Transformers natural life span

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by kryptofred, Jul 19, 2011.

1. kryptofred

kryptofred super-con

Ebay:
    I've been wondering if there has ever been evidence of transformers dieing of old age or natural causes. I cannot remeber anyone dieing who wasn't killed somehow and that bothers me.

I can accept that they live for millions of years and can replace damaged parts and even upgrade themselves in some cases. I'm okay with the idea that they can survive in stasis for untold years and remain mostly unchanged. I like that we've seen things like cosmic rust and cybertronium depletion represent how disease might manifest in robotic or cybertronic life. I like that the hate plauge could effect both TF's and humans because it helped to show how the two races are similar on some level. Transformers have been poisoned by tainted fuel and were in pain because of it. There are even some injuries so sever that they cannot be repaired as is the case with Rack'n'Ruin.

But how do transformers die if not by conventional weapons? Shouldn't their sparks (or whatever you want to call them) burn out eventually?

I've always considered death to be a natural part of the life cycle along with eating, growing and reproducing. And all of these things have been represented in diffrent ways in various media. But to not see an end to the life cycle mirrored somehow in transformers makes them less interesting to me.

2. Crossfire-034

Crossfire-034 Insensitive jerk

Well, in some cases they can "die" by running out of Energon. Other than that, I haven't heard of anything else that "naturally" kills them.

3. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think the sole example of "old age" killing a Transformer is the Overlord, a Transformer from a single Marvel UK story set in the pre-war times, who was so decrepit that he required near-constant infusions of Energon just to remain functional. Of course, he only eventually wound up perishing when he proved unable to obtain any fresh energy, but he's probably one of the most visible examples of "old age" being debilitating in Transformers and it feels like eventually, even regular energy infusions wouldn't have cut it after a point.

4. Transfotaku

Transfotaku Transformer Otaku

Optimus Prime is at least 9 million years old.

Kup is older than that.

Alpha Trion is...well, he's as old as the race of Transformers themselves.

So, knowing that AT is as old as the first TFs ever (since he was one of the first!), and was still alive and healthy in 1985 (at least in the G1 toon), and only died when he willed himself to merge with VS (G1 toon still), and knowing that OP is almost 10 million years old and acts like someone in the prime of his life (pun?), I'd have to say:

TFs are effectively immortal, in the "we can not die of old age" sense. Disease and war can still kill them, as does energy starvation, but it seems they can get as old as they feel like and not die of age.

5. Mospeada

Mospeada Since '84

News Credits:
    Yeah, old age isn't something you much worry about when you're millions of years old. I love Ratchet and Kup being the cranky old guys reminiscing millions of years back.

6. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    Don't know what it would be, but Waspinator sure seems to have alot. Gets blown up and well keeps on getting blown up, smashed, flatten, and torn to bits. So I guess he must be the "cat" of transformers.

7. Dinodigger97

Dinodigger97 germinates within you.

News Credits:
    they live till they get shot,torn apart,stabed in the back,decapitation,blah..blah...blah
    you get it.

8. icanfly

icanfly Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Well no they shouldnt die of old age. Human beings wouldn't either if our aging parts were easily exchanged for fully compatible parts. No one dies of old age, they die of heart failure or pneumonia or cancer, which is similar to part failure. So no, they wont die of "old age" unless they let it happen. So go visit Ratchet and get that servo upgraded and you'll live forever

JL

9. Driftx3

Driftx3 lord of all things robot

All continuities agree there is no natural lifespan of a TF. They live till they are killed, Drift Spotlight even explains that they are practically immortal. Since a TF is not truly alive, this is no big shock.

But there are plenty of animals that have no natural lifespan, chelonians (turtles) live until killed and do not "age" as we do. Same with crocodilians (crocodiles, alligators).

10. doucoo

doucoo U're an idiot Starscream!

Ebay:
    That's the one I immediately thought of.

11. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    First, what? I'm tired of that first fallacy. Why can't people accept that fiction-wise, Transformers ARE alive. Don't project what you know of robots and machines humans built onto what is clearly sentient, living life.
    Our organic bodies are machines as well. Our brain is like a computer. Our eyes are like lenses, shutters included. Our heart is a pump.

Second, I don't think it's exactly true turtles and crocodiles can't die of old age. They've never really been able to fully prove it, since eventually they all die from injuries or disease..but isn't that exactly what happens to creatures that do die from aging? We start piling up error after error within our cell duplication system, but eventually it's an injury or disease that kills you.
    But you are right that they don't age as in growing physically older and weaker, or so it seems! :) 

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  12. kryptofred

kryptofred super-con

Ebay:
    Interesting. This is definatly what I was looking for. That is a good example of a transformer reaching a point that he just cannot be repaired anymore. Thank you.

Of course he ends up dieing in an explosion but whatever.

Well, two things. I know that Kup is older than Prime but Prime was in stasis for 4 million years. If we accept that stasis will stop or severly slow the aging proccess then kup doesn't really have to be that much older than Prime or Ironhide in terms of years, just in time spent living.

Second thing is, while I cited several instances of what could be considered disease I haven't seem one that actually kills. Do you have an example of a TF dieing from something akin to robot disease?

I get that nobody has "old age" written as cause of death on their death certificate, that's why I included the term "natural causes". Basically Im looking for someone who wasn't killed in some act of violence or an accident. As for humans not dieing, all we really know is that our brains (usually) outlast everything else. I suspect their will still be a limit to what our minds can take even if humans figure out how to replace everthing else.

Not alive? What are you talking about? Of course they're alive! Just because they're not carbon based life doesn't mean they're not alive. The whole point of my post was that because they're alive there should be some sort of a stressor that would push on their "lifeforce" and eventually cause them to die.

I did not know about the turtles et al. That's very interesting...I may have to revise my thinking on how life works somewhat now...

13. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Uh, they feel emotions, anger, rage, love, hatred, compassion, everything we define as being "alive". Not to mention that they have souls of their own, including an Afterlife, complete with a Heaven and Hell.

Transformers are living sentient machines. They are not just robots.

14. DinoFreakUSA

DinoFreakUSA Well-Known Member

I think that the closest thing to "natural" deaths with Transformers is when they get too old and cannot get or process enough energy.

15. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

I always thought the TF were essentially immortal and don't age as we do [because they lack hormones and because their body shape technically never changes, so they can be eternally 20-years old in their minds].

I always thought they could only die in those ways:

1 - Wounds. Obviously.

2 - Lack of Energon for a long time, and I mean really freaking long, from decades to millenia.

16. Deathimus Prime

Deathimus Prime Prime

If Transformers could die of old age(even though they can't) then Jetfire in revenge of the fallen wouldn't be able to help sam, bumblebee and the others as he wouldn't be alive. So proof that Transformers age but don't die of age

17. Transfotaku

Transfotaku Transformer Otaku

Not at all. Jetfire could still have been in his natural lifespan, just towards the end of it. Just like a human being at age 86.

18. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

your logic is flawed.

We dont know exactly how old Jetfire was, he could of been near the end of his life span, or just middle age.

19. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

I think Jetfire only aged due the lack of Energon [that caused his body to rust and his structures to become weaker, him becoming completely bat shit insane might also be related], Jetfire himself seems to somewhat mention that ["Without Energon we all oxydize and rust, LIKE MY WRETCHED SELF!"].

20. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think Transformers could pretty much live forever, as long as they don't run out of energon and don't die in an unnatural way such as battle wounds.