Customs: Transformers Movie Video Game Drones

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Jedi_Master_Ben, Dec 2, 2007.

1. Jedi_Master_Ben

Jedi_Master_Ben Well-Known Member

Hey Everyone,

I notice the other day as I was reading my Transformers The Movie video game guide that there were two different head designs for the same model drones. The decepticons all had that single eye piece/ lence for a face and the autobots had two eys and a face mask/ guard for thier face. The rest of the head design stayed the same. In addition, Dropkick head design is wrong, the head they used is for an autobot drone.

So I was thinking of retooling those heads to complete the drones, especially now that most of the 2008 line will have repaints gallor. What I would like to know is how important is it to have those transparent light piping? I was thinking of just molding and cast a working copy to sculpt on and then mold the new design and send it off to GTG. But if the light piping is needed, I will have to figure out a way to remove them so I can continue the retooling.

So, what do you all think?

2. ShadowStitch

ShadowStitch vectoring the hate plague

News Credits:
    If you're talking about somehow recasting/resculpting proper heads for the lame-ass camera-eye drones.... I'm all for it. I hate those things so much.

Though it would be nice if the heads weren't EXACT copies of Dropkick's, because despite the game's canon, I'd like to think of the toys as individual characters with distinct personalities as opposed to just TMNT Foot Soldiers...

3. thoughtcrime

thoughtcrime Well-Known Member

I actually dont mind the camera-head on Payload, it works for him. I passed on Dreadwing and Swindle, as they have a lot of problems bigger than the face, so they dont exist to me.

4. TonyzCustomz

TonyzCustomz TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm actually in the process of repainting a Dropkick to more look like the DS games autobot character, blue with white stripe on the side. JMB I think that with the right painting skills one does not need light piping, do what you think looks best.

5. Kouri

Kouri kupo

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I'm not sure how it is with Swindle, but Payload's head already has the light piping piece built in. The black lens piece pops right out of the back and leads all the way from the lens to the back of the head. Recast that piece in a translucent piece of plastic and you've got instant light piping. If Swindle's head is the same way, the process of fixing the Decepticon drones would be as simple as a bunch of headswaps.

6. Hooper_X

Hooper_X hit dogs holler

Wait until after x-mas when they might clearance some overstock, pick up the Swindles that go on sale, swap the head onto Dropkick for Movie Game Flair.

-hx

7. Detour

Detour TFWiki.net, use it!

News Credits:
    I'd like for Camshaft (Swindle's repaint) to have the Autobot Drone head but the other ones I'm fine with as is. I like Dropkick's head as is, it breaks the monotony of nonstop Decepticon lensheads.

Light piping isn't that big a deal, but if you can get it done it'd be a plus.

Also, I think Camshaft could use some hands that look less like Decepticon hands. Those 3-finger hands are more of a Decepticon aesthetic than an Autobot one.

8. Jedi_Master_Ben

Jedi_Master_Ben Well-Known Member

Thanks Everyone for responding. I am sure that this will be a great project to take on. Most of the heads used can be popped off and I can mold and cast a set with out fork over $40 or $50 more dollars just to mod heads. I do not think any of the TF figures will be clearanced out, especially since they are constantly being sold out here in GA. Detour, for Camshaft hands, I would think Longarm hands would be a good swap if they fit.

9. Kouri

Kouri kupo

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    If you're going to be casting the lens heads, I just took a look at some photographs of Swindle and he's got the same type of lens piece that Payload does. Reproduce that chunk in transparent plastic and you've got a light-piping head that'll fit on almost any balljointed neck. ^^ I'd probably be interested in picking up at least a couple.