Transformers, OCD, and You

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Mightion, Dec 7, 2009.

1. Mightion

Mightion There is ALWAYS room.

News Credits:
    Here's a question... what habits/dogma/rules/trends do you have when displaying Transformers, or even just playing with them?

Here's a few I've thought of lately:

1. I have Armada Optimus and Jetfire, as well as Powerlinx Optimus and Powerlinx Jetfire and Overload. Now, I've never combined Overload with original Armada Jetpants Prime because I bought Overload and PB Optimus and PB Jetfire at the same time. This means, in my mind, that Overload "belongs" to PB Optimus + Jetfire.

2. When dealing with TFs that have multiple combinations, like combiner teams, I tend to follow the instruction quite closely. That's why on my reissue Predaking, Divebomb is always the left arm, and Tantrum is the right leg.

3. Whenever a TF has one hand weapon that can be placed in either hand, I always put them in the right hand. If a TF comes with a sword and gun, the gun goes inthe right hand. (Exception being RiD Scourge, who holds his Sword of Fury in his right hand, and his lame gun in the other.)

4. If it combines, it gets displayed in combined mode. Exceptions of course, if a TF can combine with more than one other toy - my Energon Optimus is combined with Wing Saber, while the Prime Force stays in the trailer, and Omega Supreme stands alone.

2. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    My OCD says that this belongs in TF Toy Discussion.

Though seriously, how you prefer to play with your toys and Obsessive Compulsive Disorders are two completely different things. I've got friends with diagnosed OCD and whether Rampage is on the right or left isn't even a drop in the bucket in terms of what I've seen.

/soapbox

3. bny888

bny888 バグバイト

News Credits:
    this may sound weird, but i wash my hands really well before i play with or handle my tf figures. it's like i'm preparing to perform surgery...

4. petes2177

petes2177 the poowrr?

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wow, I was about to put that and I scroll down and read the posts and you already said it. :lol 

But yeah, I wash my hands with soap before touching my figures 'cuz hand oils and germs are naughty nedsss.

5. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Yeah, I wash my hands all the time as well.

My OCD habits really have less to do with how I pose them or anything, but rather how I like to leave them in said pose FOREVER and how I can't stand anyone else nudging or moving anything slightly away from how I had it. Even accidentally. Not that I'd go off on anyone, that'd just be dumb. But I really will stand there and spend the next 10 minutes putting the figure exactly as it was.

6. RodimusDawg

RodimusDawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    While I won't call it OCD, but more being anal than anything. I usually try and do teams and what not. Like the Wreckers get a section to themselves.

7. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

I'm not very OCD... I'm actually a little sloppy sometimes. My one little bit of OCD is keeping Autobots and Decepticons together, and organizing by series. Luckily, since Armada, Energon and Cybertron are connected, I don't mind putting the "Unicron Trilogy" together.

However, after rearranging my living room, until we get a better place to put our DVDs and PS2 games, I only have room for one of my shelves in here (it's a small, 1-bedroom apartment... but it's just my girlfriend and I, so we don't need a lot). I kinda need two to fit all my Classics/Universe 2/Classics Substitutes (very very few of those) together.

8. Fenix951

Fenix951 Well-Known Member

the only thing i worry about is they all have to be in robot mode or alt mode. my collection is only about 15 right now so it doesnt take me long to convert them all to whichever mode i want to see them displayed in at the time. it just bothers me to see some bots mixed with alts.

9. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I'm OCD about a lot of things but not really anything to do with Transformers. I suppose the closest could be if I've got to move to a load of figures to get to something and I'll usually try and put them back as they were afterwards. Not exactly, like measuring distances and exact same poses as before, but just standing the figures more or less back where they were. More just 'cos I know they'll all fit back again because that's how they were stood before. So, less OCD and more just practical I guess.

Now if we're to start discussing making sure my house or car are properly locked then we're into a whole other OCDness.

10. Kupp

Kupp Ford Fanboy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I am OCD, but not ridiculously so. (Unless you consider I will hit 1100 TFs by x-mas.)

