverse by any means, but I do appreciate that Roberto has taken alot of time to talk with fans and get a good feel for what Transformers fans really like. So with that there is some optimism... especially since they know they're on a different medium and a younger target audience. (No need for nitpicking "But that's not the way it happens in real life11!1) I wonder who is animating their stories?

9. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    I wonder what type of Optimus Cullen will play be like.

Maybe something along the lines of Animated Ultra Magnus except a little smarter of not having his back turned away before getting shot.

10. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If Frank Welker gets to voice Megatron I'll probably turn the volume down any scene he shows up in, unless this is a comedy series, then it fits, because his voice in the ROTF game was damned hilarious.

11. Leadfoot

Leadfoot The Strongest.

What are you talking about? His voice is as powerful as ever, and now with more bass and gravel.

12. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    Prime Directive was, as I recall, just the name they were using to deflect spies. Like "Blue Harvest" for Return of the Jedi.

Cullen signing on shouldn't suggest the tone. After all, he also plays Eeyore, which, I think is probably realistically his favourite role.

13. jazz89

jazz89 i'm rockin' moon base 1.

best news ever for Transformers Prime. Peter Cullen is god!

14. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Can't wait for the new series.

15. Evil Dead

Evil Dead Well-Known Member

I think the most difficult thing to get used to in Transformers Animated, was the whole deal where Peter Cullen wasn't Optimus Prime. So, this news pretty much causes me to sit up and pay attention. Yus!

And so thank you very much NIBMRatchet, for passing such information along. ^__^

16. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    Ok when is the next licensing show or comic convention - they are always good for leaking stuff.

If Megatron does nothing but sit on a throne and menace... then it's not really that important what he does. if he's more like Beast Wars Megatron and is smart and gets involved in things then you want someone a bit flippant and good at extended dialogue.

I suppose what Decepticon minions he has also has a bearing - if they are sensible soldiers then you need a sensible Megatron a broader range of tones might be available though if there's lots of broad comedy RID Predacon style characters.

I hope they don't go to camp though - that would devalue Cullen's presence if they did.

17. janeDoe001

janeDoe001 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Y'know, this is the first thread I've looked through that has more positive things to say than negative when it comes to the new series. The power of Cullen be with you! (j/k)

I don't want to start a fight and I am looking forward to the new series but yeah ever since Cullen signed on as Prime, so many more people are less with the 'I don't think it'll be good because of '_________' and '_________' so I won't watch it.' and more with 'THIS WILL BE AWESOME' and 'I'LL BE SETTING UP MY DVR/PVR FOR THIS!'

It really baffles(sp?) me.

Good luck Peter.

jD001