Transformers: Outside the Box

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by WhiteMocha, Oct 16, 2010.

1. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

As with any passionate fandom, it seems we hear so much fan opinion about what a character SHOULD be: "Character A should always have Feature B, and turn into alt mode C.... if he doesn't, it's not Character A!!!"

It gets a little exhausting. So instead of holding the rich Transformers character library to such rigid standards, let's broaden our minds and go in the opposite direction: what are some great NEW interpretations of these characters? What are the most unexpected, out-of-the-box re-creations of your favorite characters? Ideally, there should still be some thread of logic connecting the character to past incarnations, but aside from that the more creative the better. If the logic as to why this would be a great re-invention of the character isn't clear, feel free to add an explanation.

For example...

Ironhide: I think he would be great as a Wells Fargo armored car. They're red, and it would fit well with his name.

Unicron: instead of a planet, go smaller-scale (relatively speaking) and make his alt mode a Large Hadron Collider. He would still have a ring, and instead of literally eating planets he would create small black holes that would consume them one by one.

The Seacons: give them vehicle modes of earth seacraft. Seawing as a pontoon plane, Nautilator as a submarine, Snaptrap as an amphibious assault vehicle, Overbite as a destroyer, etc. Ditch the humanoid robot modes and have them go straight from vehicles to sea monsters. The humanoid aspect would only show up when they merge into Piranacon... who could have a trident and merman-style fish tail like Triton.

So, there you have it. Always thought Razorclaw would make a great lawnmower? Wondered if Rumble and Frenzy could work as bathroom scales? Have a crazy new idea for what Perceptor should look like? Get it out there! The more inspired, wacky and creative, the better. Let's stop for a moment dwelling on what these characters should be and think about what they could be.

2. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Predacons Razorclaw and Rampage as ...CRABS!
    Prowl as ... an owl, no wait, a lion, no, an owl.
    Inferno as a giant fire ant
    Bonecrusher as ... I dunno, a buffalo or something.

And... what? - oh, never mind.

3. Spiderus Prime

Spiderus Prime TFW Spongebob since 2007

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Grimlock:A Car Carrier
    Optimus:A Super Heavy Armor Truck
    Megatron:A Very old Tank
    Starscream: F-35 (Don't remember the plane's nickname)

4. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Here's a better idea: why not just dump the recycled names and embrace originality altogether?

5. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

:bowdown: 

6. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

Well, sure, I'm all for that. Brand new characters are great, and I'm glad the franchise has continued to add them (with new characters being introduced into the mythos with each reboot). And people come up with clever fan characters, the art section is full of them.

I guess I was just reacting to the continual assertions that new versions are "wrong" for certain characters, and wanting to see some ideas that are sort of the opposite of that: new interpretations of the franchise that re-think existing elements in a creative way.

7. Karhukjnsi

Karhukjnsi Universal Wrestler

News Credits:
    I think Rumble and Frenzy would be awesome as weapons, like a hammer and sickle.

8. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    If only Hasbro and Tomy Takara would follow that advice. New factions and characters would be great to see again. The G1 factions and names really need a break again.

9. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Names yes, it's always nice to see some new additions to the mythology. Factions, I don't know, not so much. I personally like Autobots and Decepticons, though I'd not say no to sub-groups returning such as Decepticon Stunticons or Decepticon Mayhem Squad.

Though if we're talking outside the box variations on existing characters, I'd love to see an Optimus Prime / Rodimus Prime combiner. Like Rodimus and Optimus both have super modes made from their trailers, but Optimus can combine with both at once to form an even more super mode.

Honestly, I'm surprised that never happened, Super Link / Energon was a huge missed opportunity to pull that off.

10. thespaniard

thespaniard Well-Known Member

The others are fine. I don't care about what iron hide Is and the seacons would be cool as sea vehicles but unicron is a transformers legend I can't see him as anything but a planet or at least a moon

11. Rigas

Rigas Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Inferno as a lighter or a fire extinguisher.
    SOundwave as an oscillascope.
    New teams of Seekers that aren't jets. like have Seeker cars (Shattered Glass of Alternernity) or Boats or something.

12. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    and they'd be commie spies?

[​IMG]

lol.

i want to leave the O.G.'s O.G. and have awesome originals.

I don't want Fan-gasm creations like "Drift", but i want fascinating characters.
    like, does anyone remember the G1 characters that were more hippie, lazy, laid back, "give peace a chance" and all that? Like Beachcomber and Seaspray were?

i want to see more of conflicted characters or even bad guys who aren't exactly all gung ho for Megatron's scheme.

and let their alt modes reflect that.
    like have an autobot that looks like a Jet Ski who does anything BUT fight.
    have a decepticon that is bad-ass, but won't fight because he's just lazy or doesn't care. he could have for an alt mode something like this:
    [​IMG]

13. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

I've been trying to push the idea that Robotmasters Wingstun is the G1 incarnation of Waspinator. I just thought that Device Label Tigatron was essentially BW Tigatron retrofitted into G1 continuity and liked the idea. Since he's a mold twin of Ravage, I thought it would be cool to basically make him G1 Nightstalker, a twin of Ravage and bodyguard to the Autobot overlords from an old UK story. Incidentally, the first mention of Megatron as a gladiator. Difference being Nightstalker doesn't die. I could imagine BW Tigatron holding a bodyguard/advisor position. Might even explain why he calls the other tiger, Snowstalker. But I digress.