I keep track of my collection in a multi-page Excel workbook, that adds up the total faction counts in two different manners to elliminate mathematical error. I also have a mechanism for removing duplicate characters. For instance G1 Starscream, Encore Starscream, Actionmaster Starscream, Classic Starscream, Pretender Starscream, and G2 Starscream would collectively count as 1 Decepticon torward my final faction count.

Likewise G1 Prime, PM Prime, Star Convoy, ect... all count as one character.

Now while in the same vein Armada Starscream, Armada Thundercracker, and the Energon, and Cybertron Starscreams are the same character, I separate Galaxy Force out as it's own divergent continuity. So Nitro Convoy and Override are seperate characters.

To make a long story shorter and save you from my clerical OCD, I think you get the point.

As far as keeping weapons and what not, Classic Magnus has his city Commander armor and add on weapons. Classic Prime has both the all black guns that go to Magnus and Nemesis Prime. Nemesis prime has Prime's silver painted gun on his back as smoke stacks while he holds his other gun and an extra RiD Scourge Sword I picked up some years back.

11. ryan.j

ryan.j Well-Known Member

i am normal.

in your collective face, OCD spackers.

12. Phoenix Blaze

Phoenix Blaze Brain Waster

Most of these things sound like habits not a *disorder* which is well, it's always a bad thing.

Anyway, I don't really have anything major. Cons go on one side, Bots the other. Guns go in right hands. Swords in right if they have it, guns in left in that case.

Um, that's it. Things like combiners stay combined etc. is just a habit. They look better that way, duh.

So yeah, habits, not OCD. Not washing your hands 50 times. Not clicking lights when you enter and leave rooms until it feels *just* right.

13. Ace Convoy

Ace Convoy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm always searching for that perfect pose.

If any of my toys gets moved a centimeter I hurredly try to put it back.

14. gargunkle

gargunkle someone

I almost always put a figure's gun in the left hand. Not so much OCD as habit; I don't even really notice I am doing it. (I am left-handed also.)

15. Skylock

Skylock Rogue

News Credits:
    Clean hands as previsouly mentioned.

16. TrukkinMunky

TrukkinMunky Autobot

Ebay:
    This.

17. Th0r4z1n3

Th0r4z1n3 The F*cking Lizard King! Veteran

News Credits:
    Well not to get too stereotypical but all my figures are lined up in straight parallel lines; shortest in the front, tallest in the back. My shelves are generally themed: All Megs, Primes, Seekers, Alts/BTs, combiners, Bumblebees, Soundwaves, motorcycles, dinosaurs, etc. (the rambling not OCD, that just general nerdyness). Repaints, also tend to stand next to each other in identical poses too.

I can't stand to just have them all disorderly.
    I do this! :D  My wife always gives me crap cuz when I come home and something has been moved I'll notice it right away and spend the next 1/2 hour or so trying to get it back the way it was
    I keep a database like this too, although not quite so intricate. I wouldn't mind taking a look to see how you've done some of that (if you don't mind), it's been since the late 90s that I've taken a database/spreadsheet class & I've forgotten quite a bit since then.

18. Octavius Prime

Octavius Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My biggest TF OCD bit is taking UT toys that have been released post-Cybertron and conceptually fitting them back into that fictional universe (or the Megazarak Universe, that works too). So Classics Devastator is really upgraded Energon Constructicon Maximus (although I call him Devastator anyway, he still belongs in the UT universe). Or the Classics Minicons. They're UT characters to me, club comics be damned.

19. Beastbot X

Beastbot X The Toad Knows.

News Credits:
    I used to have rather severe OCD and I've mostly managed to get rid of it through various methods/meds, though I still can almost never bring myself to buy a loose TF. It has to be MISB/MOSC or I won't buy it unless I really really REALLY want it. The only two TFs I've bought loose were G1 Shockwave and Squeezeplay, and even though I really wanted them I still don't play with them that much because I'd have to.... y'know... touch them.

20. shadow panther

shadow panther Mechanically Insane

News Credits:
    i dont have any TF OCD issues, theyre just toys. i toss em all in a box when im done with em