Transformers of Scale

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by CVprowl, Mar 24, 2011.

?

Which best sums up your feelings about scale issues in Transformers toys?

1. I never think about it.

5 vote(s)
    5.5%
  2. I don't care about their scale.

35 vote(s)
    38.5%
  3. It's important to me. I like them to be as close to scale as possible.

43 vote(s)
    47.3%
  4. It bothers me so much its all i can think about before i cry myself to sleep.

8 vote(s)
    8.8%
  1. 1984forever

1984forever Banned

We need bigger seekers

2. Nightwind

Nightwind Aka Dusty Bottoms.

I have the main cast of Beast Machines in toy form and I love each one! That should pretty much sum up my concerns with scale! :lol 

3. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    In a perfect world every toy would be in scale but oh well. I don't let it bother me.

4. Tiller

Tiller I don't know nothin'

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I OCD on scale. I tend to stick scout cars with larger vehicles. For my FP enhanced combiners I've got Hybrid Style Convoy, HFTD Breacher, and PCC Huffer mingling with them, while I keep deluxe cars and voyager planes together somewhere else. I never really display anything, but when I take out a group from my bin I attempt to keep scale. It helps me conserve money and becomes a meta game within itself to keep me occupied. It's as if Hasbro issued a challenge with Transformers and scale as it is. Well Hasbro? Challenge Accepted.

5. CVprowl

CVprowl Done

i think i like your attitude. :dj 

6. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Scale is important to me, but not so much that it's the end all of things. I prefer things to be in scale with each other, but it doesn't stop me from enjoying TFs.

However, this is the reason I've always enjoyed Alternators/Binaltech. Those lines (and it's stepchild, Alternity) are officially in scale with each other.

Also, while some may think that "scale" refers to height of a robot mode, scale refers to length, notably the alt mode.

7. Sammael

Sammael MightyMegatron from ATT

News Credits:
    It can mean either. "Length" does not necessarily apply to vehicle mode, we can talk about the "length" of the robot mode as well.

8. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    If they lie down, perhaps :) lol), but I think you're missing my point, though. Typically when fans refer to "scale" it's the robot mode (generally as compared side to side), but they throw out the alt mode in the process. For example, the Masterpiece Seekers are not in scale with an Alternators Transformer, since the Alternators transform into 1:24 scale vehicles. The F-15 Eagle is about 64 ft in length, which isn't a 1:1 ratio with a 1:24 scale auto. A 1:24 scale Seeker would have to have a jet mode of nearly 3 feet to pull this off!

Last edited: Mar 25, 2011
  9. Moriarty

Moriarty = ♀

News Credits:
    It doesn't bother me. Sure, sometimes I look at TFA Lugnut or my Henkei Astrotrain and think "well, they could have been taller, I guess" but it doesn't make me love the figures any less than I do. :) 

10. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    Sure I would like a little better scale, but it really isn't that important to me. If the figure is nice, I will pick it up and put it on the shelf. I think with their advancing engineering, and had they known the success of the movie franchise, they could have given us a much better Voyager Bonecrusher and Leader Blackout. Bonecrusher blowing through the bus in all the early previews just made him look sick. Would love if they would have upscaled a few more G1 classics instead of giving us Seaspray, Lugnut, Mindwipe repaint, etc.

I think what kills me the most is some of their overall choices in the Voyager range. It seems that they can't hit the characters well enough to sell those things in the last few lines.

11. AMG

AMG Old School

It's nice to have bots in scale, but it doesn't really bother me if they aren't.

12. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot

News Credits:
    I'm very much against size changing so even though I buy cool toys I sigh every now and then when I look at my Seekers standing at eye level with Bee. A jet would be at least 4 times larger than a bug. So I buy out of scale but would love a line in scale. If I liked the movie aesthetic I would own every human alliance figure.

If I had infinite time and resources I would by hand scale things correctly.

13. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    doesn't matter as long as they look good.

14. Kraken

Kraken Is a vegiesaurus, Lex. Veteran

News Credits:
    I'm a tad more ocd about scale in alt mode than robot, if a big jet transforms into a dumpy robot, or a small car transforms into a lanky robot, that doesn't bother me, but I do tend to keep the deluxe sized motorbikes off to one side by themselves, deluxe jets will be put with legends cars and scout trucks etc.

But having said that most of my collection is displayed in robot mode so it's not really a biggy.

15. LadyStarscream

LadyStarscream Queen of Cybertron

I am a big fan of size changing! It's more important to me that all the bots are in scale with eachother either from the cartoon series' or from the original G1 toys. I don't give a flying bot about the realistic scale of a jet compared to a car and all that, infact that actually bugs me more when they are, because then the characters are so out of scale with each other transformed.

16. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl

I don't care about the scale of the TF toys.

17. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Bloodsail Admiral

Scale is nice but i do not worry about it.

18. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

True, but on the other hand if you're displaying in robot mode, that's not really an issue; a lot of people are hung up on robot modes being "to scale", such as thinking all the original G1 Minibot characters should be Scout class or some such.

Luckily I'm not one of them. I have only the loosest interest in scale; for example all my G1 Minibots happen to be at Deluxe class. But they also mingle with Scout class cars and Deluxe tanks and jets, so, whatevs. :p 

19. LadyStarscream

LadyStarscream Queen of Cybertron

I would be happy with any consistent scaling. The minibots don't all have to be legends or scouts, but it would be nice if they were all the same. No reason for Powerglide to be an ultra, while Seaspray is a voyager, Bumblebee is a deluxe, Windcharger is a scout, Cosmos is a legend, it's annoying and frustrating. Now if we could get all the minibots in each class at some point, I wouldn't complain.

20. Cax6ton

Cax6ton Insufferable Smartass

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    I don't care about scale as it relates from one figure to another. It was never right in any cartoon, comic, or toy line, so expectations about it seem a little odd to me.

The only time I even notice scale issues are for figures that aren't in scale with themselves like Generations Scourge - something about the fact that his toes are the size of a gigantic airplane cockpit seems a little odd. But then I shrug it off and keep transforming him :D