Transformers Ongoing #16 Discussion (There Be Spoilers, Bro)

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by TfAnimatedfan, Feb 9, 2011.

1. TfAnimatedfan

TfAnimatedfan Five. Dollar. Headband.

News Credits:
    I'm lovin' Starcream's argument at the beginning of the book. I like that he realizes that Megatron's gone insane.

2. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    It's out?

3. TfAnimatedfan

News Credits:
    I'm pretty sure it is. I don't have any means of obtaining an advance copy. I just picked this up from my local shop.

As for the issue:

It seems like the lack of thought on Megatron's side is not flawed writing. Megatron is indeed only out for revenge. I know that's a major complaint here on Tfw. The reason why Megatron would rather attack earth than conquer the universe is that he's out for plain 'ol revenge. Megatron's gone insane. Starcream clearly notes that he and (presumably) other Deceptions don't agree with Megatron's revenge plan.

Those of you who are blaming Megatron's obsession with earth on bad writing might want to check this issue out. They are writing Megatron this way on purpose. It's not bad writing, it's just the character.

4. rattimus prime

rattimus prime Scout Class Prime

^ well then people will just say that it's bad character. mind you these are the same people who have no problem with G1's Plot of the week. Remember Guys Spider-man didnt get where he is today in 16 issues, It's just that no one remembers the stuff that sucked.

5. mugen_prime

mugen_prime Well-Known Member

I gotta say, I think this was the very first truly good issue of the ongoing. The pacing and dialog were actually decent. The story was interesting. MAYBE there actually IS hope yet for Costa and this series..... maybe. I LOVE Don's designs being used by Milne with more "classic" faces instead of Don's nasty faces. I always liked the overall design Don had going, just not the faces. The art looked great in this issue!! Definitely a big step in the right direction.

6. TfAnimatedfan

News Credits:
    He's not a bad character he's written as flawed. Not liking a character doesn't mean they're a bad character

7. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Pretty good issue.
    Megatron is a serious force, and I like how this issue got pretty dark. Megatron ans the skull... pretty dark... pretty good.

8. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    *skips posts/closes eyes*

My lcs didn't get comics today cuz of stupid weather. :( 

Can't wait to read!

9. thygriever

thygriever Optimus Prime

News Credits:
    i also really enjoyed this issue! (haven't been so happy since the first 5 issues of ongoing). Megatron also seems to be super way overpowered. I'm curious how they're gonna take him down. I'm assuming Optimus will come by and get beat up typically..

Milne drawing the art is just as good as Don! They're 90% of the reason I've bought the latest issues. And also Milne can draw the heads so they look more G1 and not so "mechanical", I like!

10. s10blazed

s10blazed Duly appointed...

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    Not only was this issue my favorite of the series so far - it was one of my favorite comics that I've read in many months. It had plenty of action, suspense, and some good foreshadowing. The art was especially killer too.

One thing I may have missed, or perhaps intentionally left ambiguous, but did Brawn go to protect Thundercracker or take out Starscream? Or take out Thundercracker? Any ideas on that situation?

I also attached some of my favorite panels. I scanned them in to use a background on my phone. Enjoy.

Attached Files:

11. Sideswipe1954

Sideswipe1954 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I believe Magnus sent Brawn to get Thundercracker for help getting to Prime and the others in the last issue, at least how I understood it

12. snavej

snavej 5th Dan garage tidier

News Credits:
    Megatron wants revenge on the human race? How about a good old nuclear bombardment from orbit?!

13. Smokescreen

Smokescreen The Ultimate Gambler TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I got this issue yesterday. I thought it was pretty good, but not quite as good as the last two. I did really enjoy the panels with Brawn and Starscream. They were the highlight of the issue for me.

14. G1Wheeljack

G1Wheeljack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Really enjoyed this issue, partuarly Milne's art. I like how he keeps the style of Don but changed the faces, that really made everything better. The writing was solid too IMO, the only problem I have is that the first page felt unnessecary, Costa really needs to tone it down with those types of recap pages.

He can't do that, beacuse this time (pauses to dramatically take off sunglasses) it's PERSONAL.

15. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

^^ haha good job G1Wheeljack. Couldn't have said it better myself.

I really liked this issue too, a lot. Definitely the best in a while. Really dug the portrayal of Magnus (my boy!) and Starscream's treachery. I also like that Megs may be a little crazy himself.

Also the art was really awesome as people have pointed out. Sometimes backgrounds were lacking but overall great. Love the slightly different designs for Magnus and the seekers as well. I'd actually love to see Milne use Don's designs but draw in his own style, like his movie comics or Megatron: Origin.

Lastly, I really liked how the human rebels got the shit kicked out of them. They are getting annoying.

Downsides:
    A good 6 or 7 Autobts are blasting at Megatron, nothing happens. Some human throws a suppressor on him and he feels it? Boo.

Also, Megs is seeking revenge for getting blasted in the back of the head? He had waged an all out war on the humans in AHM, did he expect they'd take it lying down? I don't know if those are "reasonable" grounds for revenge. Now maybe if Spike had pissed in his bucket head after he blasted it, that would qualify. And revenge against the human race? Isn't he really just mad for getting sucker punched? Maybe he's seeking revenge for the position it put his Decepticons in? Hopefully this gets explained a bit better.

16. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Did we forget Shockwave may be controlling Megatron?

Best art from Milne ever! He really outdid himself this issue

Best part? Thundercracker - "The Autobots pitch was better"

17. Blitz Wing

Blitz Wing Triple Threat

I finally got around to reading it. Great stuff! Pacing was done well, and it had a great mix of action and dialog.

Magnus is finally starting to act like the Magnus I used to love from season 3 of the cartoon. He's begrudgingly leading the Autobots and is willing to put himself in front of the humans to take on Megatron's wrath.

Loved the scene between Starscream and Thundercracker. I just really hope that TC's damage isn't fatal. It would be a colossal waste of character development for them to just kill him off in that way.

Can't wait to see Megatron smash more humans.

18. GENOZAUR

GENOZAUR Banned

i hope brawn tears screamer a new exhaust port butt good

you ask me the dirty psycho jetcon deserves it and worse for shooting thundercracker in the back

19. col

col ROCK LORD

News Credits:
    Man, I'm just happy to have an artist on this book that knows how to draw people.

20. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Unfortunately I just can't take seriously anything Megatron does while he's still wearing his Speed Racer helmet.

The issue was some kind of general improvement though.