Transformers Ongoing #13 Discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Tim Formas, Nov 9, 2010.

1. Tim Formas

Tim Formas Old Man Veteran

News Credits:
  2. Slain

Slain Decepticon

Good that they changed Hot Rod back to his brash, young, imma-ride-a-meteor-to-your-planet type! Enjoyed that way more than the jerk he turned out in the beginning of the Ongoing.

Hope my order comes quick this time, or else I'll be stuck reading reviews for the next 3 months :( 

3. Jetstream

Jetstream Well-Known Member

Its good to see Rodimus (though should it be back to being Hot Rod now?) acting more like he did in spotlight Hot Rod. Though too many Ongoing issues seem to be merely stage setters, which isn't a bad thing, the story has to be built up, it just seems a lot of them are.
    Ever since reading a comment that compared Ongoing to AHM I can't get the similarities out of my head. While in a lot of areas the stories are quite different, there are lot of things similar, one faction on Earth with not a lot to do (initially at least in Ongoing) while the enemy sit around on another world waiting for their leader to come back from the dead before returning to Earth.

4. Smokescreen

Smokescreen The Ultimate Gambler

News Credits:
    I'm glad to see Razorclaw getting some action in this one. I'm very much looking forward to this new story arc.

5. s10blazed

s10blazed Duly appointed...

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    Is Roche a guest artist for this issue only? Or will he be doing the whole story arc that is mentioned in the preview?

6. Tim Formas

Tim Formas Old Man Veteran

News Credits:
    Guest artist, it appears. Although the #14 solicitation mentions Roche as the artist, the cover has Don's name on it. Don's also on #15.

7. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm Wreck n’ rule

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Gutted, if Roche was doing the entire ark I'd have bought the single issues.

8. Shatterpoint

Shatterpoint Neato

News Credits:
    Acid Storm FINALLY gets dialoge

9. EvaUnit-01

EvaUnit-01 Well-Known Member

When I look at these pages I only notice two things....HOLY CRAP!!! IT'S ACID STORM!!! That guy was my first seeker mold...good times...and also, whoa! I haven't been reading Ongoing or anything but that panel with Hot Rod holding the gun looks really wonky looking, although I kinda like the "gun that doesn't look like an over sized revolver-true blue alien looking gun"

10. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot You can, you up. No can, no BB.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I might have to pick this issue up, I am glad to see Rodimus back. Relevant, I found this picture on 4chan :lol .

Attached Files:

11. mugen_prime

mugen_prime Well-Known Member

This is looking pretty promising! The ongoing series has been getting pretty "meh" for me. It's kinda just been boring. But this issue is looking good so far. I look forward to picking this one up!

12. darkwingduck13

darkwingduck13 Caped Crusader

Dammit, Roche isn't the artist going forward? I'm not buying 1-2 issues of the series just to have the art potentially switch back to the creepyface BS. :( 

13. Coeloptera

Coeloptera Big, bad beetle-bot

From the review:

"Ongoing writer Mike Costa, who really hit his stride during the “International Incident” story arc, has a huge task of starting off a new story arc by centering it on the much-debated interpretation of Rodimus/Hot Rod. Costa attempts to redeem the character, putting the character into battle versus the Decepticons rather than the character that leads the attempt to flee the conflict. He starts off the issue with a nice little touch…Hot Rod’s G1 motto! From there, Rodimus’ actions seem more reminiscent of the Autobot from Spotlight Hot Rod rather than the character viewed as a coward during the early part of the ongoing series."

I see the freaking wild character inconsistency is still going strong. Character acts one way for a few issues, then suddenly, after not being seen for a bit, is acting in an utterly different fashion that's a total stretch to get from there to here.

Seriously, can we get Roche to write the ongoing? I mean, really. Don can do all the art he likes. I enjoy his work.

- Coeloptera

14. Cyclonus86

Cyclonus86 Wrecker - Wreck 'N' Rule

News Credits:
    Thats because Costa screwed the pooch with Hot Rod in the early issue of ongoing. I guess he never actually read Furman's stories and thought Rodddy was same old cliche bot that everyone hated.It was only after negative backlash from readers that the Costa realized that he had totally miswritten the character. Basically he had no choice but to revert back to the Spotlight version of HR that everyone knew. Wouldn't be the first cop out , he screwed Prowl and than gave a stupid explanation on the change of behavior ( U'mas R Awesome) , killed Ironhide and gave another lame explanation and brought him back.

Personally i don't care if it shoots the development down the drain , l love this version of Hot Rod and i’m glad his back. Of course Costa f^&ks it up in the end. Also Megs suddenly doesn't care about the matrix anymore ( Jesus . I pretty sure Costa and Schmitty themselves don't care or are oblivious the history of the IDW TF universe). It was good one issue that actually takes place in space and away from the America F*$k yeah bullsh*& that Costa intent on writing.

Overall gorgeous art from Roache, consistent crappy writing from Costa.

15. Jericho

Jericho Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wow, that last panel with Hot Rod is AWFUL. Who drew that and please don't let them near any other comics.

16. E. C. R. Former

E. C. R. Former Is probably insane...

Did you honestly just say you don't want Nick Roche let anywhere near any other comics again? Man, everyone's going to hate you.

17. Sideswipe80

Sideswipe80 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've been saying that for a while now. I don't like his art at all.

18. Digilaut

Digilaut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I DO like Nick Roche's art. But I have to say I'm not really liking this. My main problem isn't with the actual drawings..it's with the bland coloring and the use of some very simplistic looking backgrounds.

I'm sure I'll live :) 

19. TfAnimatedfan

TfAnimatedfan Five. Dollar. Headband.

News Credits:
    Well, the gun from the end of #12 isn't Megatron, that's for sure :) 

I think we've finally lost the slow pacing of the first few issues. Megs is back and he means business. I like the new design, it reminds me of the shadow Megatron repaint from animated. Hot Rod was alright in this issue. I'm guessing the Matrix died along with him?

20. ShiroPrime

ShiroPrime blargh

Wait a sec, did you just say Hotrod dies in this issue? I won't be able to read this until December.