Transformers PG-13 animated DTVs ... could it happen?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Wolf Boy, Jun 20, 2007.

1. Wolf Boy

Wolf Boy Ghost of Impactor

Marvel started this trend with "Ultimate Avengers", followed by "Ulitmate Avengers 2" and "The Invincible Iron Man" (all of which were rated PG-13 for intense violence and mild swearing).

Now DC is jumping on the bandwagon with "Superman: Doomsday" (also PG-13), set for release in September, with a DTV versions of "The New Frontier", "Teen Titans: The Judas Contract" (based on the comic book Teen Titans, not the cartoon), and possibly even "Dark Knight Returns."

So I was wondering ... think Hasbro might make something like this for Transformers? It would have a higher budget and less censorship (like the original movie) and could even be in G-1 style or even continuity! Think it could happen? American companies are hesitant to make an teen/adult animated television series, but the DTV market seems to be very successful so far.

Could it happen?

2. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't see a reason why they should make it PG-13. Justice League & the first TF movie are PG material and those were great for adults. It would be lame to force in some swearing to get a PG-13 rating. Just because it is PG-13 doesn't mean it is better. They could probably get away with more violence and get the lesser rating because they are robots.

3. Wolf Boy

"Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker" DTV had no swearing whatsoever and much less violence than TF .... and it got rated PG-13. Ratings are stricter now than they were in the 80s. "Transformers: The Movie" would DEFINITELY be PG-13 if it came out today.

4. grimlockams prime

grimlockams prime Check you feet

if thay still had ultra magnus torn apart it would be much harser than that

5. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

I never like the rule out the possibly of it happening, but unless there is a toyline behind the movie/show then I don't see Hasbro using the resources to create such a thing no matter how popular it would be with their older fanbase.

6. Wolf Boy

Maybe but if Marvel and DC did it, maybe IDW will want to get in on that action. If IDW is behind it, they might even have Simon Furman write it. That would ROCK.

7. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    I think fans would love a War With in or Alt direct to Dvd movie.

8. grimlockams prime

grimlockams prime Check you feet

that would rock

9. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Marvel and DC are own my huge corporations that can afford to waste money on those little side projects. IDW is a small independent company, and they cannot certainly afford to invest in a project of that magnitude. Hasbro is the only one who would have the resources to produce a DTV production. IDW producing a DTV movie is even more of a pipedream than Hasbro producing one.

10. Wolf Boy

True. But it would be an IDW/Hasbro joint effort.

11. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I don't see it as impossible, but rather unlikely.

12. Op_Prime

Op_Prime One With The Matrix TFW2005 Supporter

According to a few recent reports, it would seem that Hasbro is banking on the TF movie to help it transcend merely being a toy company to an entertainment mongul and adopt a more multi-faceted approach to their existing premier properties.

If this is so, it is conceivable they might want to try and emulate Marvel and DC's approach to DTV animation, after all Transformers as a property is well established enough to risk it. They do acknowledge us, the older fans, and know we are a sizeable force to be reckoned with. And they have taken some risk by shipping out some lines that were meant to cater to the older fan, for example the alternators and the Masterpieces, perhaps to test to water, see how strong the existing fanbase is.

They can't ignore the potential of the older fan market. As I mentioned in another thread, the 2008 animated series looks to be aiming at younger fans. If that's true, Hasbro might try other avenues to appease the older fans, going for a two-sided approach, one aspect of the TF property to attract newer younger viewers, and another to appeal to the older fan. Like what they have now, they might want to have one mainstream line and a side "collector's " line, but it is unlikely they would want to run two different TF television shows concurrently. But then, DTV sounds like a good way to expand the fiction of the "collector's line" without too much clashing with the other line. After all, the older fans do seem to have alot of money to part with. If other properties with established fanbases can do it (heck even Robotech which has a smaller fanbase put out the Shadow Chronicles thing only for DVD) surely TF fans would also be willing to pay for a DTV-based Transformer series (I know I will) It is a big opputunity for them to cash in.

13. Wolf Boy

My thoughts exactly! Which is why I have bought all 3 Marvel DTVs at full price and plan to buy the DC ones as well -- to help show the companies that they are a good idea.

Although I think a Takara-sponsored Jap anime DTV might be more likely, since Takara has given us manga for the older market.

14. DrGrim

DrGrim OBEY

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think a Transformers Classics animated feature would be awesome, so long as the animation was good and didn't look like that crap from Cartoon Network.

15. Muck

Muck Active Member

I would love more "mature" animated series to be made, especially one about Transformers. It's just too bad that animation is little more than a kids' franchise in the States (can't comment about anywhere else).

It's difficult to get into any of the current animated series on today as an adult now. I know, the shows back in the day weren't great, but my memories of them as a child say otherwise.

I'd also like some animation that isn't a CG movie, flash, anime, or looks like a 2-year-old drew it. How I do miss the glory days of the 90's Spider-Man and X-Men cartoons.

16. Wolf Boy

Strangely enough, the Marvel DTVs get a lot of hate from people saying they don't have enough character development and cannot compare to the comics. I think that's crap, but everyone has their own opinion.

DTVs like the Marvel and DC releases prove that American companies DO take their adult markets seriously, they're just afraid to invest too much money in a project with potentially low payoffs.

The Marvel DTVs lack a little in the character department, sure. But they've got a hell of a lot for only 70 minutes. This isn't "Gone with the Wind" or "Dr. Zhivago" where you have 3-4 hours to tell a story. There's only so much that can be squeezed into 70 minutes.

But if enough poeple buy the DTVs ... a whole series could come next.

17. Soundwave84

Soundwave84 Banned

News Credits:
    dude they just need to take the War Within plot and turn it into either a series or a movie because that stuff is amazing Simon rocks my face off

18. Wolf Boy