Transformers only auction site

Discussion in 'Transformers On Ebay' started by encline, Aug 11, 2009.

1. encline

encline customizer of love TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Guys, I AM TIRED of eBay and the stupid fees, and the non seller protection. I am wanting to get some feedback about this idea.

What if there was a transformers only auction site that was set up into different sections such as

Vintage
    Re-issues
    New
    customs
    non-transforming

what do you guys think?

2. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    freakin a yea dude! Ebay is way out of control with some of the things they have goin. There's a fee for everything on that site... I can understand some of the fees, I mean they do help fund the site I'm guessing, butseriously it ends up costing quite a bit to sell things. I sold a custom tftm ccbb when the first movie came out and it cost me almost half of what the figure sold for to actually sell it!

3. Sabrina_Ng

Sabrina_Ng La Femme Fatale

Ebay:
    I second that. ebay cum paypal is not a friendly platform for sellers...Period.

4. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    the fees aren't that bad considering the audience ebay brings to our auctions. I've seen auctions with 15,000 or more views. It's wishful thinking, but no way around it. Ebay knows we need them and that's the bottom line. Paypal on the other hand...there are ways around (some of) those fees, very rarely though.

5. AndreyOfDoom

AndreyOfDoom maximize

News Credits:
    There used to be one called TF Auctions or something and it closed down because not many were using it.

6. Ghost Prime

Ghost Prime Banned

wheeljackslab was a TF only selling site at one point wasnt it?

7. Erector

Erector I ruined the Hall of Fame

News Credits:
    Yeah I'd say that while it sounds like a good idea in theory, the marketbase is too small. Everyone knows ebay, how would you get the name of your site out to EVERY TF fan so that they shop at your site, rather than go to the big boy?

8. Ghost Prime

Ghost Prime Banned

i think its easy to do because TRANSFORMERS are one of ebays top selling items! im pretty sure if someone could copy the template for ebays layout then you just tell everyone on all the TF forums this new TF ONLY auction site exsists were buyers/sellers dont get screwed over like what ebay does.....well im 100% sure all the TF fans would move house pretty damn quickly

9. CyberShadow

CyberShadow Wheeljacks Lab

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    This is something that I have thought about as well. The problem is getting the traffic. As a seller I would want to list my item where it gets the most views, and therefore the most chance of bidders driving the price up. As a buyer, I would look for a site where people dont always know what they are listing, so that I have a good chance of getting a bargain, or which gives me the maximum selection and choice. In both of these cases, that means eBay.

It is still an idea that I would love to see get off the ground, too.

I think that it could work, but that you would need to sort out some serious incentives on opening. Something like no fees for the first six months of opening, to get people into the habit of visiting.

10. sunlink

sunlink Be Transformed TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I tried to use a place called eBid.net which has free listings while only paying a fee on the final value. It basically never got any traffic.

so with eBay you pay fees for the traffic and more potential sales.

11. project9

project9 White n' Nerdy

Heck, I've been wanting to mess around with an auction script/software. I might be up for trying it out. Problem is I work full time and I'm not sure how much maintenance it would require.

12. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    there was a special on MSNBC or something about ebay's first days, amazing how that site went from nothing to what it is now. I think originally it was a beany baby swap site.

13. megatronkicksas

megatronkicksas Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Love the idea but I don't think it will get off ground, good luck tho.

14. galvascream

galvascream Apple Junkie

News Credits:
    anyone know how to make a site? i think somebody should make a tf auction site. it would need a snappy name like tfbids.com or something

15. project9

project9 White n' Nerdy

It's one of those things... some .coms hit and fade away and some become part of common vernacular. eBay just happened to be the one that hit and became the "kleenex" of online auctions.

16. project9

project9 White n' Nerdy

Hey, man. I'm running with this idea -- at least for fun, right now.

I think it would make sense to perhaps break it down via Loose, New or Custom figs first. Then sub-categories per toy line or via the above options. Does that seem like a good idea? or do you have any other thoughts?

17. Mr.Sci-Fi

Mr.Sci-Fi Bite my shiny Metal (_l_)

News Credits:
    Nice thought but it would fail, sorry to say. What about the security and fraud? Even if you had some traffic the policeing would become problematic.

18. project9

project9 White n' Nerdy

I'd assume you'd have the same issues as TFieds.com, Craigslist or any other site that's not eBay. You'd have some level of protection through PayPal, at least from a dispute standpoint. It would be a trust/honor system. Just like I trust that guy on Craigslist won't kill me when I go to the place to meet him to buy his old game system/TV/misc object.

19. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    You could do auction style listings in the Junkion. I used to buy a lot of G1 that way on alt.toys.transformers.marketplace in the mid-90s. You just wouldn't have the software to autobid, and it would be more work to monitor bidding via PMs/emails.

20. encline

encline customizer of love TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    HAHA. Thanks for the positive attitude.

But really, HAS ANYONE FELT LIKE EBAY HAS HELPED THEM IN A PROBLEM LATELY?

How many of you guys have had non payers as of late, then you get negative feedback when you report them?

Just look at eBay, it is not small seller friendly anymore. It seems to be moving more into an online mall with little to no customer support.