Transformers Movie Voyager Ironhide and Starscream in Philippine Soil

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by firstpredacon, Apr 3, 2007.

1. Hobbes-timus Prime

Hobbes-timus Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't. Never said I did.

Go America! We're half the box office. Good for us!

But my point is that not considering the rest of the world as a market loses you half, sometimes more, of your box office. No business wants to lose half of it's profit, ever. So I don't think the movie makers are as completely "American movie made by Americans for Americans" as you are. The audience in the rest of the world isn't the driving force behind every choice Hollywood makes, but you're nuts if you think they don't think that audience isn't important to them.

I know jack about the toy industry. I wasn't speaking to that point. But movies, thems I know. So, I was commenting to your "American movie made by Americans for Americans" attitude. It doesn't work that way.

That's just childish.

Have you seen his show?

If the Americans that produced the film have no problem with it opening in other countries before America, why should you?

2. Starscream NZ

Starscream NZ Well-Known Member

News Credits:

Wow, you are incredibly narrow-minded. Should I be kicking up such a stink because Black Sheep (a locally produced movie) was shown first at around the world before it was shown here? No, I have no reason to kick up that stink, just because it was locally made and produced doesn't mean that i'm going to throw a tanty people in other countries before me saw it.

And, for all your 'pro-Americanism' don't forget that TF started out in Japan, and they house a big part of the fandom, just as much as Australia, Canada, Europe, New Zealand and Asia do.

Lucky for me the movie is coming out July 2 (July 1st in US time) so I can sit in the cinema and enjoy it, knowing full well you're going to have to wait. I'm not usually a nasty guy but the person you're portraying yourself as will make me feel extra good about seeing that film early, hopefully get the toys quicker too.

3. agravlin

agravlin Bearer of Reason

Agreed. We're an impressive bracket.

I never said "for Americans", nor did I ever say that the rest of the world should be deprived of the movie. For the love of God, stop putting words in my mouth. There is very little that's less respectable than that in an argument. You should read my posts again so you can tell what I'm actually saying - which happens to have absolutely nothing to do with witholding the film from other countries.

It doesn't work in a way in-which the producing country which happens to be the largest portion of the box office, receives the movie before other nations that are a small portion. Like I said (and you can't seem to get through your thick skull), I absolutely do not believe that other nations shouldn't receive the movie. I'm simply saying that the country that created the film, and the country that provides the largest portion of the profits, should probably be receving the film first. Does that not make sense? It seems so simple, so I don't see how it couldn't.

How is it childish to point out exactly what you're doing? You can't face the point I'm trying to get across, so you misconstrue it in a way that suits you.

I have, and you'd have to have some kind of mental handicap to believe that Stephen Colbert's host character is actually the patriotic, Right-minded American that he's portraying for the sake of bashing and satirizing such an individual. Stephen Colbert wouldn't say what I'm saying. In reality, he'd support the "put other countries before ourselves" bullcrap that the progressive moonbats preach.

Not all Americans are as reasonable as I am, I suppose. What I'm arguing is not a difficult concept.

Well, I suppose it is for some people...

4. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    You do realize that those, or any other movie toys (with maybe the exception of protoform Prime and Screamer which are due imminently) arnt actually "out" yet anywhere right and that those are most likely leaked factory samples or something?

Many Asian countries like Hong Kong will most likely be getting the movie toy stuff a little bit before we do regardless. This is really nothing new, it's pretty much been the case with every TF line since, well a wile now.

Either way all this changes absolutely nothing, the date to mark on your calenders is June 2, if some places get these toys a little bit earlier I don't see what the big deal is, like I said it's not like this is without precedent and is in practice very common.

5. Hobbes-timus Prime

News Credits:
    When did I say "withhold"? Don't put words in my mouth. There's very little that's less respectable than that in an argument.

Clearly not.

Every box office number I posted is real. To take evidence that backs up my side and suddenly accuse me of misconstruing facts and assigning me a "type" is incredibly childish.

A film's release date is such a trivial matter, arguing that it qualifies as putting other countries before our own is exactly the kind of parody Colbert does brilliantly.

6. agravlin

Congratulations on spending 75% of your reply not even responding to what I had to say.

You implied withhold because you suggested that I said "for America", as if I'm saying that the movie is only made for this country. Are you even going to acknowledge the fact that you just completely made that up?

Thank you for ignoring nearly every one of my perfectly valid points.

And if you can't find any other explanation for 50% of the marketshare not receiving the movie first, then don't start suggesting that what I'm saying is anything remotely close to what Colbert does. I had perfectly good reasoning behind my support of America receiving the movie first, but as I said, you ignore anything that doesn't support your side. Typical.

7. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    Um guys when the hell did dreamworks announce that the movie was going to be shown earlier in other countries? Or did someone just get the movie toys mixed up with the movie itself?

Its like soundwave.ca says, an upcoming toy typically hits asia first and thats because the factories that produce them are in asia. If hasbro had factories in america that made transformers, I'm sure we'd get the toys first. Makes sense geographically.

Anyways my fellow filipinos in the philippines, I hope the msrp there is actually a lot lower than what that store was charging, talagang ng paka mahal yan!

8. agravlin

You've missed some news items on the TFW index. Lots of other countries are getting the movie before the US is getting it.

9. Starscream NZ

News Credits:
    For the love of primus, shut UP!

