Transformer's names

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by UltraPrimus56, Jul 23, 2012.

1. UltraPrimus56

UltraPrimus56 In the ruins of paradise

How are they given their names? Is it like us where either after birth, or our name is already thought of ahead of time?

P.S. Who would you like to hear speak in cybertronian?

2. jackgaughan

jackgaughan Interner Soldier

News Credits:
    Well in Animated, they had them given out like codenames.

3. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Depends on the franchise. Sometimes, they choose them themselves, often changing them after a reformat.

In the Bayverse? I think they're the closest english/human transliterations of Cybertronian words and concepts used as names.

4. Jakest123

Jakest123 Well-Known Member

I think they're nicknames, but the Primes are probably given names at birth.
    Bumblebee - his colour scheme
    Ironhide - his tough attitude and strong armour
    Jazz - he's cool and smooth
    Starscream - he... screams a lot
    Blackout - he can literally black out an entire military base

The list goes on.

5. Optimus1138

Optimus1138 Minecraft Addict

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This makes sense.

6. The Swordsman

The Swordsman The REAL hero of Hyrule

News Credits:
    I can see that being the case, in Cybertronian someone like Ironhide could be called 'DOOMAKUMATTOWARALI', Shockwave could be 'MEETONGAMEETONGADESIGUMA" and Fortress Maximus could be 'JOOM', but they would translate into their English names.

7. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Well, no, more like "Bumblebee" is the closest approximation we have to "Stingtastic Iaconian Kill-sect" and Ironhide is a transliteration of a cybertronian term for "The thick plating that shall not be pierced".

Everyone knows JOOM is just Cerebros' name.

8. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    It depends on the franchise, as Aernaroth said. Beast Wars apparently had them change their names (from whatever their pre-existing names were) based on their newly acquired alt modes. *Cheetor looks at his new cheetah mode in the reflection* "Rawr! I'm Cheetor!" Meanwhile Rhinox steps out of the shadows: "Living large is for guys like me, Rhinox!" They apparently felt the need to re-introduce themselves to each other with new names. Makes you wonder if Rattrap was named Rattrap, even when he was only a small Cybertronian motorcycle. Or what the logic behind a name like "Tarantulas" would be if he turned into a Cybertronian tank. I'm pretty sure there's a comic somewhere of the BW characters in vehicle modes (prior to the events of BW). They still have their animal names, despite being in regular Cybertronian alt modes. Or how Armada Smokescreen becomes Hoist, Energon Inferno becomes Roadblock, Cylconus becomes Snowcat, Tidal Wave becomes Mirage, Megatron to Galvatron, etc.. Sort of like how Jesus was all "Simon? LOL, no. Imma' call you Peter now."

Or how Animated Sentinel gave them nicknames that they stuck with.

I'm assuming for the most part, they're pre-established names, likes humans.

In short, I really don't think there's an established rhyme or reason for it, beyond Hasbro's decisions.

Since we've never really heard any Transformers outside of the movieverse actually speak Cybertronian at all (correct me if I'm wrong), I'd like to hear the movieverse Autobots. Hearing Optimus, Wheelie, Ironhide, Jetfire or Sentinel be all "Gwish ne top, fala disch re grahn!" would be cool.

9. GreednGluttony

GreednGluttony grumpy smurf

hasbro gives them their names

10. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

I always went with the idea their english names are translations of their original ones, like Aernaroth said. And names like "Optimus", "Megatron" and "Unicron" being names without translation.

Following a vaguely similar logic to some of our names [for instance, "Tyler" comes from an old english word that means door keeper of inn or "Maker of titles", "Matthew" means "Gift of God", Gavin is derived from an ancient word for "White Hawk", e.t.c]

11. daitarn red

daitarn red bionic hero

orion pax come optiumus prime

12. JetFormers

JetFormers « Ultima Ratio Hecate »

News Credits:
    Respond to your P.S, I would love to hear Mirage from Dotm to speak Cybertronian with that awesome Italian accent. Sounding cool, slick, while speaking a alien language would be different.

13. Zhadow

Zhadow Oh hi there

I bet it's their agenda that most of them have specific names to resemble eachother, like Bulkhead being bulk and Bumblebee having the colour scheme of a bee, that kind of stuff.

14. Rewind Eject

Rewind Eject Well-Known Member

I always thought that after a certain amount of time and maturation, a naming ceremony gave them an appropiate and fitting name like in Animated. So, Ironhide is named for his toughness, Starscream for his voice, and so on and so on. If your namer hates you, you become Slag.