transformers new classics line on the way?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by mac&cheese, Apr 13, 2010.

1. mac&cheese

mac&cheese Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i was wondering is the classics line a done line, no longer made ever? or is it a line which has a few issue now and then? those are really modern looking compared to the old g1 versions. i might get a few if they made more.

2. CyclonuS_ZerO

CyclonuS_ZerO Uni-con

News Credits:
    If the Classics line ever sees reissues of the figures it'll be a long time from now. It's going to be continued under the name Generations come fall. Have you seen the coverage of Toyfair 2010?

3. mac&cheese

mac&cheese Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    any links?

4. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    Oh mac, once again you present us with a thread that demonstrates you've only been into Transformers for a year and have missed out on all the awesome fanwanks Hasbro and Takara have given us in this decade.

Classics (2006) - Transformers Wiki
    The Classics line began in 2006 and ended in 2007, Hasbro didn't predict at the time that it'd be popular enough to sustain itself for anything more than a filler line, but they were surprised at the results. The line consisted of 9 new molds (Optimus, Megatron, Jetfire, Bumblebee, Hot Rod(Rodimus), Starscream, Astrotrain, Mirage, and Grimlock) and a few recolors/remolds (Cliffjumper, Ramjet, Magnus, Skywarp, and a recolor of Energon Devastator). Plus mini-cons, legends, and re-issues for people that care about that stuff.

The line was also particularly notorious for the Botcon 2007 set, in which the remaining 3 seekers were released in limited numbers and high premiums, because at the time, Hasbro thought they couldnt sell the mold 3 more times and Fun Pub took the ball and ran with it. This resulted in things like the Japanese swooping in with their own versions of the remaining seekers, and the upcoming Thrust.

To answer your initial question, Classics itself ended in 2007, and it is incredibly unlikely that Hasbro will re-issue the entire line, though it is possible and likely that the molds will be occasionally released in new colors/characters. The line was also released in Japan as "Henkei!"
    Henkei! Henkei! (toyline) - Transformers Wiki
    which featured the same characters in altered color schemes, sometimes minor, sometimes drastic, always with oddly placed chrome. Some people prefer the Henkei color schemes, though it's best to take each mold on a case-by-case basis. In your situation, you'll be buying all of them on the aftermarket anyway.

But even though Classics-06 ended, its unexpected (to Hasbro) popularity prompted the big H to continue the line in 2008, as the Universe line (though this was the 2nd line to bear that name)
    Universe (2008 toyline) - Transformers Wiki
    Universe featured recolors of figures from the Cybertron line as characters who, in many people's minds, didn't really fit the Classics aesthetic. It also featured recolors from Classics, and from Universe itself, as some oddball choices (such as Tread Bolt and Storm Cloud). But, the meat of Universe was, unsurprisingly, the new molds and their expected recolors (Prowl + Bluestreak(Silverstreak) + Smokescreen, Sunstreaker + Sideswipe, Octane(Tankor), Galvatron, Ironhide + Ratchet, Hound and Ravage, Cyclonus, Inferno, Onslaught, Powerglide, and Silverbolt).

Unlike Classics, however, Universe didn't focus entirely on G1 (though it sorta started out that way). It moved on to introduce updates to Beast Wars and Armada, Dinobot, Cheetor, and Hot Shot. Also like Classics, it also featured Legends and Robot Heroes in addition to the mainline stuff, as well as many store exclusives.

But Universe, like Classics, has ended, and if you want it, you'll be getting it on the aftermarket. But, the theme of updated generations is still being continued this year, in the form of the Generations line

Generations (toyline) - Transformers Wiki
    So far we only know 7 of the figures that are going to be in Generations, 3 of which are from the upcoming War for Cybertron video game (Prime, Megatron, Bumblebee), 2 of which are formerly comic-exclusive characters (Straxus(Darkmount) and Drift), plus Thrust (a recolor of Henkei Thrust) and Blurr (a remold of Drift). It is too early to speculate on how long the line will last and what else it will contain, but we have told that it will only contain Deluxe sized figures (I wouldnt be surprised if store-exclusives broke that rule... though store-exclusives will probably belong in the "gold box" TF2010 line instead)

Speaking of which, the Transformers 2010 line
    Transformers (2010 toyline) - Transformers Wiki
    Is the continuation of the Revenge of the Fallen toyline, but is stated to contain figures that don't necessarily belong to the movie continuity (as well as some that are directly from the movie), and as such blurs the line between what continuity is to begin with. Most of the figures that we've seen from this line so far are movie recolors, and so they look like they belong in the movie continuity, but we have no idea what the future of this line contains, and one of the figures from this line (Seaspray), seems to obviously spring from the same inspiration as Universe Powerglide. As such, the TF2010 line may or may not give us figures that would fit in with Generations while living outside of the deluxe-only rule.

Unlike Classics and Universe, Generations is not over. In fact, it hasn't even begun yet. So, you are in the perfect position to get in on the ground floor of this line, buying them at retail prices at the same time as trying to find its predecessors at aftermarket prices.

5. ephbot

ephbot Member

I remember during Universe 2.0 (before ROTF came out) that the Hasbro design team had a voyager Rhinox in the works -- does anybody remember reading anything re: that after the Generations announcement came out? i.e. Are we still getting our Chainguns of Doom?

6. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

No, because he wasn't in the works. A voyager class Rhinox was a wishlist sort of figure. The TF design team said if they could do more Beast Wars updates they'd do a voyager Rhinox. But Generations is only deluxes and no beast characters.

7. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    As a rule, give a toyline time to die. read the birth and death announcements here on the site's front page.
    silence for a few weeks isn't the kiss of death and with the way the conventions, Toy Fair, and all the other toy-related shows are spaced out, you will always have news.

personally, i didn't declare the A/E/C trilogy toy lines dead for over a year after the last waves came out. (they're like cock-a-roaches, ya know, lol)

as for Classics/TFU/Generations, i am a bit road weary from telling them apart and making the distinction. if it looks like a Classics, that's what i will call it. If the toy looks like RotF, that's what it will be.
    Generations to me isn't the end of Classics/Universe. just package redesign for the toys.

Preorder what ya can Mac, and while you wait for your Pile O' Loot to swell, go after the classics you missed.
    enjoy the hunting!

8. Automorpher

Automorpher Autobot Slut!

News Credits:
    I would've deem the line DEAD had I not seen the Blue Bumblebee Repaint that was FP'ed. :lol 

Now, we need more confirmation.