Everyone that's 'arguing' with you have made perfectly clear, and reasonable statements, you on the other hand are just acting like you've got a bad case of the Teenage Angst. You're also being very critial of everyone else, when they are not even being rude. You're saying that people are ignoring 'your side' yet you ignore theirs....

10. Hobbes-timus Prime

News Credits:
    I will say I apologize if you feel I misrepresented your argument, but "for Americans" doesn't mean "keep away from other people". Plenty of products in the world are produced for one demographic, and bought and enjoyed by another.

Makeup and men who cross-dress, for instance (this is not a judgment call, just an example).

I hereby renounce the phrase "for Americans" from my posts. It doesn't change my point, which is twofold:

1) When the movie comes out is trivial. American produced films opening first in other countries has happened before, particularly in the case of these big blockbuster films, and has never impacted the American audience in any measurable way, good or bad.

2) The market(s) that exist outside of America are incredibly important to the studios, and would never be dismissed by the studios as easily as you seem to think they should be.

Go ahead and have the last word. I'm done here.

11. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    Yes but.........all these toys coming out of these "other countries" as you put it are tests shots and samples NOT mass release, there's a big difference.

12. Starscream NZ

News Credits:
    It should be noted that those Protoform figures were out at Walmart.com WAY before Israel randomly got them in stock. Has anywhere else in the world had the protoforms show up on their shelves? No?

I called my national Hasbro office yesterday and they confirmed it'd be a June 2 shelf date for the TF toys.

13. QuantumShock

QuantumShock Stay for brunch ?

News Credits:
    *raise hand*

I thought only South Korea and Australia get earl screening...

14. Shin Densetsu

News Credits:
    Okay transformers is a worldwide franchise with fans all over the world, hasbro will get money from anyone willing to give it whether in or out of the US, 2 countries are getting the movie shown early, samples and testshots are out illegally outside of the US, and recently show up in the philippines along with a few others shown previously in asia in box which means that they should hit US shelves in the next few months.

Thats the gist and this should stay on topic. I wonder if anyone bought those 2 seen? If so, link up the reviews!

And yea testshots leaked prototypes and samples....how is ANY of this stuff exactly new? Its been happening more prominently since armada came out and that was 2002.

I love how theirs an argument all about how its not fair that countries outside of the US get illegally leaked samples and testshots.

15. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i concur. not hatin' but its misleading. ive a shop here too whos already selling wave 1 at scalped prices (FAB jazz, prime; blackout and some others). most likely source directly from HK and definitely 'unofficial'.

kudos tho for bringing them early.

16. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    umm...NO.

btw, whatsup with the troll derailing the topic with patriotism and all that? its just friggin toys. i didnt register at TFW-GO-USA!-2005.com. -.-'

17. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Veteran

News Credits:
    Accusing someone of having some kind of mental handicap is a sure fire way to getting yourself outed on our boards. Again, you're treading a very fine line my friend.

18. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

First off, I already 'corrected' myself after someone else disagreed with my wording.

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showpost.php?p=1201856&postcount=56

But regardless of what words I chose, these toys are NOT supposed to be being sold at all and haven't even begun being shipped out yet. So regardless of the terminology people are not supposed to be selling these items for profit yet.

Also, what Captain America seems to be so upset about is the fact that the US, which when broken down into more then just an 'us or them' argument, is the main money maker for this film and is getting the film(not once did he seem to mention any of the toys and if he did I missed it) after a few other countries, who on their own won't amount to half the profits of the US. HOWEVER, I have already answered WHY the US will be getting it later then some, and that is due to the movie makers decision.

It is being released on the fourth of july here, a US only holiday that no other country in the world celebrates. This falls on a wednesday, the middle of the week, meaning that they pushed the date back by at least five days so it can land on this holiday, as usually movies are released to the general public on fridays. But because this is a holiday, which many people have off, that falls in the middle of the week, which many people will take off, they stand to make more money by extending it's 'debut' period. Instead of just three days culminating in it's opening weekend's profits, it will have five. BUT, it's official world wide debut WILL be in the US. But it is an invite only hollywood type of affair not open to joe schmoes like ourselves. So we(US) do get it first technically, just a small amount of 'us'.

As for the Stephen Colbert comments, I can understand why someone would be offended by being compared to him. He's an actor who *acts* like an over the top, right wing nut and does so in parody of a more serious 'conservative' news program host. Stephen Colbert does nothing but mock much of the right winged side of this country so to those who really are on that side of the political debate, who are without a decent sense of humor, can easily be offended by being compared to him.

On an unrelated note, anyone else wonder when we'll get to see some of the wave two deluxes? We've seen all of the voyagers and everything from wave one, but none of the lil guys in Wave two have appeared yet. Here's hoping some of the repaints, bonecrusher, '08 BB and the other 'non-movie' molds are on the higher end of the quality scale of this line.

19. Shin Densetsu

News Credits:
    I think we've all had enough of the "America, %^&*( yea!" topic, lets get back onto the REAL topic!

Leaked toys are nothing new. If you wanted to make a big deal about it you're 4 years late.

Anyways I wonder if anyone bought the 2 sited in the store and if there are more reviews up.

20. Nerdicon

Nerdicon Caffene=Energon

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think Screamer's face resembles Thrust from Armada, Minus the conehead.