Transformers presentation for my son's kindergarten class...

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Cortexitron, Mar 30, 2012.

1. Cortexitron

Cortexitron Alternate Reality Patrol

So I just got back from giving a presentation about our hobby to my son's kindergarten class. I thought I'd go in there and give them a brief history, show off a few figures, look at some pictures and be done in 15 minutes. I ended up spending about 20 talking about the figures I took, and another 15-20 transforming them all for the kids while answereing a bunch of questions. I think I had as much fun as they did. Though I will say, it's much harder to transform RotF leader Optimus with 22 pairs of eyes watching than it is when it's just me and my son...

Of course, they all knew who Optimus and Bumblebee (movie versions) were, and I was surprised to hear that most of them are watching TF Prime. They recognized Prime and Megatron right away. Anyhow, it was a fun little way to show off the toys and make my son popular for a little while. Just thought I'd share with the rest of you...

2. mrtbone81

mrtbone81 Bringer of Devastation

Ebay:
    That is AWESOME! I love it! Sounds like a lot of fun...always cool when there are little guys who appreciate the toys!

3. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    If I did something like that it'd go something like...

'This is my G1 Optimus Prime, from when I was a child. It is worth more to me than most of you combined.'
    'Get out Mr tikgnat.'

4. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Who're you calling a geek?

News Credits:
    See now if you REALLY cared about your son being popular then you would've bought a TF Prime Bumblebee for every kid in the class.:lol 

Seriously though sounds like fun.

5. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The only thing that confuses me is why you would be invited to the class for this purpose. I mean it's really cool that you got to show off your stuff and make the kids more interested in these toys I just don't understand the why.

6. Cortexitron

Because the teacher asked all the parents to stop in and talk about their job or a hobby they have. Seeing as I'm in engineering, I chose the hobby that my son and I share. Apparently I followed a Dad that talked for 20 minutes about recycling. I think they paid more attention to me...:D 

7. Cortexitron

You know, there are totally enouh BBs around here to get one for each kid... I never thought of that. Instead, I gave each of them a coloring page, and small TF party bag wi a pencil, temp. tattoo, and some stickers.

8. wildfly

wildfly Right notes. Wrong order.

News Credits:
    'This is Masterpiece Megatron:If your parents don't buy one for Xmas, they don't love you.'

9. seekerblackout

seekerblackout Banned

Did they recognize any other characters?

10. EightiesKid

EightiesKid G1 archivist TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    That rocks man! I sometimes go to speak to schools for career days and stuff, but it would be awesome to do a presentation on Transformers. Talk about a passion project! I'd probably focus on G1, though I'm not sure if a lot of kids would have the appreciation for the originals. Maybe I'd do a quick trivia test, with a TF prize for the winner, too.

Great to see you sharing the love with your kid, and with the new generations!

11. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Who're you calling a geek?

News Credits:
    Next time.:wink: 

12. EightiesKid

EightiesKid G1 archivist TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ha, this could also be a great scene out of a Will Ferrell movie with John C Reilly, out of Stepbrothers or Talledega Nights.

"Kids, today I'm gonna talk to you about the greatest thing ever invented, you like to call em Transformers. Me, I like to refer to em as little pieces of heaven. (shows off MP-10) That's right kids, look at it and weep, cuz there ain't no way your parents are gonna buy you this, unless they're just ridiculously loaded, in which case send em my way cuz I have a couple of business ventures they'd be interested in.

Transformers are great for all kinds of things, you can make all your friends really jealous of you, you can use them to impress the girls (kind of), and you can also help save the world when the real Decepticons eventually invade. My history started with Christmas day 1985, when my parents didn't get me that G1 Optimus that I wanted. I've been completely messed up since then and have wandered the world aimlessly until I got this piece of greatness right here (MP-10). Any questions?"

13. Wolfdawg

Wolfdawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's pretty awesome. I'm a 2nd/3rd/4th grade teacher myself and that's actually a very interesting way to incorporate your love for the hobby into an informative classroom presentation! Kudos to you.

My students know that I'm a pretty big fan. Usually, for teacher's appreciation week, I'll get a few legends class figures.

14. Wars

Wars Regular At Swerve's™

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    Tumblr:
    That's really awesome dude! :D 

15. Stygian360

Stygian360 Well-Known Member

I get a charge out of hearing this, as I'm glad kindergarten age children are taking to Prime... rather than just we adults. Means the next generation will have great memories of these toys and characters as they mature and eventually get married, have kids of their own.

Anyway... I'm curious why you are surprised that young kids know about and watch Prime? For all intents and purposes... isn't Prime aimed at the younger market? Granted, there's also the Robot Heroes cartoon (I think that's what it's called), but that may skew a little young even for the kindergarten crowd. So, shouldn't Prime be right in their wheelhouse? Perhaps rather than surprised you meant elated? Because that's what I'd be! "You know Prime?? Cool... let's geek out over Airachnid, Breakdown, Knockout, et al.!!"

16. Cortexitron

No, not really. Though they did know G1 Optimus. I had brought a couple Arcee figures and that huge Cheetor from my daughters collection, and I'm sure they wouldn't have known them. I also brought G1 Grimlock as well as Animated Grimlock to show how the figures have changed over the years.

17. Leather Elbows

Leather Elbows Dooper

News Credits:
    Your signature makes me sick lol

18. Cortexitron

I guess I'm not sure why I was surprised. Seeing as my 5 year old is fluent in transformers, maybe I didn't expect the other kids to be. But most of the boys knew what Prime was. Even a couple of the girls too. It's also only available on digital cable here, any not everyone has it. I wasn't sure who had access to it.

19. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    that's awesome, probably made the kids day