Transformers Movie Promotional Package - Board Games

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Joe Moore, Jun 20, 2007.

1. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    TFW2005 has received another Transformers Movie promotional package. This package contains the newly released board games that include Transformers The Movie licensing. Included were the Chess Set, Stratego, Risk and the Battling Card Game.

Transformers Movie Chess

The Transformers The Movie Chess set is, in my opinion, the gem of the group. I feel this way because I enjoy the game of chess in general, and the game pieces usually make excellent display pieces. The game pieces are made of a soft, bendable, plastic. Each piece is extremely detailed, especially considering the size of the pieces. The Autobots are presented in a golden brown, while the Decepticons are silver. All the pieces have a nice black wash over them that really helps show off the detailing. The wash adds a nice aged look to the pieces. The Autobots have Optimus Prime at King, Ironhide at Queen, Bumblebee at Knight, Jazz at Bishop, Ratchet at Rook and an Autobot Symbol at Pawn. The Decepticons have Megatron at King, Starscream at Queen, Blackout at Knight, Barricade at Bishop, Bonecrusher at Rook and a Decepticon symbol at Pawn. The board is nicely detailed, with set sides for the Autobots and Decepticons. Teh board itself resembles a monitor with transparent squares for the game pieces to move around on. Overall, I would highly recommend this set for chess fans and Transformers fans looking for an interesting non-toy addition to their collection.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Full Gallery Here

Transformers Movie Risk

The Transformers Movie Risk set is fairly interesting. The Risk set comes with 4 color sets, each with 2 pieces; 1 robot and 1 attack vehicle. These pieces are extremely tiny, but have a surprising amount of detail. The set also comes with 4 "Transforming" game pieces. Represented are Optimus Prime, Megatron, Bumblebee and Barricade. By placing the pieces face down, you can put the pieces into vehicle mode. The board shows a zoomed out view of Cybertron, with each zone bearing a Transformers related location. The game cards show nice CG images of a few of the movie Transformers such as Optimus Prime and Megatron. As I said before, this is an interesting piece, but may only appeal to hardcore collectors and Risk fans.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Full Gallery Here

Transformers Movie Stratego

The Transformers The Movie Stratego is a Target exclusive board game. Stratego may be the most visually striking of the available Transformers Movie board games. The package is by far the most eye-catching of the group. The board is a nicely detailed overhead artistic rendering of the Dam from the movie, with some explosions thrown in. Each end of the board is marked for the Autobots or Decepticons, with images of each character that is represented by game pieces. The stickers for the game pieces represent movie characters such as Sam, Lenox, Epps as well as Transformers like Megatron and Optimus Prime. The game itself will likely appeal only to the hardcore collector or Stratego fan, but the board itself would make an excellent start to a diorama.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Full Gallery Here

Transformers Movie Battling Card Game

Not to be confused with the 3D Battling Card Game, this is a set of standard-sized playing cards. There is an Optimus Set and a Megatron set. Each card represents an attack, strategy or point value. The card designs are quite nice, with new artwork for each card. This is a nice change of pace compared to the CG images being used on most licensed products. Fans of card games, or those just looking to display some nice card designs should be pleased with this set.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Full Gallery Here

2. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Chess set looks nice.

However I am a bit confused. You used both Rook and Castle...but those are the same pieces. I'm assuming one is meant to be Bishop..but which?

Also, have to say it...lucky bastard, that all would run a fair bit at retail wouldn't it?

3. DeceptiKreep

DeceptiKreep Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sweet! Thanks for posting these!

4. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Stratego's a blast, although I haven't played it with the optional rules. Nice new board and TF tie-in pieces makes it even more fun for a fan. It's coming to BotCon with me.

5. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Fixed.

6. alphie

alphie Veteran

News Credits:
    Glad to know about the Chess game and the battling card game. Hoping to get both someday. :D 

7. Maximus_Prime

Maximus_Prime Graphicon

News Credits:
    you know even though you want a powerful Transformer to be the queen I still think Arcee should've been the queen for the obvious :p 

8. MaxxieOD

MaxxieOD Jazz is my homebot

News Credits:
    Jazz on the 'Bot side is the bishop. Blackout on the 'Con side. The rooks are Rachet and Bonecrusher.

EDIT - gotta a better look at it...Blackout is actually a knight, Barricade is the bishop.

9. krapslla

krapslla New Member

that chess set looks pretty hardcore. Very nice. Will be getting it.
    Now ... if only we get some news or pic of statues or busts or dioramas from the movie. Dying to see what exactly will be coming out.

10. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ditto, Isn't there supposed to be a Transformers "Sorry" game too?

11. ChaoCatcher

ChaoCatcher Anarchist Autobot

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Got all the board games (and the Battling Card Game) so far, except for the chess set... can't wait to get my hands on it! Always loved board games (I even recently got my hands on the old G1 "Defeat the Decepticons" board game!), and chess has always been a fave. I only wish that expensive G1 chess set had a bigger variety of pieces - as it is, I can't justify spending $250 for a game that comes with 8 Bumblebee pawns and duplicates of other higher-ranking characters, when they could've done SO much more with it. But the Movie set... yeah, I'm definitely digging it. :D 

Now, how about a Transformers mah jong set, Hasbro?

12. thygriever

thygriever Optimus Prime

News Credits:
    the chess set looks cool but prime and megatron being king is kinda weird because in chess, those are essentially the pieces you don't use because you can't kill anything with them. Contrary to the real transformers, in which Prime and Megatron are the strongest.

13. turk128

turk128 Well-Known Member

It'll be kinda akward to have them be queens....