transformers nerds???

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by tony77tony77, Jan 9, 2009.

1. tony77tony77

tony77tony77 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    LOL!!!!

2. Zherbus

Zherbus In Shogo Hasui, we trust.

News Credits:
    TFW2005: Never a disappointing topic. I'll just take whatever label people think is appropriate assigning me. Who actually gives a shit, anyway?

3. Silent_Magnus

Silent_Magnus Taint of Primus

News Credits:

An example of the variation.

For me a geek is someone who have more interest in a subject then the average person.

A nerd is someone who is very knowledgeable about a certain subject.

I have met a number of people who I consider "geeks" but not nerds.
    Although most nerds I consider geeks. Although I guess it is possible to know a lot about something and not have a lot of interest in it.

edit:
    I also have a alternate definition for the two.
    A nerd/geek is just someone who is interested in science-fiction/fantasy/video games/tech/ general academic stuff/ ect...

although I guess we could go by the dictionary.com definitions.

Nerd
    1. a stupid, irritating, ineffectual, or unattractive person.
    2. an intelligent but single-minded person obsessed with a nonsocial hobby or pursuit: a computer nerd.

Geek
    1. a peculiar or otherwise dislikable person, esp. one who is perceived to be overly intellectual.
    2. a computer expert or enthusiast (a term of pride as self-reference, but often considered offensive when used by outsiders.)
    3. a carnival performer who performs sensationally morbid or disgusting acts, as biting off the head of a live chicken.

4. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We Exist, and We DON'T Want to Date You

News Credits:
    Proud to be! :D 

--Moony

5. GW_Freak

GW_Freak Banned

That's me alright.

6. Silent_Magnus

News Credits:
    Ozzy Osbourne is a huge geek.

7. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm Wreck n’ rule

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Actually Geeks can be applied outside of science fiction/fantasy

I hear and use the term Drama-Geek quite often to people studying theatre and in general actors and directors.

Nerd however has more negative connotations that geekdom and does not seem to be applied outside of sci-fi/fantasy ethusiasts

8. Soundwave84

Soundwave84 Banned

News Credits:
    this^

9. Silent_Magnus

News Credits:
    Yes, I forgot art in general.

Although I think just mainly boils down to whether or not you think you're whatever you are.

10. tony77tony77

tony77tony77 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    LOL!!! I guess I am the most famous nerd in this board.:rock 

11. GW_Freak

GW_Freak Banned

Proof/Pics or it's all a nerd delusion!

12. Human Beastbox

Human Beastbox The Murdinator

News Credits:
    I wish that were universally true. It seems that when a girl I date finds out that I collect toys and have some that are still in the box, I might as well have my genitalia sealed in that same box.:thumbdown 

13. GW_Freak

GW_Freak Banned

Girls love "Dick in a box".

14. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot You can, you up. No can, no BB.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I heart nerds!

15. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    I'm not into TFs 24/7, I don't wear TF shirts or use TF sheets, but I'm a total TF nerd. And I'm proud of it.

16. Molini

Molini spawn of a glitch

For the record...

Sports analysts, and anyone else who knows that much sports trivia and statistical information over so many years for so many different players are some of the biggest NERDS/GEEKS in the world.

Personally, I think of a nerd as someone who invests a lot of time researching information on their particular hobby eventually becoming very knowledgeable with the pertinent information of that hobby. Some even tend to isolate themselves somewhat from social circles at times during their dedicated research.

A Geek, may not be as knowledgeable or even care too much if they don't know everything or more than the next individual, however they spend quite a bit of time indulging in their hobby aquiring merchandise or participating in any fan related community.

I think you can be a Nerd and still have geek qualities and vice versa but somewhere you are more one than the other.

I also don't think looks have anything to do with it, as I've seen some Nerds and Geeks who look very physically attractive.

...Then of course is the infamous "FanBoy/Girl"

a fanboy/girl, by my criteria, is someone who is so devoted to a particular hobby/interest that they are compulsively meticulous with anything that is associated. They can also be extremely irritating to conversate with on the subject of their hobby/interest if you manage to transgress their adherence to always having to be right, even when they're wrong (subjective).

Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
  17. Bgrngod

Bgrngod Autocon

News Credits:
    If you don't have a qualifying Certificate of Authenticity for being a TF Nerd, then you can't be one. Do you have one? No, you don't. Do I? Yes, I do.

I > U

18. Bottom Out

Bottom Out Well-Known Member

are you kidding? there are definetly tf nerds on this site

"we" dont do anything, some of the people on here do all that but its not a requirement to be a member here. I dont collect toys, i dont argue about characters....even still doing those things dont make you a nerd anyways

you're not a nerd, dont worry about it

----

anyways, a nerd may have a specific definition, and a lot of you explained it well, however the term nerd and the way its used in real life is much different, the word nerd means you're a loser. If someone calls you a nerd who isnt just joking around with you as a friend, they are calling you a loser. You suck at life...you spend your days researching an 80s cartoon show..collecting any and everything related to it..spendin ridiculous amounts of money on toys that you arent even going to open..it doesnt matter if its a "collection" - call it what you want, its what you are collecting that really matters.....collecting weapons, coins, stamps...those are things are not considered nerdy...doyou know why? because you have to be an adult to do it...collecting toys as an adult is very nerdy even though the concept is exactly the same...people dont see it like that and no one should be "proud" to be called a nerd since its a pretty mean thing to be called, its like saying im proud that i have no job and am single and live at home - im proud to be a loser. It doesnt matter if they are using the word nerd incorrectly to describe you, they mean what they mean and thats what really matters.

now most of you in my opinion are not losers so dont get all upset with what i just wrote, im just letting you know how people from the "outside" use the word - its definetly not something you want to be associated with unless its comming from someone you know means well.

To the guy who has trouble getting a date...i really dont know what to tell you. Whats more important..finding love or getting that new seeker repaint?

19. tomdom69

tomdom69 Well-Known Member

Nerd
    1. a stupid, irritating, ineffectual, or unattractive person.

I think that is what he's talking about.

There are actually less then you would think. You guys ALL know what he's talking about. At least those ones who have been to botcon.

The extra extra large or extra extra dorky, lisp havin, drool spewing, too close standing, non deoderant wearing, non bath taking, moob havin, never kissed a girl and won't leave you alone in line, kind of guys.

20. Bottom Out

Bottom Out Well-Known Member

^the same kind that clapped in the theater when optimus prime transformed for the first time in the bay movie