Waspinator/Wingstun.

1) They've shared a mold.

2) They have similar, primarily green and black colour schemes.

3) They've both served under Beast Wars Megatron.

4) The name Wingstun reminds me of 'beesting'. Wasp/Bee, ok I'm stretching but I doubt Waspinator was so called on Cybertron.

I don't know if that's too outside the box but I like it. I can totally imagine him saying, "Why Universe hate Wingstun?"

Of course I see War Within Titanium Thrust as pre-Beast Terrorsaur. Both cowardly braggarts. Similar colour scheme. Ok now I'm seeing Swoop as a former Seeker. Why not? Grimlock was a Con.

As for favourite modern interpretations of characters - Nick Roche's Prowl.

Movie Bumblebee. Hated the G1 version but love movie B. The radio thing is a nice touch though admittedly better executed in the 1st movie.

I do think that only Cullen should voice Optimus Prime and Ironhide. I'm sorry but Animated Ironhide's voice was too wimpy. WFC Ironhide wasn't bad but Cullen's Ironhide was fantastic and the only time a TF gets away with having an accent.

On the subject of Seeker type. I always liked the Watchdogs from the G1 3 parter with Arkeville. The cartypes taht pursued Wheeljack, Trailbreaker and co on Cybertron. Always thought repainted Battlechargers would be cool for them though with balljoints in the shoulders or newly remolded arms.

14. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    I don't buy into the belief that they need to reinvent the wheel every time, just 'change' for the sake of change, and having new toys to sell.

I accept change if there's an interesting logic behind it and the character is still recognisable. I feel it can be bad for the franchise when you apply too much distortion in that it alienates the general public when they don't recognise whatever few characters they were already familiar with. If you're hardcore and a little jaded with the status quo, I can understand wanting radical change, but regular people don't get that. It can be like when when DC changed Superman. To the casual fan and the general public, it just ceases to be Superman.

I have no use for nameslaps(the only real justification is for retaining the rights until they can do a proper homage). I appreciate a different take on the same character, filtered through a different style or aesthetic like how they changed Optimus between G1 and Animated. They explored a different side to the same character. I also like redesigns that fit within an overall theme, like Hearts of Steel. Animated Wreck-Gar has an all-new origin and alt-mode to the original, but again, it worked because there they kept it recognisable and there was an underlying logic to it.

The real thinking outside the box should come from how they use the characters in the stories they tell.

15. bny888

bny888 バグバイト

News Credits:
    Well I've been thinking that if would be cool for Bumblebee to have a small yellow submarine as an alt mode... :) 

16. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

I think Beachcomber would make for a great Rocklord or patch of grass.

17. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    In soviet Russia toys transform you!

18. The Madness

The Madness News Credits: -13

I have to echo bellpeppers & Co's sentiment. I'm quite disheartened by the lack of courage involving the property.

While I appreciate some of the long absent familiar faces, and Hasbro's acknowledgment of old favorites such as Thunderwing and Straxus, I'm pretty tired of endless iterations of Optimus Prime and pals. Perhaps they're sporting a new haircut one year, or have exaggerated features another, it really doesn't matter. Everything tends to stagnate after a while until it requires a reset.

I appreciate the stylistic changes necessary in trying to keep a popular cast fresh, but I find more often than not, that the designs are compromised by trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. Familiarity and experimentation when mixed seem have a really fine area of equilibrium.

Some of the most notable media characters in the last few years have been truly original creations, even if they do have an obscure nameslap. This freedom seems to liberate authors and designers of whatever formula they feel compelled to adhere to (Some would say: Two parts G1, one part gundam, one part Bionicle(s), 2 parts edge.) ;P

The homogeneity of alt-modes is starting to bore me moreso. Sure, cars, planes, and tanks are popular, and you can't fault a company for playing it safe in the GEC. But I've always appreciated the product for its creativity.

To summarise, Hasbro/Tomy walks a tight rope by trying to retain trademarks and product familiarity, whilst also attempting to 'change it up' enough to keep fresh sales each year. Its a rough space to be in, sometimes they hit they're mark, and sometimes it doesn't resonate all that well with many people.

That said, I'd appreciate more Microchange/ Real Gear/ Something label sort of stuff. Not quite Swiss army knife kind of gear, but something functional, even if its a Cybertronian Soundwave LED lamp, or a working alarm clock robot, a remote control holder/ battlestation, or a phone docking station with a dinosaur alt-mode. -Grownups toys.

19. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Isn't the idea of this thread a bit of a contradiction in terms?

I mean, if we're really trying to be original and "think outside the box", why not just come up with some new characters instead of recycling all the old names?

20. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    That's what I said!