transformers play-by-post rpg

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by thundrwaveprime, Jan 1, 2009.

1. thundrwaveprime

thundrwaveprime the witch king

it would let you make characters with tech specs and bios, each thread would be a different location with different foes, you could interact with other players. in order for this to work, we need a RPG forum.

2. NemesisBruticus

NemesisBruticus Banned

???

3. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I would suggest seeking out a different website / forum that already has an RPG in place as I think there are a few of them around.

4. Sound Blaster

Sound Blaster Shattered Glass World

Yea........................:wtf: 

5. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Wouldn't an old-school MUSH pretty much make something like that obsolete? Do people even still play text-based MU* games?

zmog

6. Zherbus

Zherbus In Shogo Hasui, we trust.

News Credits:
    I do from time to time. I also miss being likely to be eaten by a grue.

7. SMOG

I remember circa 1994, Transformers-themed MU* games were in full flourish... my screen name here is actually an artifact of my time Mushing (Smog was my fan-made Decepticon alter-ego). I'd say that summer of Mushing is pretty much to blame for my inner TF geek resurfacing after years of remission. :) 

On the one hand, it's pretty oldschool and primitive by today's standards... but in the absence of a good TF MMORPG, what other option do would-be TF roleplayers have?

zmog

8. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    For using, For knowing what a grue is, you win.
    WIN.

:cool: 

9. IACON

IACON "That's Vector Sigma?" TFW2005 Supporter

Ok... but one question though:

Why ?!?

10. thundrwaveprime

thundrwaveprime the witch king

what is a mush?

11. SMOG

It's a more advanced form of a MUD (Multi-User Dungeon)... which is an early text-based roleplaying environment online. MUD's were more basic "you walk into a room, and there's a Goblin in front of a chest. If you want to attack, press 'A' " sort of thing, while MUSHes had more options for social interaction and user customization... usually roleplaying was emphasized over nonstop combat and self-advancement.

It needs to be hosted somewhere, and usually has administrators, rules, etc... basically it's a very basic, primitive form of graphics-less MMORPG. Free of course. I think you just needed a lightweight MUSH client program to connect.

There were a number of MUSHES active in the early 90's, for various properties... fantasy worlds, superheroes, Shadowrun, Transformers... there were a handful of popular TF MUSHes, which were my first encounter with the larger TF fandom. I'm sure there are at least a few of those old MUSH jockeys who post on this forum.

It probably also coincided with a time when a lot of fans of my generation were rediscovering their childhood toy nostalgia, though it was before the current geek-chic where such things are so freely confessed in public settings. It's the internet... don't ask, don't tell...! :) 

Most of the TF MUSHes were G1 based, though some were the post-movie outer space setting, while others were set in 1984 Earth. There was a fledgling BW MUSH, but I don't know how well it did.

Usually you could apply to play a pre-existing character, though the application process was more stringent for the more important characters... hence characters like Prime, Megatron, Starscream, etc... were usually reserved for admins and their cohorts... or paraplegic shut-ins who never left their keyboard, presumably. :) 

Another option was to submit an application for a fan-made character. If the admins judged that your fan character was cool enough, original enough, or balanced enough, you got approved. Some MUSHes were more lenient than others. Smog was my fan-made character on the "TF2" MUSH. He was the only character I ever played, but I kept him active for a couple of years.

zmog